Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 06:59 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
That was #5 on my list.

Apologies. I missed that one. My old eyes have a harder time reading things when they aren't spaced out some. Carry on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 07:22 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Simple ... mandate that Absentee Ballots must go out a full month before the .election and returned by the Military. There is ZERO excuse for any Ballot, for any reason to not be in the hands of the Election Official by close of the Election on the .National Day Of Voting.

^^^^This.

The states should establish and maintain their own election procedures. As long as they are sufficiently rigorous to ensure that only proper votes are counted and that all votes are in by election day, that is fine. There is definitely room for some flexibility in procedures here.

The DOJ has a unit that is responsible for monitoring the states for voter and election fraud. That is the federal government's role.

The constitution establishes the day of the election. Congress and the President need to pass a law clarifying that ALL votes must be in by election day - full stop. As long as everyone knows about this at least a year in advance, there is no reason that it should be a burden or a disadvantage to either side - unless one of the two sides is wanting to cheat.

Old 11-06-2020, 09:52 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The states should establish and maintain their own election procedures. As long as they are sufficiently rigorous to ensure that only proper votes are counted and that all votes are in by election day, that is fine. There is definitely room for some flexibility in procedures here.
But isn't that the point? We are seeing that some jurisdictions are not being sufficiently rigorous. They are either howlingly incompetent or they are deliberately bad.

Quote:
The DOJ has a unit that is responsible for monitoring the states for voter and election fraud. That is the federal government's role.
The DoJ doesn't "monitor", which implies "watches", they come in AFTER voting is done and counted and then they investigate. That won't catch the cheating as it happens and may not later if evidence is destroyed.

Quote:
The constitution establishes the day of the election. Congress and the President need to pass a law clarifying that ALL votes must be in by election day - full stop. As long as everyone knows about this at least a year in advance, there is no reason that it should be a burden or a disadvantage to either side - unless one of the two sides is wanting to cheat.
Well yes, one of the two sides wants to cheat. They always have.

Old 11-14-2020, 10:26 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Article 1 Section IV Clause 1 of the Constitution says:

Throughout our long history Congress has been very restrained in not interfering with how states set up their election process. I think the time has come for Congress to act and create national standards. Here are my proposals.

1) All voter information as to (whether) has someone voted or requested a ballot, should remain private.
2) Ballot harvesting shall be illegal in all states and territories.
3) Mail-in ballots may only be requested.
4) Early voting may not extend for more than 14 calendar days before an election.
5) Early voting and mail in ballots may be tabulated before election day, but causing any information of the results to be released before polls close on election day shall be a federal crime punishable by a term no less than 5 years, nor more than 15.
6) Voter rolls shall be cleansed before 180 days every election cycle in accordance with existing federal law. Failure to do so shall be a federal crime punishable for no less than 3 years and no more than 10 years.
7) Mail-in ballots must be postmarked no later than the day before the election and arrive no later than 3 calendar days after the polls close to be valid.
8) Signatures for mail-in ballots or voting in person must match the signature on file.
9) Online voting shall be banned until a state can prove the site cannot be hacked, UOCAVA is excepted.
10) No results can be released on election day until the polls have closed in every state.
I asked this question two days before the election. I think several, including counting mail-in votes as they come in would have ended this debacle days ago.

On a side note, I personally don't like the idea of early voting, I think if you can't get to the pools on election day then you request an absentee ballot. But I understand that that would never pass so as a compromise I (if I was a lawmaker) would agree to a reasonable time frame. What compromise would you be willing to make to get an election process everyone could believe in?

Old 11-14-2020, 10:32 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
I do like the election system in place for our state as it stands, so I have little interest in seeing significant changes. I definitely don't like all these various techniques of voter suppression; every valid ballot from every citizen voter that is handed to the government on or before election day must be counted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies