Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What effect do you believe voter fraud has on our elections?
I believe fraud is a major factor in deciding our elections. 17 45.95%
I believe fraud is a problem, but it's effect on election results is minor. 10 27.03%
I believe voter fraud is truly rare, and has no effects on election results. 10 27.03%
I would commit voter fraud to throw my candidates another vote. 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 11:30 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times

Advertisements

According to my county's Board of Elections, my wife voted in 2012. Problem is...she didn't.

Stay in line and move along, citizen. Nothing to see here. Everything is going just as it should. Stay orderly and don't make trouble.

Last edited by Roboteer; 11-01-2020 at 11:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 12:16 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
That's right folks. My wife and I just last night were checking our voting status using our county's website to make sure that our change of address in late 2019 had been updated in the system so that we'd definitely know where our polling place was for Tuesday.

We also decided to make sure our 2 children were indeed registered correctly as they will both be voting for the first time this election. My daughter is 18, and my son is 20. But never mind that, I'm getting off point.

The real point here is while checking our status there was also a tool to show our voting history. And as crazy as it sounds to some, it appears my wife voted in 2012 without ever actually going to the polls. 2012 was a tumultuous time for us, and neither of us actually voted in that election. We both voted in 2008 though. And the next vote after 2008 that we both took part in was the 2016 primary.

Yet somehow, my wife managed to cast a vote without actually voting. Something so many of you here on this site, and out there in the world, claim almost never happens. And now, I'm left wondering just what should we do about this, if anything? I mean, the election in question is far in the past. There is no changing anything about how it turned out. But should I bring this to the board's attention, or would I just be wasting a part of my day?

I mean, there's probably no way on earth they could ever figure out who cast a vote in my wife's name. Yet it bothers me that this happened, and I would like something done about it. Regardless, this is absolutely an example of the same kind of voter fraud many Americans feel could be happening on a grand scale in almost every election. Because I'm sorry, if I've found an example of voter fraud right here in my very small slice of America, odds are this sort of thing is taking place all across America. And that can't be allowed to continue.
Uh huh. The one election you and your wife miss, happens to be the one where the PTB used her voting record to cast a mysterious vote...

That's a pretty wild coincidence since any other year, your wife would be on the hook for voter fraud, right?

Old 11-02-2020, 05:02 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Uh huh. The one election you and your wife miss, happens to be the one where the PTB used her voting record to cast a mysterious vote...

That's a pretty wild coincidence since any other year, your wife would be on the hook for voter fraud, right?
Not sure where you are trying to go with this, but that isn't the only election we missed. I clearly stated in either my OP or another post that we both voted in 2008, and the next election we both participated in was the 2016 primary. So the 2010, 2012, and 2014 election years were all a mixed bag. I voted most of those years but I didn't in 2012 just as my wife didn't. Voting was the last thing on our minds at the time to be honest. And my wife only took part in the 2010 election after 2008. After 2010, she didn't vote again until 2016 primary. So no, it wasn't the one election we missed. We've missed several elections. And as far as I can see, there's only one instance of possible fraud. Not a wild coincidence at all when you remove your assumption that we take part in every election. I never said that, you simply made that up in order to post your little hit piece here. If what I said happened didn't happen, I wouldn't have posted this thread. Period. And if the board of elections comes back to me with a reasonable answer for my questions, I'll post that as well. Nothing strange or wild about this. But it is funny to see some of you squirm at the idea that maybe, just maybe, voter fraud is a real thing and not just something made up by your personal boogie-man Donald Trump.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:05 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryoVilla View Post
Democrats said I could vote twice, so I did using my old and new address. I voted for Joe Biden.
There was an option for this in the poll. You should have voted.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:08 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Maybe she voted & forgot about it. 8 years ago, is a long time to remember what you did on a certain day.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I grew up in Michigan and it was the very first place I registered to vote when I turned 18. I continued to vote in Michigan while I was in college since I didn't know where I would end up. When I graduated college and moved to another state I registered there at the age of 22. Since then I have moved states five times and registered to vote every time I moved. I am now 50.

In this election cycle I was getting barraged by texts, emails and even a few phone calls from Michigan. Suspicious, I checked my registration status in Michigan. You guessed it - still showing as an active voter. The site didn't give votign history so I don't know whether a vote was ever cast in Michigan in my name. I certainly hope not. At any rate I de-registered as soon as I realized it.

I checked all the other states I had voted in to make sure I wasn't still registered in any of those states and thankfully I was not.

My last move I pro-actively de-registered but before that I never thought to do it. I think I assumed that registering in one place would cancel out my previous registration, like a driver's license, or that it would be purged in due course. In each case where I've proactively de-registered there was no information readily available about how to do it. I had to proactively contact the elections office for instructions. When I did this in Florida there wsn't even a process to do it.

This needs to be fixed. There needs to be a deregistration process as well as a registration process. Even if its just making a process readily available and educating people when they register that they need to de-register in their last state that would be a start.
I use to live in Georgia. In 2016 when there was a fuss because the Trumps were registered in two states, I checked. I was still on the list in Georgia. So I then contacted Georgia State Electoral Board and had my name removed.

The voter registration lists aren't updated annually....so when you move it make take until the next election cycle to be removed.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
That's right folks. My wife and I just last night were checking our voting status using our county's website to make sure that our change of address in late 2019 had been updated in the system so that we'd definitely know where our polling place was for Tuesday.

We also decided to make sure our 2 children were indeed registered correctly as they will both be voting for the first time this election. My daughter is 18, and my son is 20. But never mind that, I'm getting off point.

The real point here is while checking our status there was also a tool to show our voting history. And as crazy as it sounds to some, it appears my wife voted in 2012 without ever actually going to the polls. 2012 was a tumultuous time for us, and neither of us actually voted in that election. We both voted in 2008 though. And the next vote after 2008 that we both took part in was the 2016 primary.

Yet somehow, my wife managed to cast a vote without actually voting. Something so many of you here on this site, and out there in the world, claim almost never happens. And now, I'm left wondering just what should we do about this, if anything? I mean, the election in question is far in the past. There is no changing anything about how it turned out. But should I bring this to the board's attention, or would I just be wasting a part of my day?

I mean, there's probably no way on earth they could ever figure out who cast a vote in my wife's name. Yet it bothers me that this happened, and I would like something done about it. Regardless, this is absolutely an example of the same kind of voter fraud many Americans feel could be happening on a grand scale in almost every election. Because I'm sorry, if I've found an example of voter fraud right here in my very small slice of America, odds are this sort of thing is taking place all across America. And that can't be allowed to continue.

Looks like there were 3 elections in NC in 2012:

Primary- 5/8

Primary Run- off- 7/17

General- 11/6

Are you absolutely certain your wife did not vote in any of these elections?

If there is certainty, pursue it once the dust from the current election settles.

If someone voted in your wife’s name in 2012, there would need to have been reasonable certainty, she was not voting. Who would have known this?

Romney won the General Election in NC.
McCrory ( R) won the Governor race.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Where’s the option for “she snuck out of the house and voted and you never knew”? Sounds more plausible than your options.
There were 3 elections in NC in 2012, Primary, Run- off and General.

It’s more likely she voted in one of these elections, than “ sneaking out of the house” as suggested.

Old 11-02-2020, 05:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I'm still trying to get my head around you waiting until the Sunday before the election to verify your registration. YIKES!!!! Why would you wait so long? What if there had been a problem?

Anyways -- oh yeah -- and the whole helicopter parent thing --- let those kids check their own registration. They can vote, they can check. Do you help them with WHO to vote for? No -- so why do you have to make sure they registered? (aw come on now I'm not the only one who thought that -- lol).

AND -- contact your local electoral board and submit an official complaint. They will have her signature next to her voting record and that can easily be verified.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My house's former owner moved out of state 7 years ago but he was registered at my address until I recently discovered it. He never voted after moving. I don't see how he could have without coming back to vote in person. If he moved somewhere in-state he would have had to change his rebistration. States need to do a better job of clearing registrations.

There is so little intentional fraud among single voters that it has no impact. There have been a few reports of organized efforts at voter fraud - a North Carolina GOP operative's vote tampering case comes to mind. Those are few and are usually discovered. The much greater threat is voter suppression as we have seen in the current election.
I used to move across states and within states with Some frequency. There is no question I was simultaneously registered in two states or counties at various points in time, especially when records were hard copy.

There is no national data base of registered voters. I have no idea how or if states update their records.

Then there are death records. Joe Blow is registered to vote in say Wisconsin. Joe winters in Arizona, where he passed away. His death certificate was issued by a county in Az. How would Wisconsin become aware Joe passed away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies