Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 12:12 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Looking at the UK and some other places lockdowns are back. Yet in the USA even the most liberal states appear to show restraint in doing the same thing here. My feeling is any lock-downs before the election would hurt Democrats and Biden. So that is why it has not happened thus far.

But the virus numbers are up, positivity rates are way up and sometime this week some states and or cities will announce lock down orders once again. That is my guess.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 12:16 PM

6,661 posts, read 2,966,569 times
I mean,..

do Democrats want a Federal order to mandate and enforce a One size fits all National Lockdown?

Or do like we have now,.where it is up to the States Governor to determine the extent of localized , targeted lockdowns?

Old 11-03-2020, 12:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
I do not think there will be a federal mandate.

Dr. Birx has so much as said that the lockdown isn't necessary but more aggressive measures in other areas.
It hasn’t been about lockdowns since March or April. It’s about an aggressive balanced approach that is not being implemented.”
One of these is promoting contact tracing. In Ontario Canada lhey were available to identify much of the recent spread to specific events and let those people know who may have been exposed. THEN people have the information they need to make good decisions.

I do think letting local communities and maybe even businesses decide is the key....but they have to have the information...not the contradicting messaging of - it is nothing but it is something. (The stats on hospitalizations etc. show we have turned a corner but not the one Trump thinks we have -- typical man -- lost again -- lol (I'm kidding on the lost thing -- well the typical man lost thing -- lol).

Old 11-03-2020, 12:45 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Lockdowns dont work, lockdowns are unnecessary, lockdowns are illegal, lockdowns kill and impoverish

Old 11-03-2020, 12:48 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Looking at the UK and some other places lockdowns are back. Yet in the USA even the most liberal states appear to show restraint in doing the same thing here. My feeling is any lock-downs before the election would hurt Democrats and Biden. So that is why it has not happened thus far.

But the virus numbers are up, positivity rates are way up and sometime this week some states and or cities will announce lock down orders once again. That is my guess.

What do you think?

I expect maybe 1 to 3 cities in the really cold climate may go into lockdown for a very short period of time. They would be the exception.

The rest of country will continue to open up.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:51 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,789,903 times
But NY State is still somewhat locked down and Cuomo even gave us new travel regulations yesterday.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:03 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
You will never get lock down in US unless you mean declaring stay at home order which will not be enforced. Even in UK it's not enforced order like it was in France, Italy and obviously China. When we had last time stay at home order, i know many people including me that ignored it and got together with friends and family. There was no road checkpoint etc and i suspect if we to have another stay at home order same thing will happen. With that being said, i am not seeing public supporting stay at home order this time around.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:08 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
In Pennsylvania there will be, is my bet. And it will be very unpopular.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:33 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Why would anyone do lockdowns? According to the experts all we need to do is wear masks-lockdowns are pointless. Even the WHO says lockdowns do more harm than good.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:57 AM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I expect maybe 1 to 3 cities in the really cold climate may go into lockdown for a very short period of time. They would be the exception.

The rest of country will continue to open up.

I went through New Mexico the other day. They still have quarantine warning signs all over the place. Warning anyone passing through or going to the state to quarantine. Believe me its gets you to get the heck out of there as fast as you can. Kills tourism. I talked to a barber. Totally shut down for 4 months. Now 25% capacity. Most of his competition is out of business. Same for a local lodge, I know the manager well. Can only be 1/2 full, not long ago 25%. Not that they will be full often. The state is busy trying to keep travelers away. If they followed the rules to the T they would have no customers since almost all their business is people traveling through.

So there the lock downs continue. And with the cases rising blue states and blue cities will lock down again and copy Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies