Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 03:25 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

When, at the 2016 Democratic convention, Khizr Khan referred to his dead son, killed in the war in Iraq, and spoke at Trump, saying, "You have sacrificed nothing!"--I thought of it in literal terms. We all knew that neither Trump nor his sons had been in the military, and we later saw that Trump only used the military as a prop for himself.

But I realized it really goes beyond that. The implication is that Trump had never suffered. Most people, by the time they're in their 60s or 70s, have suffered some najor loss. It could be the death of a loved one. It could be a catastrophic job loss. It could even be a natural disaster. But Trump seems to have just skimmed on the surface of life. He hasn't given any impression that his parents' death sent him into a tailspin. He claimed he was deeply saddened by the recent death of a brother, but there was no hint of a close relationship. He walked away from marriages. He has no close friends in the normal sense of the word. He has shrugged off his financial disasters--in fact, the pretends they weren't disasters at all.

So he has no empathy. You don't need to suffer to have empathy. Some people come by it naturally. But personal disaster is often a shock to the system, one that Trump has avoided. His niece Mary guesses that the illness of Trump's mother at an early age, where she wasn't around, resulted in Trump's being unable to ever have a close relationship with a woman--and while I don't know how accurate that is, it's certainly true that he discards people when they're no longer useful to him. It's no wonder he resorts to hookers.

You don't really need to like people, or to be empathetic, to be president. But it helps if you can at least fake it. But everything about Trump seems shallow. He's empty with people he likes (note how vague his compliments are) or casually vicious with people he doesn't. He seems to have no idea how normal people act in relationships. That's why he speaks of his own daughter in sexual terms. That's why he has no friends from his school days. That's why he usually can only talk about himself.

It's been interesting watching the political commercials. Biden's commercials are full of him talking to ordinary people who crowd around him. Not Trump's. I'm thinking that he's not really a germaphobe. It's just that he wants an excuse to avoid people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 03:31 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
yep....Trump's avoiding people like the plague

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phN31IhPjf8

Old 11-03-2020, 03:33 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Yet another automatic taunt from you. It's apparently all you're capable of - not capable of discussion or rebuttal.
Most of what you had in your post could apply to Obama, who sent off 2000 Americans to die in Afganistan without ever serving. Its nice to have a president that doesn't have us attacking and destroying other countries. Trump "Making America peaceful again!" MAGA

Old 11-03-2020, 03:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
You are wasting your breath. That Trump is a narcissist of the clinical and highest order means nothing to his fanatics. They see no danger in it. They think liberals are the devil and even a malevolent narcissist who would bring the whole country down if it didn't give him what he wants is preferable an evil devil liberal.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:46 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
yep....Trump's avoiding people like the plague
Come on, you know that's silly. I'm not talking about an event with people at a distance. I'm talking about up close and personal. Like Biden. But rarely Trump. With Trump you'll mostly only find him next to people he already knows or have been vetted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Most of what you had in your post could apply to Obama, who sent off 2000 Americans to die in Afganistan without ever serving. Its nice to have a president that doesn't have us attacking and destroying other countries. Trump "Making America peaceful again!"
In case you didn't notice, this post is about empathy and interaction, not about military service.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:51 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
It's been interesting watching the political commercials. Biden's commercials are full of him talking to ordinary people who crowd around him. Not Trump's. I'm thinking that he's not really a germaphobe. It's just that he wants an excuse to avoid people.
It isn't germ related. Trump is afraid of close personal contact in public. You rarely see it and it is always scripted and a photo-op; never spontaneous. And with good reason -- it almost never turns out as he hopes. Nobody kisses his feet. He needs a little distance and a screaming crowd of halfwits to stroke his ego. He expects people to be fawning over him and without shills and fake plants in crowds he might not get his "fix" of adoration. It is simply a personality flaw. He has five or six concentric barriers now to keep people from approaching the White House.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:07 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You are wasting your breath. That Trump is a narcissist of the clinical and highest order means nothing to his fanatics. They see no danger in it. They think liberals are the devil and even a malevolent narcissist who would bring the whole country down if it didn't give him what he wants is preferable an evil devil liberal.
OK, first, unless you're Trump's psychiatrist, you have no knowledge as to whether he's clinically anything. But let's just say he possesses narcissistic characteristics. I would wager that almost all people who make it very far and/or very long in politics have at least a few screws loose (narcissism or otherwise). I mean, who in their right mind would want to be in the public eye in that way or who could function and survive the political swamp mentally or emotionally whole? It's kinda one of those chicken & egg questions. And it's a big "who cares?" when it comes time to cast my ballot since there's no way for any of us to really know.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:26 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
A perfect argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045OFNJJY1Y

Old 11-03-2020, 04:34 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
The OP can refer to about 90% of all career politicians. Including Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, Feinstein, etc. Look how they live and yet pretend to know the plight of the common people.

Personally I find it insulting when any multi-millionaire in politics or otherwise pretends to know my struggles in life. I find it amusing when hardliners point fingers at one side and say "See how bad they are, they aren't like our side." Yeah not even a little, right?

The biggest difference between Trump and those like Pelosi and Biden? He doesn't even bother to try and hide his elitism.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:38 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The OP can refer to about 90% of all career politicians. Including Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, Feinstein, etc. Look how they live and yet pretend to know the plight of the common people.

Personally I find it insulting when any multi-millionaire in politics or otherwise pretends to know my struggles in life. I find it amusing when hardliners point fingers at one side and say "See how bad they are, they aren't like our side." Yeah not even a little, right?

The biggest difference between Trump and those like Pelosi and Biden? He doesn't even bother to try and hide his elitism.
Yeah no kidding.
Why should we pretend there are any common people at that level in politics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies