Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 06:40 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
These results and 2016 results...

... just make me realize how amazing Obama was.

How on Earth was a black man able to win all these honky-tonk states and counties?

And that was 12 years ago too. Seriously, I have no clue how he was able to pull it off.
As many have pointed out, he ran as someone different from the establishment. That whole "hope and change" theme played well in 2008. But that doesn't explain 2012. Plus I'm confident he could win another term in 2016 if there weren't term limits.

Obama had an appeal that crossed party lines, and I think history will judge him favorably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 06:42 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
As many have pointed out, he ran as someone different from the establishment. That whole "hope and change" theme played well in 2008. But that doesn't explain 2012. Plus I'm confident he could win another term in 2016 if there weren't term limits.

Obama had an appeal that crossed party lines, and I think history will judge him favorably.
“History” will judge him harshly until history is revised of course.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:44 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
It's worth remembering that people are much, much more racist today than they were when we had a real President under Obama. The demagogue in the White House who thinks neo Nazis are "very fine people" has dramatically changed things.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:45 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
I'll do this without a hint of reference to race.

Back in the 2016 Primaries especially (2020 to a lesser extent, but especially 2016, the beginning of it all)..

Let's look at the Four Industrial Belt states: Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania. All except the last have open or partially open primaries (the latter states that leave it up to the parties and not law to decide). The first two have outright open primaries. Ohio has a partially open primary.
Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-an...rimary-3367495

In an outright open primary, voters choose which primary to vote in. Wisconsin and Michigan both have these. Unless there's something about WI and MI presidential election laws that I'm unaware of, that means in 2016, the voters had equal chance to vote for Trump in the Rep or Sanders in the Dem.

Bernie's message is every bit as anti-establishment as Trump's is, nd promoted with every bit as much conviction as Trump pushed his own message. Bernie also pushed for universal health care and more full funding of college education, and presumably community colleges too. He also called for raising taxes on the 1% - especially the billionaires. Surely working class people know that the great majority of wealth gains since the early 70s cocentrate at the upper end of the pyramid - the higher your income, the more they get. Bernie also has a much more solid record and experience than Trump ever can have in his life, even if he stays in politics for the rest of his life. Seriously, what is there for a working class Democrat (especially a union member) to not like about such a candidate?

Yet, for all this, this region's working class, traditionally pro-union Democrat, choose to vote for Trump over Sanders - especially with Trump's record of hurling highly egregious, highly demeaning comments? How can anybody believe Trump would have the mental stability or temperament to be president after all that? You tell me why they chose Trump over Sanders!
You glossed over the part where Bernie won Wisconsin and Michigan in his party's primary so by that measure they gave Bernie his chance.

The obvious answer is that Bernie is too much for most people.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:46 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
He was a brilliant, talented, honest man and that came through when he was campaigning. It didn't hurt that he was a gifted orator as well.

He was a gifted orator. None of the other characteristics you ascribe to him are accurate. He won because people thought it would be cool to vote for the first black President. It didn't hurt that Obama is also a smooth talker. Many people in this country confuse being a silver-tongued devil with being competent.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:48 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
He was a brilliant, talented, honest man and that came through when he was campaigning. It didn't hurt that he was a gifted orator as well.
I agree with this except I would say "mostly honest".

Old 11-04-2020, 06:49 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's worth remembering that people are much, much more racist today than they were when we had a real President under Obama. The demagogue in the White House who thinks neo Nazis are "very fine people" has dramatically changed things.
Obama had the chance to do some really remarkable things. Instead, he was a cringeworthy train wreck with race relations.
In case you forgot, the divisiveness was ramping up dramatically while he was in office.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:50 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Trump spend 3 of his 4 years putting out the fires that Obama started around the world. Trump has brought peace to the Middle East for the first time since WWII. ISIS is defeated and irrelevant with a minimum of civilian casualties.

What drugs exactly are you Obama lovers taking?

Old 11-04-2020, 06:51 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
He ran on populism. Trump ran on populism and is still running on that theme. Now it looks like trump may win his second term. See the pattern? People don't even care that he's a complete clown. The alternative is an establishment politician. The DNC somehow thinks this is a winning card and is playing it again LOL

I voted for Trump. I, and every single person I know who voted for Trump, dislike him intensely. Trust me, he didn't get where he is based on charisma. He's precisely the opposite of Obama. Trump won in 2016 because he represented an alternative to the good old boy political machine, wheres as HRC was the embodiment of said machine. If Trump wins this year, it's not because of his character or likability, its because the Democratic party has become a completely unhinged collection of ultra left/progressive nutjobs.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:53 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,500,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You're still peddling that lie? He didn't say Nazis were very fine people.

Signed, Jewish woman with Holocaust victims in her family who voted for Trump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies