Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 07:19 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

We were 5.5 years into the Iraq War which had been initially projected to last no more than 5 months.

The Great ( global) Recession began in 2007.

The subprime crisis was deepening. The worst was yet to come.

The Stimulus Act failed to achieve objectives.

Dow was well on the way to losing half its value.

Tarp had just been approved - too bit to fail.

Well on the way to losing 2.6 million jobs that year.

Recessions persist until economic indicators stabilize, which is not the same thing as recovery. The deeper the recession, the longer the recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 07:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
These results and 2016 results...

... just make me realize how amazing Obama was.

How on Earth was a black man able to win all these honky-tonk states and counties?

And that was 12 years ago too. Seriously, I have no clue how he was able to pull it off.
Do you ask how white presidents manage to win say "racial jungle counties"? Remember those were the exact words Biden used (in a different context), but everyone knew it was directed at a certain group.

As to Obama, he came along when people were sick of war, and the economic collapse of the housing market sent shockwaves through our country. Frankly, had Hillary won the (D) nomination in 2008, she likely would have beaten McCain as well.
So while Obama was gifted, under normal circumstances a political neophyte whose only claim to fame was being a rabble rouser would not have won.

`

Old 11-04-2020, 07:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:

How on Earth was a black man able to win all these honky-tonk states and counties?

And that was 12 years ago too. Seriously, I have no clue how he was able to pull it off.
Obama was a smooth talking fresh face.... he took down Hillary and Biden in the primaries

He told lies like election finance reform, getting rid of lobbyists, closing Gitmo, and that his admin was to be the most transparent...and he won against McCain who lost because he chose a poor running mate in Palin

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF):
Obozo got elected because he was smooth talking fresh face

Old 11-04-2020, 08:09 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
It's made me realize what a target rich environment America is for con-men.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:18 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
The OP seems to want to box Trump voters into being ignorant racists when in reality they are the ones who voted for Obama. Seems skin color was not an issue for them..at least not as big an issue is it is for Democrats. We voted for Obama because we thought this is a guy who might finally make a difference for his people in America. No matter what you think of us we actually wanted to do the right thing. I honestly thought Obama was an outsider and would stand up for what’s right and inspire his people more than any white man ever could. Instead he was an opportunist scum bag empty suit who was only interested in his title, his legacy and trolling the majority white population when something happened like a black criminal getting killed by the cops while committing a crime.

And boy did he and that wife of his love to hang out with the rich white folks at Martha’s Vineyard.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:19 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Sure. Just make sure you put that same critical lens on Trump's level of honesty. You know, the guy who said he'd be too busy working as President to golf?
Why? I know Trump lies. Obama and Democrats portray themselves as honest and beyond reproach, when in reality they arent. Its anologues to the peace price, You people still probably think Obama deserves it.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:26 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Correct, that Obama never told the "honky tonks" they were racist. Neither did Biden, who's one of them.
The past few years many leftists have went insane with the identity politics and illogical fallacies of woke culture, both of which demonize those that the OP and many other leftists call "honky-tonks"

Old 11-04-2020, 03:15 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 7 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, one thing is for sure......you know he's not trying to sweet talk you. Sort of the line of thinking in ST: DS 9 when General Martok took Worf with him to try to convince ole what's his face to have the Klingons join the battle for DS 9........if an ally and an enemy are telling him the same thing.........
If an ally and an enemy are trying to tell him the same thing. Maybe. But at the same time, can you really trust someone to "Drain the Swamp" with the following record:

Stiffing of investors and lenders. His refusal to release his income tax returns. The Trump University scam. But at the same time, Trump's character was already on full display. His thousands of lawsuits. His shady associates. All that alone speaks to his honesty and character. That alone shows that I wouldn't trust him to drain the kitchen sink, let alone "the swamp". And that's just the honesty part of his character.

His incompetent non-corrupt business practices. Trump Airlines, Trump Magazine, Trump Steaks, etc. How can you trust someone like that to be the "leader of the free world"?

Treatment of others, leadership style. Corrupt business leaders and politicians come and go, but attacking the dignity and personhood of people is much worse, even in practical everyday matters. No matter how squeaky clean a manager is, he or she won't gain people's trust and respect (and achieve high efficiency in businesses and government) if they dehumanize people under them. It diverts workers' energies and attentions from actual job performance and toward office politics survival - mutual schmoozing, "turf wars", backscratching power cliques. In this environment, the "winners" tend to be the best office politicians, and "yes-(wo)men", who are not necessarily the best job performers. The more independent-minded, honest, even job talented people leave - so productivity or quality thereof declines. So even if Trump were a model of honesty and squeaky-clean, his ideas of what "good leadership" and even "inspiration" and "motivation", are are simply distorted - based more on street smarts and negative motivation than inspiration, positive motivation, and helping the team's weakest members be better versions of their real selves. And this is before we get to the next point.

Bigotry, especially the more socially acceptable forms of it (ableism, lookism, caricature-drawing of trivial if unappealing traits, and in general my personal term "image bigotry"). In short, it suggests such people are undeserving of informal information channels (aka "grapevines"), informal social connections, helping hands, and support in times of trouble that make one's day-to-day business of living less bad and challenging. It also implies the world would be better off if those people never did exist. If that isn't bigotry, I don't know what is.

As for the Obama part, I never brought him up, so that's irrelevant. I only brought up Bernie Sanders, and even then only to contrast him to Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
You glossed over the part where Bernie won Wisconsin and Michigan in his party's primary so by that measure they gave Bernie his chance.

The obvious answer is that Bernie is too much for most people.
My response to TamaraSavannah covers most of this. Beyond this, despite the Clinton Wing's dominance of the Dems - how can working class people think the Republicans would be more likely to adopt affordable health care, lower taxes on the working and middle class, etc than the Democrats would? The Republicans are basically "tax cut" "tax cut" "tax cut" - all of which benefit the wealthy; with the working class simply getting enough crumbs to keep them from being too angry.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:16 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
He was a great liar.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:22 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:

IKR? And so quickly! No long drawn-out process. It was amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies