Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 01:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Florida votes to raise state's minimum wage to $15 an hour

$8.56 was low. That's millions of more people at the $15 by 2026. It's a good thing in my opinion. Not raising the minimum wage with inflation has hurt the lower and middle class.

Gradually raising the minimum wage to $15 would be good for workers, good for businesses, and good for the economy
So Florida implements more slavery forcing the people to pay above fair market rate? Nice move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 01:23 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
I voted for it. I was not a fan of it being $15/hr, but knew this was going to be the only way to get the wage bumped, plus there was a timeline and an immediate good bump.

I hate that the US has allowed the low skilled/wage work to be flooded by legal and illegal immigrants, driving up the applicant pool, and driving down/stagnating the wages. This is the reality here in Miami, where a minimum wage job will have a line of applicants wanting to be hired.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:27 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Don't know where you got self ownage from. But your logic is the same reason that shoes are now made in China and Vietnam instead of America. Good ole race to the bottom #sarcasm
I'm not opposed to it. I just think that wayyyy too many people see it in simple terms without consideration that it can be both good and bad depending upon your situation and that can include within low wage segments.

US businesses already are addressing this future state with automated floor cleaners, self check-outs and a host of other ways to lower the use of unskilled labor.

The bottom 10% in terms of capability are truly screwed and I don't see any way around that with a global economy pressing upon us.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:33 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I voted for it. I was not a fan of it being $15/hr, but knew this was going to be the only way to get the wage bumped, plus there was a timeline and an immediate good bump.

I hate that the US has allowed the low skilled/wage work to be flooded by legal and illegal immigrants, driving up the applicant pool, and driving down/stagnating the wages. This is the reality here in Miami, where a minimum wage job will have a line of applicants wanting to be hired.
^^^^Booom. nailed it.

People love to cry about those that are anti-science and then the minute you point out that a large illegal labor pool suppresses wages for the poor....bang...out come the science deniers of the basic law of supply and demand.

They then double down on anti-science saying they only work jobs americans won't while ignoring another ECON 101 concept called substitution.

Oh well, it used to bother me but my family is well-educated and in decent financial shape so we benefit from cheap exploited labor while having no impact to our salaries.

Best con the corporations ever pulled was importing cheap labor with no legal rights and then quashing complaints by calling those people racists.

Darwinism in action. The smart in a civilized society preying upon the dumb.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:36 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Most of Florida is retirees so no real biggie
Basic economics: raise the cost of doing business, the business operator raises prices to compensate.

That is called inflation. Inflation devalues the savings of seniors. The dollar they saved in their working years now had a buying power of 25¢. They must make sure they save enough for bus fare to the poor house.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So Florida outlawed jobs that pay less than $15 an hour
Yes, for your own good.

That’s why it had to be shoved down your throat.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:08 PM

628 posts, read 209,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Don't know where you got self ownage from. But your logic is the same reason that shoes are now made in China and Vietnam instead of America. Good ole race to the bottom #sarcasm
You clearly took personal offense to my having lost my job, for some unknown reason, and continue to rail against an argument you think I made.

You are not a rationally-thinking person.

Go have your strawman meltdown with someone else, thanks.

Also, thanks for showing empathy for your fellow man. You did a great job.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:12 PM

628 posts, read 209,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
But income has not risen with inflation, especially minimum wage. Really don't see what the issue is. $8 an hour in 2020 is literally nothing. No one can survive off that, and Florida has a bad combination of service industry jobs and higher housing costs. Needs to be a better balance.
An $8/hr job is no-skill entry level job. No one should be supporting a family on a no-skill entry level job. Anyone who has a no-skill entry level job should be responsible enough not to be popping out kids.

Anyone claiming that they should be able to work a no-skill entry level job and receive a skilled wage is an idiot.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Job killer, tourism killer.

But at least they are going to do it in slow increments.

Any state putting in a $15 wage is just contributing to inflation.

Business owners aren't stupid.

Especially so in these trying times due to the virus.

Heck, businesses are closing as it is.
$15 in 2026.
who know comes 2026,a news paper would be $3,look at postage stamps.
it may sound like a lot but how much does the person get to keep?
to pay rent,gas,food,insurance,and some entertainment?
I am one for studio,in my student days,I stay in a studio,some have a closet big enough for a full size bed,always think bedroom is a waste.
I prefer studio ,everything is in the same room except the toilet and save money too

Old 11-04-2020, 05:07 PM

672 posts, read 443,197 times
Retired. Maybe I'll head to Florida in 2026 for some part time work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies