Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 12:32 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

The more druggies that OD the better. Get out the gene pool.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:39 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/04/u...ions-2020.html

voters decisively passed laws legalizing
recreational marijuana.

• New Jersey,

• South Dakota,

• Montana and

• Arizona,

Cannabis is now legal across a large bloc of states in the West — from Washington down to the Mexican border — and well beyond.

Cannabis was also on the ballot in Mississippi. If all of the marijuana measures pass, marijuana will be legal for medical use in three dozen states and recreational use will be allowed in 15.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:04 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I knew pot legalization would lead to hard drugs getting legalized/decriminalized too.

Oregon Decriminalizes Small Amounts of Heroin and Cocaine; Four States Legalize Marijuana

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/04/u...ions-2020.html

Oregon Decriminalizes Small Amounts of Heroin and Cocaine; Four States Legalize Marijuana
There were 38 statewide citizen initiatives being decided across the country on Tuesday, about half the level of the last presidential election.
Decriminalization is different from legalization. Addicts are not going to be arrested for possession of small amounts of those drugs. If you are a dealer, smuggler, drug cartel, or support a criminal drug org. the book will be thrown at you.

I think government needs to provide in-patient treatment for addiction. Without medical supervision addicts are more likely to die from quitting. That includes alcohol. Rock and a hard place.

Lack of understanding what addiction is and what it is caused by is a problem. There are plenty 12-step groups for narcotics, cocaine, tobacco, eating disorders, etc. which are very effective however meetings only last one hour day and the addict has to go back to their homes and battle the addiction alone.
Multiple meetings in a day can be difficult to achieve getting to them.

1/10 people are addicts or have a problem with substance abuse (including alcohol). Not all addicts live on the streets. Many are highly functional and are working in our offices and professional services. The streets come later.

Addiction in populations is a mirror of the health or chaos of a country's spirit and policies. Stress is compounded with no relief. Once a person tries a drug, takes a drink, and finds out that it relieves the stress the more likely they are to continue using. It is the same for prescription narcotics.
It does not make sense to send MJ tokers into jail with people who are convicted of violent crimes.

Hemp oil made from the marijuana plant is proven to relieve many afflictions. The substance (THC) in the plant that make you high is removed from this oil (CBD). It should not be illegal to possess it, buy it, use it.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:06 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Maybe the only good thing to come out of yesterday...good for individual liberty.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:29 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Decriminalization is different from legalization. Addicts are not going to be arrested for possession of small amounts of those drugs. If you are a dealer, smuggler, drug cartel, or support a criminal drug org. the book will be thrown at you.

I think government needs to provide in-patient treatment for addiction. Without medical supervision addicts are more likely to die from quitting. That includes alcohol. Rock and a hard place.

Lack of understanding what addiction is and what it is caused by is a problem. There are plenty 12-step groups for narcotics, cocaine, tobacco, eating disorders, etc. which are very effective however meetings only last one hour day and the addict has to go back to their homes and battle the addiction alone.
Multiple meetings in a day can be difficult to achieve getting to them.

1/10 people are addicts or have a problem with substance abuse (including alcohol). Not all addicts live on the streets. Many are highly functional and are working in our offices and professional services. The streets come later.

Addiction in populations is a mirror of the health or chaos of a country's spirit and policies. Stress is compounded with no relief. Once a person tries a drug, takes a drink, and finds out that it relieves the stress the more likely they are to continue using. It is the same for prescription narcotics.
It does not make sense to send MJ tokers into jail with people who are convicted of violent crimes.

Hemp oil made from the marijuana plant is proven to relieve many afflictions. The substance (THC) in the plant that make you high is removed from this oil (CBD). It should not be illegal to possess it, buy it, use it.
I agree with all of this, except I'd argue that it's really not a big deal to smoke pot. They're not all hippies and stoners. I know a few people who smoke on the regular, and they're holding down good well-paying jobs, supporting families, etc. Are they addicted? Yeah, I guess you can call it that, but people are addicted to sugar and caffeine too.

But then...there's my BIL. Is he an idiot because he smokes pot, or would he be an idiot without the pot? All I know is, he's exasperating idiot who smokes a lot of pot. lol

Old 11-04-2020, 02:56 PM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Destroying one's own brain should not be illegal (assuming your problem doesn't become everyone else's problem). After all, it is YOUR brain, right? I've never understood why suicide is "illegal," either. If you don't want to be here, why should you be forced to stay? Of course, I'd doubt anyone thinking suicide gives a damn what the law says anyway, but it's just the principle. Stupid law.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:15 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,734,101 times
It's the hard drugs I have a problem with, we've been dealing with a huge mess here in WA because many cities aren't charging for drug possession. So what happens is the dealers are just keeping a stash off hand, go back and forth, and only carry a small amount on them so they don't get busted. Then you get the resulting compounding homeless/druggie mess and the crime/violence that goes with it.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:09 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I wouldn't call it blue, even though it voted blue this time. That's why I don't call Florida red either.

They'll be hurting people when the heroin cravings kick in. They'll twist your head off for a quarter of a gram.

Or any of the addictive offerings of BigPharma.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 2,725,398 times
What next Oregon theft will be decriminalized? and it will be just borrowing something for an extend period of time.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:19 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
Good, the war on drugs has been a complete failure. Let adults do what they want as long as they're not hurting anyone else, that's kinda the definition of 'freedom'
I don’t know what the answer is but it certainly isn’t to encourage drug use. You make it sound like everyone should be able to do what ever they want. That is not reality. Bet we see an increase of intoxicated driving and what about usage that affects performance at work? The reality is, drugs are bad and the goal should be zero use. The US already has high usage compared to many countries. So the US continues to slide in intelligence and work ethic while other countries get better. I’m not saying the current approach is right, but to say being able to do drugs is freedom, is irresponsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies