Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 12:07 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Too bad the natives that owned America before it got stolen from them didn't have the same requirements, right?

Gotta luv the genocide of the red man, right?
The natives did not own America, lol. "America" is a political entity, natives (Assuming you mean native Americans), never "owned" America.

Nothing was stolen, it is called war, and the natives themselves engaged in it, the entire world has engaged in it for all of human history, and every border in history has its roots somewhere in war.

And yes, I do love the defeat of the "red man", because their way of life was one of the stone age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 12:26 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
On TV a few days ago I saw an interview with an 80+ year old waiting in line to vote. Likely this dude will be dead before anything enacted will make any difference in his life.

Should we have a cutoff age to vote?
Why should we? Many people are active even to 100! Granted, definitely not the majority, but why should any citizen be deprived as long as they care enough to "voice" their opinion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Ufgp8blbI

This lady would put many 60-year-olds to shame! Good for her!

Old 11-06-2020, 12:32 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I would have some or all of these requirements to vote:

Average IQ or higher
Property owner
Not on welfare
Born in America
27 years old or older

Some or all of the above should have been written into the Constitution by the Founders.
I am a conservative, but I disagree with ALL of the above for different reasons:

1. How would this be enforced? Present IQ results when registering to vote?
2. What about people who have not yet saved enough to own property?
3. How would this be enforced? (Although, in principle, I think only taxpaying citizens should be allowed to vote.)
4. No, just NO -- as long as someone has gone to the trouble to be a citizen, of course s/he should be able to vote!
5. If someone is old enough to fight in a war, s/he should be allowed the privilege of voting.

Old 11-06-2020, 01:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Maybe a better idea is to have an indirect election?

The House of Representatives can be augmented, and performs an election right before the presidential election.
Then the representatives vote to elect the president.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:40 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
On TV a few days ago I saw an interview with an 80+ year old waiting in line to vote. Likely this dude will be dead before anything enacted will make any difference in his life.

Would much rather have 80+ guys voting than the lib 17 year olds with skulls full of mush......

Old 11-06-2020, 05:45 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am a conservative, but I disagree with ALL of the above for different reasons:

3. How would this be enforced? (Although, in principle, I think only taxpaying citizens should be allowed to vote.)
4. No, just NO -- as long as someone has gone to the trouble to be a citizen, of course s/he should be able to vote!
5. If someone is old enough to fight in a war, s/he should be allowed the privilege of voting.
Two of my requirements are required of a President: must have been born here and must be a certain age.

Why do you think we don't allow a president under age 35 to run the country? Because people like AOC and most individuals under 35 just don't quite have the life experiences that we would want them to have to run the show. If that standard is good enough for Presidency, it should be for the rest of us voters.

And I said some or all of the above. It doesn't matter though, it's all just a pipe dream. Having sane, common sense rules where ONLY Americans (and Americans with a depth to their lives) can vote makes too much sense. And liberals and neocons HATE common sense. Liberals would allow a tuna sandwich to vote if they could find a way (and from this latest theft of American democracy, they probably did cast ballots for tens of thousands of Tuna Sandwiches).

Old 11-06-2020, 06:02 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Age requirements of:

US Congress: 25
US Senate: 30
US President: 35

We have these requirements because we know, most individuals in their early 20s are foolish, no matter how "genius" they may be they lack the depth of life experiences to run the show.
So I will settle for minimum age of 25 to vote.

I will say, Biden's lack of faculties that we have all now seen do make an argument for an age CUT OFF. But I would not have an age cut off. The 18 year old retards that are running America into the ground, though, make my friggin' BLOOD BOIL.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:33 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:

Perhaps, a test to determine level of dimentia? I suspect many elderly citizens, more so, than the average citizen, even understand many political issues. I think many, just vote for the incumbent. Many politicians know this, and know how to buy votes, by visiting nursing homes and providing buffets, and talking about keeping social security safe. The elderly residents are left with this warm and fuzzy feeling, of how wonderful that politician was to take the time to visit them, and buy them lunch. It’s called, buying votes.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:48 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Some of my family IS the way I described, like my dad's dad, who's 91 years old now. I love him, but he's a selfish cheapskate objectively
I live in a very conservative retirement area and it is very hard to get folks to support our schools. So many oldsters already did that elsewhere in their lives wherever they lived. So that part of cheapskate is our reality.

Old 11-06-2020, 06:51 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

As a liberal I agree. Make it simple. US citizen and of a minimum age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies