Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 12:18 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,917,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's just so transparent, is the weird thing.

Everyone knows politicians try to pull strings to work their way, but usually it's a little difficult to catch them at it and see the clear partisan motive.

For example, Gov Abbott in Texas declared that voters and poll workers wouldn't be required to wear masks, "because he didn't want voters turned away at the polls just because they hadn't brought a mask". Oh please, COME ON. Have a box of masks at the entrance.

Everyone knew it was because he wanted the polling places to feel unsafe for democrats.

But anyway, he was savvy enough to attempt to hide his partisan behavior.

This business of Trump's going after states where he's projected to LOSE, but ignoring states where he's projected to WIN, just makes him look bizarre.
Kind of like the Florida recount with gore and Ohio with Kerry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 12:23 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Kind of like the Florida recount with gore and Ohio with Kerry.
As I recall the Florida recount, Katherine Harris (a republican, in charge of Florida elections) called a halt to the counting of ballots at a time when Bush was ahead, paving the way for his win. Harris, for her loyalty and legal hat trick in Bush's favor, expected payback from Bush in the form of an appointment to a plum position.

Not so fast, Ms. Harris. She was damaged goods, and Bush distanced himself from her. Nobody likes the optics of openly, publicly rigging the election for your team.

For the record, I voted for all the Bushes, all the times they ran and think they both were good presidents.

But I don't think, all in, Bush would likely have won Florida without Harris being there to run interference.

(Text from GW to Al Gore, Sept. 12, 2001: "Hey Al. The votes were recounted in Florida. You won.)

Old 11-05-2020, 12:27 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
Tweet from Mark Levin

https://twitter.com/marklevinshow/st...06883600506880

Then you got Trump demanding Votes stop being counted in States that he is up but he demands counting in states that he is down like AZ, Nevada, etc.

This is insane despot stuff.
While Levin is correct, this would be a disastrous move for our country. Changing the game after the fact is (absent actual evidence of fraud ad illegality) not an appropriate use of this power by the legislature. I see under no circumstance where any legislature would make sure a move.

And it would come back to bite whoever did it in the behind. Can you imagine if PA had a Dem legislature in 2016 and they decided to ignore the will of PA voters and give their EC votes to Hillary?

This was incredibly irresponsible of Mark Levin, who I generally like and appreciate.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:28 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,074 times
Quote:
It's just so transparent, is the weird thing.

Everyone knows politicians try to pull strings to work their way, but usually it's a little difficult to catch them at it and see the clear partisan motive.

For example, Gov Abbott in Texas declared that voters and poll workers wouldn't be required to wear masks, "because he didn't want voters turned away at the polls just because they hadn't brought a mask". Oh please, COME ON. Have a box of masks at the entrance.

Everyone knew it was because he wanted the polling places to feel unsafe for democrats.

But anyway, he was savvy enough to attempt to hide his partisan behavior.

This business of Trump's going after states where he's projected to LOSE, but ignoring states where he's projected to WIN, just makes him look bizarre.

Don't forget limiting mail ballot drop-off boxes to ONE per COUNTY -- whether the county population was 200 or 4 million -- for "ballot security".

Oh, and in Harris County - GOP going to court to stop the drive-in voting tents. Did only Democrats enjoy the convenience and safety? (For those not in TX -- the court upheld the drive-in option, but because of legalese language the county clerk reduced the drive-ups to only one location on Election Day itself, as it was a brick-and-mortar building, not a temporary tent. But the votes from the 10 or so tents during early-voting were allowed to be counted.)

Old 11-05-2020, 12:29 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
So. I don't know where we go from here.

"It's not what you don't know that's harmful, it's what you think you know but you're wrong that does the most damage."

I don't think there's any way to convince republicans that there isn't cheating - or at least, not widespread heating, going on.

In every election I'm sure there are a few things that are done, not having ballots, a few boxes of ballots sneaking off, etc.

But it seems republicans really and truly believe that there has been widespread cheating on the part of the democrats, and that's caused Trump to likely lose.

And when you've got people like Rush Limbaugh stoking these flames, I don't know what can be done here.

Where do we go from here?

If we're not all basically looking at the same set of facts to make decisions and form opinions, we're sunk. We can't move forward with a world of "right truth" and "left truth".

And the truth is, if Trump loses he'll have lose fair and square.
The simple answer would be "You think we're cheating? Show up at 9 am Nov 3rd and you can monitor us."

Old 11-05-2020, 12:29 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
As I recall the Florida recount, Katherine Harris (a republican, in charge of Florida elections) called a halt to the counting of ballots at a time when Bush was ahead, paving the way for his win. Harris, for her loyalty and legal hat trick in Bush's favor, expected payback from Bush in the form of an appointment to a plum position.

Not so fast, Ms. Harris. She was damaged goods, and Bush distanced himself from her. Nobody likes the optics of openly, publicly rigging the election for your team.

For the record, I voted for all the Bushes, all the times they ran and think they both were good presidents.

But I don't think, all in, Bush would likely have won Florida without Harris being there to run interference.

(Text from GW to Al Gore, Sept. 12, 2001: "Hey Al. The votes were recounted in Florida. You won.)
No. The ballots were all counted. The only stopping of ballots was during the recount, and this was by the US Supreme Court (the Florida Supreme Court had already paved the way for the recount to continue). Of course, Al Gore only wanted certain, Democrat-leaning counties to be recounted, so there's that, too.

Ultimately, independent media organizations conducted their own recount using the standard authorized by the FL Supreme Court and concluded that Bush still would have won had the recount continued.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No. The ballots were all counted. The only stopping of ballots was during the recount, and this was by the US Supreme Court (the Florida Supreme Court had already paved the way for the recount to continue). Of course, Al Gore only wanted certain, Democrat-leaning counties to be recounted, so there's that, too.

Ultimately, independent media organizations conducted their own recount using the standard authorized by the FL Supreme Court and concluded that Bush still would have won had the recount continued.
Right. Her stopping the counting of the ballots wasn't the final step of the florida election process.

But the fact that she used her power to stop counting ballots, when it would be beneficial to Bush, was blatantly partisan and it didn't pay off for her.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:35 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,116 times
Either way, the losing party will not accept the results of this election. They will feel that they have been ripped off by the other party. The nation will be divided for 4 years till election 2024.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:37 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
DNC operatives who are not involved in the counting process could have sneaked in fake Biden votes without other people knowing. It's called plausible deniability.

Innocent mistakes can happen. My brother who died years ago still get stuff in the mail from the DMV. My mother who died two years ago still get mail from the government. Shady relatives or outsiders can take advantage of these situations.

Fishy stuff happened in this election. The democrats fought hard for mail-in ballots. Now it's clear why.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:41 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Isn’t it more fascist to not allow observers during counting? Isn’t fascist to have more votes then legal voters? Can you tell me if it was the other way around you wouldn’t want the same? Don’t say you wouldn’t because of the last elections your side lost, you cried fowl

Oh dear. "Fowl."

1. Observers are in place
2. In no place are there more votes than registered voters.

Where are you getting your fake news from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies