Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does every/every other US demographic group give as good as it gets when it comes to unpleasant thin
Yes 1 9.09%
No 9 81.82%
Other 1 9.09%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 11:58 AM

724 posts, read 503,849 times

Advertisements

It's no secret that practically every other demographic group in this country has elements that believe their ( perceived or not ) rival demographic group oppresses them/discriminates against them/so forth and that they are the underdog/victim/so forth ...

Which ( IMHO ) begs the question of doesn't every demographic group dish out things other demographic groups can complain about just as/similar to as much as it receives in reverse ?

I'll be giving my take on this soon enough and I look forward to reading y'all s responses .

Old 11-05-2020, 12:02 PM

6,671 posts, read 2,977,633 times
That's a tough sell when 76% of the Country is White and has a history of Slavery.

Jus say'in.

But yes,...everyone has the capacity to be jerks to anyone. Playing the race card is easy so it gets abused.

Old 11-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
That's a tough sell when 76% of the Country is White and has a history of Slavery.

Jus say'in.

But yes,...everyone has the capacity to be jerks to anyone. Playing the race card is easy so it gets abused.

I don't mean to come off as snarky or anything , but the present day demographic groups that have major issues with each other are hardly solely racial in character ...

I mean the current divide between Republicans and Democrats , Right and Left Wingers , Urban and Rural people , etc. , more than completes the picture IMHO .

Old 11-05-2020, 12:33 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Social conservatives have been much more successful about using the government to infringe on basic liberties of others and that hasn't/won't be reversed.

Fiscally? Fiscal conservatives don't have any meaningful power and both Republicans and Democrats love to spend our money.

Class? Those with the power/money do a great job at turning everyone else against each other while they take an ever increasing percentage share of the productivity generated by the middle class.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:02 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,218,339 times
What "demographics" are you referring to? Race/ethnicity?

Or are we including corporations, churches, homeless, etc. in this mix?

Old 11-05-2020, 01:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
I don't understand the question. It was cut off. I think even the word "thin" was cut in half.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Social conservatives have been much more successful about using the government to infringe on basic liberties of others and that hasn't/won't be reversed.

Fiscally? Fiscal conservatives don't have any meaningful power and both Republicans and Democrats love to spend our money.

Class? Those with the power/money do a great job at turning everyone else against each other while they take an ever increasing percentage share of the productivity generated by the middle class.

May I ask how exactly have social conservatives been more successful at infringing on basic civil liberties than others ? I'm asking because , while I certainly concur that our civil liberties have been very much infringed upon for some time , I see no real evidence of social conservatives being the culprits what with same sex marriage having been legalized and state level laws concerning drug possession/use having been loosened in recent years .

I most certainly agree with your other two points , though I must say that I'd be really interested in reading your opinion of whether or not different demographic groups ( whether they be of a political , racial , ethnic , religious , etc. , nature ) since it seems you haven't mentioned that issue .

Old 11-05-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
What "demographics" are you referring to? Race/ethnicity?

Or are we including corporations, churches, homeless, etc. in this mix?

Of each and every sort , especially those that seem to have noticeably major issues with each other that frequently becomes a subject of discussion .

Old 11-05-2020, 01:13 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
May I ask how exactly have social conservatives been more successful at infringing on basic civil liberties than others ? I'm asking because , while I certainly concur that our civil liberties have been very much infringed upon for some time , I see no real evidence of social conservatives being the culprits what with same sex marriage having been legalized and state level laws concerning drug possession/use having been loosened in recent years .
Those are recent developments and have not "given as good as they got" by outlawing different sex marriages or criminalizing just being straight. Which I presume is the meaning of your question, an equal and opposite turnabout.

Quote:
I most certainly agree with your other two points , though I must say that I'd be really interested in reading your opinion of whether or not different demographic groups ( whether they be of a political , racial , ethnic , religious , etc. , nature ) since it seems you haven't mentioned that issue .
Largely the same deal here. While there have been advancements in liberty on those lines it surely has not been an equal swing in the opposite direction where the oppressors are now oppressed. Need better clarification on the question if that's not what you meant.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't understand the question. It was cut off. I think even the word "thin" was cut in half.

Ah my apologies for the awkward wording ...

Basically what I'm referring to is the phenomena ( if you will ) of different mainly size able demographic groups ( like f.ex right and left wingers ) sparring with each other in a number of different ways , while simultaneously accusing the other side of oppressing/discriminating against them/and so forth .

In other words everyone knows that plenty of right wingers and left wingers like to accuse the other camp of being the problem/holding them down , the same way plenty of white people and black people like to accuse the other camp of being the problem/holding them down .

My question is isn't everybody dishing out and taking plenty of ( for lack of a better term ) " bad " at the same time ?

In short aren't we all assailants and victims at the same time ?
'

I hope this elaboration will clarify things a bit and thanks for bringing that mistake of mine to proper attention .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies