Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 08:30 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times

Advertisements

I have stage IV cancer and no job. If they succeed in gutting the ACA then I’m screwed. I’m maintaining my status pretty well right now but if things should turn ugly, I figure I’ll have three choices...die, seek treatment but go bankrupt, or move to another country. My daughter and grand baby are in Chile right now, but due to the mishandling of the covid crisis, I don’t have the option to go there right now, or many other places for that matter. So, we all know what that means. I’m ok with dying...I just wish there weren’t so many other people who are ok with it too. Many of those people are friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 08:35 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I don't know. Obama certainly kicked millions of people off their health insurance seven years ago. The Democrats didn't care about any of them.
No he didn’t “kick them off”; he offered something different. They chose to think they were kicked off. They resent that all Americans deserve a fair shot at having healthcare.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:42 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I have stage IV cancer and no job. If they succeed in gutting the ACA then I’m screwed. I’m maintaining my status pretty well right now but if things should turn ugly, I figure I’ll have three choices...die, seek treatment but go bankrupt, or move to another country. My daughter and grand baby are in Chile right now, but due to the mishandling of the covid crisis, I don’t have the option to go there right now, or many other places for that matter. So, we all know what that means. I’m ok with dying...I just wish there weren’t so many other people who are ok with it too. Many of those people are friends and family.

I am sorry to hear that. I have faith good will defeat evil in this case.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:43 AM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
I didn't like being taxed for not having legalized theft, aka mandatory health insurance Obamacare. Like always, government likes to take from one, only to give to others of their choice. Nothing should be mandatory and the only way insurance companies make money is collect from the healthy to pay out the sick. Government's involvement in anything always results in higher cost for everyone. So, get rid of it.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:44 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
I didn't like being taxed for not having legalized theft, aka mandatory health insurance Obamacare. Like always, government likes to take from one, only to give to others of their choice. Nothing should be mandatory and the only way insurance companies make money is collect from the healthy to pay out the sick. Government's involvement in anything always results in higher cost for everyone. So, get rid of it.

The supreme court ruled that the individual mandate was unconstitutional in 2017. So it doesn't exist and your comment is meaningless.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
So what should someone like myself do? I guess you’re ok with people dying who may not have to if they had healthcare? How could that possibly be good for the economy?

Old 11-10-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I am sorry to hear that. I have faith good will defeat evil in this case.
I don’t have that faith. That faith began to fade quickly four years ago and now the stress of this is intense. Stress is really bad for healing and might’ve caused my cancer in the first place. I will probably try to stay away from watching SC proceedings.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:52 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
No he didn’t “kick them off”; he offered something different. They chose to think they were kicked off. They resent that all Americans deserve a fair shot at having healthcare.
He offered something that was more expensive, didn’t allow us to keep our doctor, had ridiculous premiums, and was hardly an insurance plan at all. We resent that our insurance became worthless so that other people could get to go to the doctor free and pay nothing for their plans.

You honestly think that responsible people who have supported themselves all their lives and had access to doctors and affordable plans should be OK with losing all that so other people could get more free stuff? You liberals are such hypocrites. I bet you have a good employer, or possibly federal, insurance plan so you can afford to be so magnanimous. No skin off your back.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:54 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Will Trump succeed in kicking 20 million of the most at risk Americans off of their health insurance in the name of corporate profits?
You're framing it wrong. Tens of millions of middle class Americans can't afford Obamacare:

Is Obamacare Affordable? Not for the middle class - CNN

Obamacare Has Turned Voters Against Sharing the Wealth - NY Times

Biden screws the middle class if he reverses the cancellation Trump has achieved on Obamacare.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:57 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
It's not a Trump effort, but a state-led effort that the administration is supporting.

There were four votes in favor of striking down the entire ACA based on the mandate being unconstitutional from what I recall), but the Court has shifted somewhat since then, namely with Justice Scalia dying and Justice Kennedy retiring (they were among the group of four on this point). Assuming that Kavanaugh, Gorsuch, and Barrett hold the similar view, the ACA should be overturned.

Even if it's not overturned in its entirety, based on the Court's in the original case that upheld the bulk of the act as written based on the theory that individual mandate was a tax, the fact that there is no longer a tax hook should mean that at least some parts of the ACA cannot stand. Whether the Court is willing to invalidate the entire act is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies