Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 10:40 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
The ACA is/was not affordable for me. I lost my insurance 2 years ago and a decent single ACA plan at my age (almost 63 at the time but healthy, no preexisting conditions) would have been about $1400 a month. I chose a non-ACA compliant plan at $700 a month.

How much does insurance under Trump's new ACA plan cost? I missed reading about that, are there any links to his Trumpcare?
Curious as to what state you’re from and whether you applied for tax credits? I live in MO, a state that did not expand Medicaid, have cancer, and lost my employment a couple of years ago for reasons that I suspect were due to the cancer though they didn’t state that. I was able to find a plan for $133/mo and a $3500 deductible. I stayed on COBRA for several months after losing my job because I didn’t yet know about the credits so maybe you could look again? Open enrollment is back open right now, though it appears you’re almost eligible for Medicare.

As for Trumpcare, it’s always two weeks in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 10:46 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,490,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Curious as to what state you’re from and whether you applied for tax credits? I live in MO, a state that did not expand Medicaid, have cancer, and lost my employment a couple of years ago for reasons that I suspect were due to the cancer though they didn’t state that. I was able to find a plan for $133/mo and a $3500 deductible. I stayed on COBRA for several months after losing my job because I didn’t yet know about the credits so maybe you could look again? Open enrollment is back open right now, though it appears you’re almost eligible for Medicare.

As for Trumpcare, it’s always two weeks in the future.
I'm in Florida. I was on COBRA with a small company starting in November 2018 but they redid their insurance plan and my COBRA (I was the only one on it) went from $500 a month to $1350 a month effective January 2019 so I dropped it after finding the above $700 a month. I started working independently after that so no group plan for subsidy for me either. I will be on Medicare and either an Advantage or a Supplement on Jan 1, 2021.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:56 AM

89,007 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
I wish you would tone down the rudeness because I’d hate to see this very important thread shut down, though maybe that’s your intent.
Stating known facts isn't rude.

Switzerland's (the example YOU gave) percentage of the disproportionately affected (with costly chronic and life-threatening obesity-related diseases like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, organ failure, etc...) minority population (Blacks and Hispanics) due to their higher obesity rates is only 2.9%. But in the US, it's 31.9%. Over ten times as much. And somehow you can't figure out why the US spends so much more on health care? Sorry, but that's pretty vapid.

Quote:
But sure, let’s keep blaming it on minority groups
Facts don't lie. Why you don't want to face the reality of why the US spends so much more on health care than Switzerland, etc., is a mystery.

It isn't about being "poor." The problem is a significant demographic difference in Blacks' and Hispanics' lifestyle values. They don't give a crap that they're obese and don't mind self-inflicting all those costly obesity-related illnesses.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 11-12-2020 at 11:07 AM..

Old 11-12-2020, 11:38 AM

From only Massachusetts, a blue state...

Quote:
"Blacks (OR = 1.97) and Hispanics (OR = 1.81) had higher odds of obesity as compared to Whites. Blacks had higher odds of high blood pressure (OR = 1.88), heart attack (OR = 1.40) and stroke (OR = 2.14) than Whites. Hispanics were more likely to have high blood pressure (OR = 1.34), high cholesterol (OR = 1.56), stroke (OR = 1.71), and heart attack (OR = 1.54) than Whites. Hispanics (OR = 2.71) and Blacks (OR = 2.58) had the highest odds of diabetes.

Conclusions: Minority groups share a disproportionate risk of obesity and obesity-related diseases. Hispanics and Blacks have significantly higher odds of obesity and its related diseases. Continued emphasis on racial/ethnic groups at greatest risk of obesity remains critical."
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22870574/

Is anyone doing a damned thing to rein in that Black and Hispanic self-destructive behavior that also costs US society so much extra in health care costs? NO.

* OR means "Odds Ratio," compared to 1. Therefore an OR of 2.58 means 2.58 times as likely.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It isn't about being "poor." The problem is a significant demographic difference in Blacks' and Hispanics' lifestyle values. They don't give a crap that they're obese and don't mind self-inflicting all those costly obesity-related illnesses.
Ok you’ve crossed the line here. That’s just flat out racist so I’m done with you. Hopefully you aren’t getting us shut down.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
You Republicans had better hope like hell that nothing happens to the ACA. That’s 20 million votes that won’t be forgetting.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Ok you’ve crossed the line here. That’s just flat out racist so I’m done with you. Hopefully you aren’t getting us shut down.
It's not racist. It's reality. Even the NIH and CDC admit that high obesity rates and the consequent very costly obesity-related chronic and life-threatening diseases are a race-based problem. I've posted the links. Are you incapable of reading?

Old 11-15-2020, 08:19 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,094,821 times

Old 11-15-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You Republicans had better hope like hell that nothing happens to the ACA. That’s 20 million votes that won’t be forgetting.
Oh, no...! The poor won't be able to ream the middle class anymore... The horror! The horror!

Old 11-17-2020, 06:13 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies