Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 08:47 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Easy to say when your race isn’t doing it.
It’s not racial. It’s AMERICAN. Look at this country from its inception to the present.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:50 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Hahaha! How stupid and uneducated is the above? The over 40 cultures AA’s from were decimated during slavery. By the time that ended, their languages were gone. Their names were gone. Their cultural practices were gone.

The U.S. was a land of opportunity for white Americans and in more recent years has become such for Black Americans, due to their hard work, perseverance and sacrifice. Those of us who were blessed to arrive afterward should be grateful for all they have done.
People forget that the civil rights movement wasn't that long ago. People alive today experienced it.

People think that suddenly everything was great overnight. Nope. It was to push policies out of the way so black folks can finally as a whole climb out of poverty and establish generational wealth. There were still lots of obstacles and remnants from the past, and racism still existed. Today's younger generations are the ones that will make it happen. The grandparents just broke the barriers.

Bad neighborhoods exist much like wounds that are still healing. They're essentially scars from the past that haven't fully healed. Exasperated by drug laws and mass incarceration.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
The Freddy Gray riots happened under Obama, as well as the Ferguson riots, etc.

And we dance in the streets like something will change.

While ignoring reality:
You really like trashing your own.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:52 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
It’s not racial. It’s AMERICAN. Look at this country from its inception to the present.
72% of whites, Hispanics, and Asians are born to unwed mothers? Because that’s the case for us blacks.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:54 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
You really like trashing your own.
You really like ignoring accountability.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_conservatism

Old 11-11-2020, 08:55 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
No political party is responsible for slavery, Jim Crow and the KKK. You can find people on both sides in support of the KKK and Jim Crow. The Republican and Democratic parties were founded long after slavery began.

There are more opportunities here based on size and affluence. However, depending on where you are and what you have achieved, life could definitely be better in Africa.

Ideally, I would split my time between the U.S. and the Caribbean. There are things about life in the Caribbean (particularly certain islands) that are better/preferable to me.
Off topic but....this has always stood out in my experiences. A couple of years after being in Vietnam I vacationed in Jamaica for a few days. On the beach in Negril I struck a conversation with a fellow carving. Having been accustomed to the Vietnamese constantly wishing to live in America , I commented that he was like most people and wished to live in the United States too. He smiled and said why would I leave this paradise to live there? I bought one of his carvings. That was in1975. I still have his carving and every time I look at it I see him smiling.......

Old 11-11-2020, 08:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
These are precisely the type of people we shouldn't allow into our country. Legal immigration into this country should be for those that are highly educated and have something unique to offer us. Letting in dirt poor uneducated people is not good for society.
Lady Liberty be damned, I guess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0B9CitsfU0

Everyone should watch this. It's a great way to start the day, and very short.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You really like ignoring accountability.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_conservatism
You really like not understanding cause and effect and why things ended up the way they did for the communities and pushing right-wing talking points only meant to scare white Americans. And the fact conservatism varies from race to race.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
72% of whites, Hispanics, and Asians are born to unwed mothers? Because that’s the case for us blacks.
Over 50 percent for Hispanic mothers. Close to 70 percent for Black mothers. Close to 30 percent for White mothers.

Only Asians have low numbers.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Off topic but....this has always stood out in my experiences. A couple of years after being in Vietnam I vacationed in Jamaica for a few days. On the beach in Negril I struck a conversation with a fellow carving. Having been accustomed to the Vietnamese constantly wishing to live in America , I commented that he was like most people and wished to live in the United States too. He smiled and said why would I leave this paradise to live there? I bought one of his carvings. That was in1975. I still have his carving and every time I look at it I see him smiling.......
That’s so nice that you kept his carving this long. Many people would leave the Caribbean and do leave, particularly for the opportunities. However, many people would love to have both worlds in different ways. Sometimes it’s when people leave then they see. A number of people swear they are going back home when they retire, even if they don’t end up doing so. It’s because there are aspects of life there that you just don’t get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies