Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you trust the mainstream media?
Yes: I strongly trust the media 18 8.33%
Yes: but I only somewhat trust the media 24 11.11%
Neutral: Somewhere in between 16 7.41%
No: I somewhat distrust the media 10 4.63%
No: I strongly distrust the media 147 68.06%
Slanted: I only trust media that is slanted towards my political beliefs 1 0.46%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 07:45 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times

Advertisements

Do I trust the media??? I'm a vietnam veteran...........any more silly questions?

https://www.history.com/news/vietnam...rans-treatment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 07:54 AM

6,661 posts, read 2,969,843 times
It's as simple as reading the headline.

If it reads something like..

" Watch X get blasted by Y"
" X loses it and goes on a rampage over y's remarks"
" You should care about X and here's why!"
" X is coming for your Y!"

The goal of media is to keep subs and followers. They have a vested interest in it to survive.
These conglomerates wear their bias on their sleeve proudly. It's a Marketing gimmick.

When you know for sure that an article from HuffPo will be anti-Trump/pro-left and
you know for sure that a Breitbart article will be anti-Left pro-Right,..

how can you honestly take them seriously?!

It's like when flat -earther's cite theWorldisFlat..com as some definitive evidence. Really? What did you think they were gonna say?!

Our only hope is to aggregate many sources. Stop knee-jerk reacting.

Stop immediately liking and sharing based on toxic headlines to 'own' each other.

Half the 'debate' online is in the form of shared links from 'Influencers' on twitter. It's ridiculous.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:57 AM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I trust verifiable research with reliable sources. Not propaganda and YouTube claims. Anyone who has ever had to write a collegiate-level research paper can easily decipher true journalism from “fake news”.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:45 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I remember the news that was unbiased with no slant at all. One could make up their own mind of what to think.

Today they tell us what to think. It is very negative against Trump. Everything is Trump's fault.

I call it HATETRUMP TV it is so bad.

Even on the local tv stations they parrot what the Associated press or Rueters said and it is all propaganda. When they tell you that it is negative or has a negative ring to it , it is propaganda.

Example

Today we had an uptick of cases of Corona Virus. Due to the cold weather it is spreading more because this virus spreads easier inside a dwelling than outside. It has been reported that this virus is getting more contagious but not more lethal.

Propaganda

Today we had an uptick of cases. Our president thinks more of the stock market than the death rate of Americans.
"I remember the news that was unbiased with no slant at all." When was that?

"Example

Today we had an uptick of cases of Corona Virus." Notice they NEVER give the death rates.

There have been 228,00 deaths with 11.3 MILLION cases"

I don't know the exact percentage that is but, it is very LOW. Why DON'T they report it?

I talked to 2 people involved in assistant living in different sates and they BOTH said whenever an elderly person gets sick, no matter what it s, they classify it as covid. Why? Because they get fed MONEY for each case.

So the number of cases is jacked up.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:51 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Pravda in the 1960's was far more honest and trustworthy than the current USA mainstream media.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:54 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
It's as simple as reading the headline.

If it reads something like..

" Watch X get blasted by Y"
" X loses it and goes on a rampage over y's remarks"
" You should care about X and here's why!"
" X is coming for your Y!"

The goal of media is to keep subs and followers. They have a vested interest in it to survive.
These conglomerates wear their bias on their sleeve proudly. It's a Marketing gimmick.

When you know for sure that an article from HuffPo will be anti-Trump/pro-left and
you know for sure that a Breitbart article will be anti-Left pro-Right,..

how can you honestly take them seriously?!

It's like when flat -earther's cite theWorldisFlat..com as some definitive evidence. Really? What did you think they were gonna say?!

Our only hope is to aggregate many sources. Stop knee-jerk reacting.

Stop immediately liking and sharing based on toxic headlines to 'own' each other.

Half the 'debate' online is in the form of shared links from 'Influencers' on twitter. It's ridiculous.
"It's as simple as reading the headline."

A while back it was found that 90% of ALL stories from ABC, NBC and CBS about Trump were NEGATIVE.

The have ignored the GOOD things he has accomplished.

Some on her keep saying he has accomplished NOTHING because that is what the media has been telling them.

I posted a list of his accomplishments and it took 3 postings to get them all in.

Things people NEVER hear of.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:02 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
No I do not trust Fake Fox News.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:58 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
J Peder Zane asks what if Biden were seeking recounts? - I think we all know how the mainstream media would handle it.

He points out how the media encouraged electors to vote against Trump in the EC. How Democrats boycotted inauguration in 2016 because Trump had stolen the election. The WaPo on inauguration day announced the impeachment process would begin.

We then had 3 years of salacious rumors attacking Trump as having colluded with Russia over Russia's FaceBook posts.

Biden publicly agreed with a comment in May 2019 that Trump stole the 2016 election and the media didn't bat an eyelash.

He closes:

Quote:
Presidents come and go, but the media is forever. The transformation of leading news outlets from liberal voices into propaganda arms of the left may be the most consequential legacy of the Trump era. It’s not surprising that the media so causally compares Trump to Hitler while branding Republicans as racists – these are now articles of faith among the leftists they support. This is apparently what they believe.

Gallup polls illustrate the partisan shift. During the Obama years about 55% of Democrats felt the “mass media” reported the news “fully, accurately, and fairly.” About 30% of Republicans agreed.

In 2017 the number of approving Democrats rose to 72% – where it has roughly stayed – while the number of approving Republicans dropped to just 14% in 2016 and is now at 10%.

No doubt many Democrats tell themselves they are reality-based while Republicans have been brainwashed by Trump’s “fake news” lies. But that position is hard to defend given the Trump/Russia fiction they perpetrated, the ugly accusations they launched against Brett Kavanaugh during his Supreme Court confirmation hearings, and the contempt with which they view those who disagree with them.

Free nations need an honest press. We no longer have one. Heaven help us.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar..._recounts.html

Old 11-17-2020, 09:32 PM

1,926 posts, read 557,698 times
'I remember when' on newscasts if opinions were given in addition to reporting the news, it was called 'news and commentary' by major media. Now it seems we just have 'commentary'.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:35 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
I'd trust ex Cardinal Theodore McCarrick around young boys more than I trust the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies