Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 11:45 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times

Advertisements

You just have to go back to the source as much as you can. If it says, so and so said something, just go back to the source and listen to the person say it. Usually there's a lot of context around it, but the media will interpret what someone said for you. That's the easy stuff though.

Which particular stories are promoted makes things more difficult. There may be something important going on, but some news channels don't cover it and instead promote what they think is important. This where you have to rely on several sources of news, including local, state, national, and international.

It's also hard to see the impact of some of the bigger policy decisions. I remember when the China tariffs were predicted to send our economy into a tailspin. All the experts predicted it, yet it never happened. You can read up on some of the policies and get a more accurate picture of what's going on, but it is really hard even after doing some research to tell if some of the moves the federal government makes are going to be beneficial or harmful.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:11 PM

473 posts, read 237,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
It's no secret that the claim of " That news source you just linked to is unreliable/extremely biased/so forth " is frequently uttered by many these days , which begs the question of which ones are unquestionably reliable at least most of the time ...

Like many other people I'm quite familiar with that one graph type barometer ( whose name escapes me ) that purports to show an accurate picture of the reliability/bias of various news sources , yet its existence still doesn't stop many from dismissing even the most respectable sources showcased on it offhand ...

Personally I'm of the opinion that one should always try to hear something from the horse's mouth if possible , yet that is hardly a nifty all purpose formula for finding a reliable news source as such .

Which leads to me often having a hard time holding many bits of politics related news to be true/becoming increasingly skeptical of things of a hot button nature , particularly if they are put forward as the unquestionable truth .

Anyways what do y'all think of this issue ?
On my Political, Social and RP Role Play, Forum site nationstates, many Leftists call our right wing news sources like, Fox News, Redstate.org, Breitbart, One America News Network, Town Hall, GOP USA, The Epoch Times, Newsmax and other sources, Garbage, Trash and A Rag. But how dare we call their Leftist news sources like, MSNBC, The Progressive, Guardian and other sources, Garbage. Trash and A Rag.

I for one don't call any news sources, Garbage, Trash and a Rag. I just say the right spins it to the right, and the left spins it to the left, all news sources have substance to their posts, I just strongly agree or strongly disagree with them.

Many Leftists on NS nationstates always say they are right and we are wrong based on Facts, and there is no arguments about it, decided by them who strongly disagree with us right wingers, and there is no arguments about it. Many right wingers on nationstates discord, just ignore them and don't post on the general forum threads, and I am not lying.

GMS - The G stands for Greater.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:19 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
fact check them. Christian science monitor has been the most reliable source I have found, but their coverage can be limited.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:24 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
I tend to like mediabiasfactcheck.com and checking things on politifact.

The thing is, the ultra rightwing will always believe that everything is super biased except for their conspiracy sites. But when you believe everyone is against you, well...it's probably you.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post

The thing is, the ultra rightwing will always believe that everything is super biased except for their conspiracy sites. But when you believe everyone is against you, well...it's probably you.
lol, Dude, as if the Leftist don't always believe that everything right wing is super biased, lol again. I am having a lol attack at the contexts of your post,

GMS - The G stands for Greater.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:49 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post

Look at RealClearPoltics. They do a fact check on the fact checkers. They are pretty much all Pinocchios.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:51 PM

391 posts, read 424,992 times
Reliable American News Sources:

Reuters
AP
NBC
ABC
CBS

Reliable, but biased, news sources:

CNN
NPR
Fox News (not the opinion/editorial shows)
MSNBC (not the opinion/editorial shows)

Un-Reliable sources - totally agenda driven:

Fox News opinion/editorial shows
MSNBC opinion/editorial shows
Drudge Report
Breitbart
Newsmax, OAN, and any of the hundreds of fringe websites that pop up and disappear regularly

Old 11-16-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Look at RealClearPoltics. They do a fact check on the fact checkers. They are pretty much all Pinocchios.
What I like about RealClearPolitics is, they present many right wing and left wing articles on the same site.

GMS: The G stands for Greater.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:53 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Where's the fact check page on RCP?

Old 11-16-2020, 12:55 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Shores View Post
What I like about RealClearPolitics is, they present many right wing and left wing articles on the same site.

GMS: The G stands for Greater.
Its a place where you can see what both sides say.

Unfortunately, most of the articles use inflammatory headlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies