Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 10:55 AM

8,177 posts, read 6,925,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, they aren't.

And even Rush Limbaugh's crowd sees it.

The protesters, are very very likely voting democrats.

The looters and rioters and attackers are apolitical thugs.

Oh. Where are the masses of democrats and democrat leaders and leftist mainstream media condemning the violence against these Trump supporters? Where are the masses of democrats and democrat leaders and leftist mainstream media condemning the violence, looting and rioting that's been happening for months in these democrat run cities? "It's mainly a peaceful protest" the MSM reports, as the city is shown, burning in the background. Where are those "silence is violence" signs? Guess they're only dragged out when it suits a certain agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 10:56 AM

193 posts, read 60,627 times
Quote:
Interesting. I just came back from running errands, Mark Steyn is subbing for Rush Limbaugh on his show.

He made the point that after the election, the rioting is continuing.

Because, he said, this was never about Trump. These people aren't rioting and looting because of Trump, or the election.

It sure is good to have the point many of us have been making - all along - made by a Rush stand in.

The rioting and looting isn't political, and the rioters aren't democrats.

ya win some, ya win some
The rioting very much is political. No one rioted after the ACA was passed or when Obama was inaugurated. No one rioted when Steve Scalise and Co. were shot up. No one riots when cops kill white people (or, generally, any people with a skin color besides black). No one cares when leftist speakers are invited to give lectures on college campuses.

It’s not about who is in office...Ferguson burned to the ground when Obama was president. It’s about the leftist political agenda behind events and the violent crazies who sympathize with their views. ANTIFA may not be an explicitly partisan group, but let’s not pretend that they’re apolitical.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:58 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Right on , the first person that should have been punched in
the face several times is Trump.
Very obvious he never ever was put in his place !

These issues started long before Trump was elected.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:20 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Most Antifa members hate Biden and Kamala LOL. They tend to be anarchists if anything. More in common with the Boogaloo Boys wierdly.

The world is more complicated than the republican vs dem binary so many of y'all are immersed in.
Yeah, it's too bad that more people can't figure that out for themselves, but, then they would have to READ-- that's painful stuff ya know? Knowledge is a rarity in the realm of US politics, Both parties are so heavily invested in their own lies that the truth becomes mired down in a pile of inanity just like the sports team fanatical crap we see every day. Truth isn't even wanted by many in the fanatical crowd, just beating the opposition is enough for them..

Old 11-16-2020, 11:20 AM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
As mentioned many time before, every time government gets involved, it makes things worse for us taxpayers. One thing I've learned is that government is good at taking from Peter to give to Paul, at their will. They lie, cheat and is never for the benefit of the taxpayers as they would like us to believe. The only role in government should be the role for national security. Instead, they tax us like crazy and exempt themselves from the very laws that they created that we, the taxpayers, have to follow and be taxed. Which is why we need small government and lean more Libertarian to eliminate all the unnecessary pork out of our system.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:38 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dawg New Tricks View Post
The rioting very much is political. No one rioted after the ACA was passed or when Obama was inaugurated. No one rioted when Steve Scalise and Co. were shot up. No one riots when cops kill white people (or, generally, any people with a skin color besides black). No one cares when leftist speakers are invited to give lectures on college campuses.

It’s not about who is in office...Ferguson burned to the ground when Obama was president. It’s about the leftist political agenda behind events and the violent crazies who sympathize with their views. ANTIFA may not be an explicitly partisan group, but let’s not pretend that they’re apolitical.
Well, it's obvious that you've come off the rails here, conflating Antifa, and BLM with the Democratic party simply demonstrates a profound lacking in your attempts to understand the more nuanced aspects of US politics. On the one hand Donald Trump actually spoke to the violent prone Proud Boys in a statement he made with regard to "standing back and standing by." Biden at the least let it be known that he wasn't in favor of the extremist left or right violence, window breaking, or the incessant demonstrating that had little effect on the overall political outcome.

All too often I've seen the truth of this attempt to hijack the usual political processes by those who are coming from a somewhat dubious group with vague notions of patriotism. Be it Antifa, BLM, Patriot Prayer, Proud Boy, or the just plain nuts of Trump's army of fools. NONE of those people, be they left OR right, have the blessing of the rest of us.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:46 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Quote:
OP, I don't think the US right now is reflected in the division on this board. Or anyway, not my community.

By reading through this board, you could think we Americans are at each other's throats. I've had 3 group meetings this week - two on ZOOM and one in person, and in no case was the election or politics brought up. COVID restrictions were, and the hope of an effective vaccine, etc., but not Trump or Biden or political rallies or election fraud.

Not a mention, literally.

So I really don't think we're as torn asunder as this board reflects. Thank the good lord above.
With Trump continuing to rally his supporters regarding his fraudulent election claims, in general he is empowering his followers to never accept a Biden win and as such, directly or indirectly, is dividing the citizens. We already know the government has no clue how to work across partisan lines.

Old 11-16-2020, 11:58 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Government sucks, I'll admit it.

They're all the same.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Well, it's obvious that you've come off the rails here, conflating Antifa, and BLM with the Democratic party simply demonstrates a profound lacking in your attempts to understand the more nuanced aspects of US politics.
How could I be conflating Antifa with the Democratic party when I said, very clearly, that Antifa is a non-partisan organization? That doesn’t make sense, but I suppose it’s progress that the left has now gone from “There’s no such thing as Antifa, it’s a right-wing bogeyman” to “Yeah, there are a bunch of people out attacking conservatives and destroying government and private property in the name of progressivism, but they’re no true Scotsmen...”

So, as I’ve said before, I missed the part where people were spray-painting “I AM IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED WITH ANY POLITICAL IDEOLOGY” on the statues they were tearing down, the buildings they were vandalizing, and the cop cars they were destroying.

Quote:
On the one hand Donald Trump actually spoke to the violent prone Proud Boys in a statement he made with regard to "standing back and standing by."
Let’s remember how the “stand by” gaffe happened.

CHRIS WALLACE: Will you, right now, condemn white supremacy groups right-wing militias and say they need to stand down?
TRUMP: Sure. I would say...
WALLACE (Jumping in): Then do it!
TRUMP: I’m willing to anything, I’m wanting to see peace...
BIDEN (Jumping in): Do it, say it, do it.
TRUMP: Who do you want me to...what do you want to call them...give me a name...
WALLACE (Jumping in): White supremacists and...
BIDEN (Jumping in): Proud Boys!
TRUMP: *quote*

Being cut in on two sides, he misspoke. (By the way, Proud Boys, for all their many faults, are not a white supremacist organization like Biden suggested.)

Here’s Trump’s comments on them the next day, when he wasn’t being interrupted and double-teamed:

“I really don’t know who they are, but they have to stand down and let law enforcement do their work...”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfEuLumn93Q

Quote:
Biden at the least let it be known that he wasn't in favor of the extremist left or right violence, window breaking, or the incessant demonstrating that had little effect on the overall political outcome.
Oh, and I see...”All violence matters”...

The effect though, is on the chilling of discourse in our society. For instance, in the thread about the violence in DC over the weekend, several progressives posted things like “What did they expect to happen, holding a Trump rally in DC?” As in, “Of course you got beat up, don’t you know you’re not allowed to publicly support the president in the nation’s capital?” Speaking of a chilling effect, the very reason I’m posting on these forums is because they give me an outlet to speak my mind. I lost that venue on Facebook, where I used to have these sorts of discussions with friends and friends of friends, when one of them decided my views were much too extreme and dangerous and tried to get me fired from my job. Here, I can post anonymously, and at least get some of it out of my system.

Old 11-16-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
...he is empowering his followers to never accept a Biden win and as such, directly or indirectly, is dividing the citizens...
Gee, that sounds bad and dangerous, for the losing side to consider the president to be illegitimate. I’d better check sources and see how bad it could be.

...But help me with something, I did a google search on "illegitimate president", and mostly what I saw the left never accepting a Trump win in 2016.

Baltimore Sun: “Trump is now, officially, the illegitimate president”

Book sold at Amazon: “Donald Trump: The Illegitimate President”

Article via NPR: “Jimmy Carter Says He Sees Trump As An Illegitimate President”

The Atlantic: “What Happens When a President Is Declared Illegitimate”

And, of course, the loser of the 2016 election, from WaPo: “Hillary Clinton: Trump is an ‘illegitimate president’”

Would you say those divided citizens, directly or indirectly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies