Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 08:47 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times

Advertisements

So 240000 people have died sense February. All of those people who were in their 70s or more would have lived. according to the medical experts ,even three of the seven who died in a motorcycle accident in NH back in June. Talk about fluffing up numbers for an agenda.
340,000,000 live in the US not including those in the shadows . 240000 died over eight months...You know I like those odds...But crush the economy and the lives of citizens for less than a 1 in a thousand chance. Ill live my life ]with my mask on] and you live yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 08:52 AM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I will attempt to "take on" your challenges. Adequate testing and contact tracing would have helped however what we are seeing is an airborne RNA virus whose adaptability is superior to SARS H1N1 and H1N5. Fortunately it is not as deadly as those previous outbreaks. Contact tracing is useful but only so far as it can effectively trace. An airborne virus is just that. Think polio.

Our toolkit has one major task. Trace sick contacts and quarantine. Some of this was accomplished. However, as a NEW entry into the zoonotic picture, it was evident that nothing would stop it from spreading and spread it did. Many wonderful people died.

At this juncture we have two more weapons. 1) our knowledge of how to treat and when to treat it. 2) The virus is weakening.

No one can possibly be nor should they shoulder any blame. As long as the nation of China allows wild tastes to satisfy their population, there will be another after another event. A spillover.

If you have respiratory complications of any illness you should be in touch with your health care provider without delay. If you are severely short of breath call 911. This is a virus you can win with only by diligent attention to your health. Stay well. Avoid sick contacts.
Well it almost certainly had nothing to do with their wet market. Their Wuhan virology lab bragged about the thousands of new bat viruses they had found. And there have been reports for years that the security and safety precautions at that lab were woefully inadequate. Its extremely likely the virus got released from the Wuhan lab.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:38 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Most likely not. But not impossible. Very few - assuming USA - got Covid 19 that early unless some sort of more direct connection to Wuhan China.

An actual overactive immune system can make Covid 19 much worse, so called cytokine storm.

I thought I had it from a ski trip early Feb. but never proven. My Canadian ski buddies all tested negative. And then I did get it from a ski trip in March. Proven with antibody testing. Ski areas were some of the early super spreaders.

Loss of taste and smell was the first thing. At one point I thought I had a UTI or prostatitis. But I think it more severe muscle aches. Requiring narcotics for 3 days. Dizzy, fatigue, weakness and short of breath.

My wife got it too and it nearly killed her as she is immune deficient post stem cell transplant. She is still recovering as the virus turned off her donor bone marrow.
I hope your wife continues to recover!

My boyfriend has myelofibrosis and metastatic lung cancer of unknown origin and we have been locked down since March of 2020. He was supposed to have a bone marrow transplant in June of 2019 when the lung cancer was discovered so the transplant was put on hold. His sister was to be the donor, and had already started her prep.

I only go out for groceries or to the pharmacy. He only goes to doctor appointments, labs etc. This is so hard on both of us.

I'm older (early 70's) and he is 63. If one of us gets this it will be really bad.

Will your wife be a candidate for another transplant, or will her immune system reset? Is she on Jakafi?

Old 11-19-2020, 11:41 AM

I have to add that we don't know anyone who has had the virus.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:54 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I hope your wife continues to recover!

My boyfriend has myelofibrosis and metastatic lung cancer of unknown origin and we have been locked down since March of 2020. He was supposed to have a bone marrow transplant in June of 2019 when the lung cancer was discovered so the transplant was put on hold. His sister was to be the donor, and had already started her prep.

I only go out for groceries or to the pharmacy. He only goes to doctor appointments, labs etc. This is so hard on both of us.

I'm older (early 70's) and he is 63. If one of us gets this it will be really bad.

Will your wife be a candidate for another transplant, or will her immune system reset? Is she on Jakafi?
Thanks for your concern. Her first stem cell transplant was in 2017, an auto - her own harvested cells. That never took hold and she had a more conventional allo - donor in Aug of 2018. That took 500 days to start up. Covid in March turned it off, and she is finally coming back today. She should make it, as her blood counts are coming back. I hope you and yours stay safe and do well!

Old 11-19-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your concern. Her first stem cell transplant was in 2017, an auto - her own harvested cells. That never took hold and she had a more conventional allo - donor in Aug of 2018. That took 500 days to start up. Covid in March turned it off, and she is finally coming back today. She should make it, as her blood counts are coming back. I hope you and yours stay safe and do well!
Wonderful news!

Old 11-19-2020, 12:29 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Wonderful news!
Thanks.

Now the bad news.

Just got a call that my younger daughter has it! She's a geriatric doc in Portland and doesn't know how she got it. She masks, goggles and gowns for all her patients. She's not very sick, but obviously can't see her patients for a while.

Fingers crossed...

Old 11-19-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Now the bad news.

Just got a call that my younger daughter has it! She's a geriatric doc in Portland and doesn't know how she got it. She masks, goggles and gowns for all her patients. She's not very sick, but obviously can't see her patients for a while.

Fingers crossed...
So sorry about your daughter.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:53 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I will attempt to "take on" your challenges. Adequate testing and contact tracing would have helped however what we are seeing is an airborne RNA virus whose adaptability is superior to SARS H1N1 and H1N5. Fortunately it is not as deadly as those previous outbreaks. Contact tracing is useful but only so far as it can effectively trace. An airborne virus is just that. Think polio.

Our toolkit has one major task. Trace sick contacts and quarantine. Some of this was accomplished. However, as a NEW entry into the zoonotic picture, it was evident that nothing would stop it from spreading and spread it did. Many wonderful people died.

At this juncture we have two more weapons. 1) our knowledge of how to treat and when to treat it. 2) The virus is weakening.

No one can possibly be nor should they shoulder any blame. As long as the nation of China allows wild tastes to satisfy their population, there will be another after another event. A spillover.

If you have respiratory complications of any illness you should be in touch with your health care provider without delay. If you are severely short of breath call 911. This is a virus you can win with only by diligent attention to your health. Stay well. Avoid sick contacts.
Yes the virus has mutated and one strain is more highly contagious but less lethal. The original strain from Wuhan is deadly and is still circulating. So are you feeling lucky? How do you know which strain you've caught until it's too late. Want to risk complications and long haulers syndrome as well?

When I see a stellar response from places like Taiwan with its hand full of deaths and very small cases I'm envious of their leadership that got this right vs the nightmare we're in now. So I disagree that nothing would stop it from spreading. Go read about Taiwan. Azar was over there looking at how they did it.

The virus is not weakening, but one strain is weaker than the other. We just lost an otherwise healthy 18 year old in the next town over to Covid. He was obviously one of the wrong people Trump admitted to Woodward on tape that would die from this. Paying attention to your health is good advice, but it is not the cure all to a highly contagious SARS virus that kills indiscriminately.

I disagree that China shouldn't be blamed. Their wet markets are disgusting, filthy places wrought with animal cruelty and are not properly regulated. Banned species are still being sold and consumed. I remember that poor young doctor that nailed it and called it a SARS virus early on. He was silenced and unfortunately died from it. There is a lot of blame here.

I think you should read about SARS in 2003 and how it hit Toronto hard. It was on our soil then, but our CDC was stellar once upon a time, and they stopped it cold in 6 months. So yes, it is possible to contain an airborne virus. Just look at Taiwan. They make us look like a third world country, which is an embarrassment on the world stage.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:56 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
You should ask all the Biden Losers that jumped in the street and started dancing and spreading disease. They can tell you pretty soon what COVID is like and their older family members that will soon get very sick from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies