Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
you don't think that Republicans from all over the USA aren't doing the same thing.?
That was my question in the beginning, with the other thread that mentioned this.

It would be just as easy for a republican to do it as a democrat.

I'm personally praying to god that at least one of those two senate seats are R, so we've got at least some check and balance in the exec/legislative branches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

193 posts, read 60,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
you don't think that Republicans from all over the USA aren't doing the same thing.?
If they are I hope that they are caught and punished. The people of Georgia alone should have a say in this election.

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
Hmm... Maybe I'll take a road trip.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:40 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dawg New Tricks View Post
If they are I hope that they are caught and punished. The people of Georgia alone should have a say in this election.
There's nothing to punish them for.

Unless Georgia can change this law before the January election, it's legal to come visit and register and vote.

You have to break a law to be "caught and punished".

I personally think you shouldn't be able to vote in the run off after an election if you weren't registered to vote at the time of the actual election. That would solve this. Failure of the imagination on the part of lawmakers.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:42 AM

5,644 posts, read 6,204,196 times
It seems to me that someone shouldn't be eligible to vote in a runoff unless s/he was eligible to vote in the original vote to which the runoff relates. Definitely something that needs to be fixed. Unfortunately, just like using every loophole in the tax code to one's advantage, this loophole will be used too. It is in no way fraud if you mean it in its true definition. Poor form, absolutely.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:43 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,801,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dawg New Tricks View Post
“I’m okay with unethically exploiting loopholes if it helps my side.”
Where did he say that?

Every state has their own rules for elections and residency requirements. If GA laws are followed, votes count.

Or maybe Lindsey Graham can call a few more GOP officials to try to get legal votes thrown out. Is that better?

Old 11-17-2020, 11:45 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,801,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
It seems to me that someone shouldn't be eligible to vote in a runoff unless s/he was eligible to vote in the original vote to which the runoff relates. Definitely something that needs to be fixed. Unfortunately, just like using every loophole in the tax code to one's advantage, this loophole will be used too. It is in no way fraud if you mean it in its true definition. Poor form, absolutely.
I know kids turning 18 by the runoff are allowed to vote. Potential for an additional 22 or 23k more voters from what I've read.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:46 AM

9,137 posts, read 5,798,959 times
Quote:
“In order to be able to register to vote in Georgia, you have to be a Georgia resident,” he said. “That means you have to believe you are staying in Georgia.”

Those who try to vote in Georgia while merely visiting the state may face felony charges punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $100,000 fine.”
Might not be a great idea.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Might not be a great idea.
That looks like a total bluff.

I went through the registration form, and nowhere did it say you have to believe you're staying in Georgia. I'm residing in Georgia, here's my mailing address, out of state driver license, and bank account statement.

I know they WISH they had required more, and maybe they can speedy quick push through changes to the law, but as it is now there's no requirement that you intend to remain there.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:51 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,046 times
I really have my doubts that enough people are going to move from CA to GA or from WY to GA to swing the vote either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies