Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 12:40 PM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Do you have any idea how hard it has been to talk to the "Russian collusion' people for 4 years? Or feminists who believe and evil patriarchy is plotting to suppress them?
OK, this is helpful If that's how you feel then What if it was your spouse, sibling, parent or other? What would you do? How would you engage with them if you wanted to continue to do so?.

My thoughts on the comparison, but not really the point:
Here's the difference. It was proven that Russia did, and contintues to interfere with our election. That is not debated, even by Trump himself.

It was proven that Trump did in fact ask the Ukrainian guy to interfere with Biden, not a single shred of evidence that it didn't happen, not even Trump denied it, he just said he didn't mean it that way, and the evidence showed he was lying.

The process was followed, and the Democratic house impeached him, and the Republican Senate aquitted him. I hated that they did that, but I accepted it.

I also thought it was polictically unwise to do the impeachment, but there was IN FACT sufficient evidence to investigate, and unlike election fraud, it had some teeth. You may not agree that Trump's intent was what they said it was, but I defy you to say the discussion did not happen, and I defy you to say that all the people in his admin, including non-partisan military leaders didn't say it was inappropriate.

^If all my info is fake, and if you really cared about me in your life, how would you deal with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 12:44 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,636,011 times
People are very stubborn in their beliefs because of self pride and ego, which means you cannot convince someone to change their mind. All you can do is nod and say okay and tell them to wait for the states to certify each winner and let the news report what's going on. Time will tell.

1,969 posts, read 541,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
That is what I'm trying to avoid, loss of respect. And I'm failing.

That's why it's an honest question.
oh please. just tell them you think they are a fool, because you do, and end the relationship.

i didnt even ask my bff who she voted for until election day. we both voted trump. she is in denial.

i offer her words of kindness. i wouldnt care if she voted for an ape, i love her and know shes great people. our 45 yr friendship is worth more to me than any election. i actually assumed she voted biden and could care less.

people see trump as change and he did great things. hes an ideal that is hard for people to let go of.

maybe have some compassion because if this election went the other way, wed be hearing the anti trumpers going ABSOLUTELY nuts.

a little denial and or hope is natural.
dudes probably better off without you

39,024 posts, read 51,075,331 times
Their heads are so filled with lies and alternative facts from right wing misinformation outlets that reasoning with them is just not possible. Avoid the issue if you can't and end your friendship if not. This is not a treatable disease.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:45 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,335,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
More good news.
If someone said this to me I would have googled it.
Turns out the local race was within 10 votes so they are recounting.
I don't see that as evidence of election fraud but, they way it is presented leads you to believe there was something going on. There wasn't.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:47 PM

1,969 posts, read 541,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
You aptly summed up what leftists think about people with differing opinions, as well as their own from whom they've already extracted what they want.
bam! rep x 10

Old 11-17-2020, 12:49 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,614,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
why do you need to lose respect over this?

I guess if your only real connection to this person is Politics then ok.

I know people who hated the Last Jedi and say it destroyed the franchise. I disagree but ok,..plenty of other things we have in common.

Just shrug it off,.." eh,..you're crazy" ,..and get on with enjoying what you do have in common.
Unless,..as mentioned,. All you had in common was your political beliefs.

In which case,..move on,..
I get what you are saying but we aren't talking about a movie here, which to like or dislike is totally up to subjectivity and personal taste.

This is about facts. The OP has a close, personal contact that is believing falsehoods and conspiracies. It's not a matter of having a different slant on politics or policy. It's hard to have respect for a person when they believe this way. And respect is a foundation for a close relationship.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:51 PM

11,185 posts, read 10,960,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Their heads are so filled with lies and alternative facts from right wing misinformation outlets that reasoning with them is just not possible. Avoid the issue if you can't and end your friendship if not. This is not a treatable disease.

Exactly what those on the right have thought about those on the left for the last 4 years. Quite a gem of advice coming from a leftist.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:51 PM

17,456 posts, read 6,784,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You don’t interact. They’re irrelevant, no one has a use for them.
Keep telling yourself that. We aren't going anywhere.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:52 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,842,316 times
I just had this dilemma an hour ago. A friend heard rumors (well founded) that she’s being laid off. She asked me if our state still had that Covid bonus for unemployment. I said that ended months ago. She replied: “if Trump was reelected he was going to reinstate all that!”

How to respond?
If she’s a trump supporter doesn’t she believe he was re-elected? If not re-elected, he’s certainly the current president, isn’t he? Is he doing anything about all the unemployed with benefits soon to expire, let alone “Covid bonus for unemployed”? Is it even the within the presidents power? So would it matter whether or not he was re-elected or is or will be or just say he is.... or...

I replied: “I guess we’ll see. Best to just look for another job though.”

What are we supposed to say when someone has too many layers of inaccuracies overlapping? It’s beginning to be like talking to the residents in a State Hospital, wondering if the source of the information is paranoia, delusion, low IQ, where to even begin.

Just say: “We’ll see” and don’t give them any responsibilities or tasks to complete that would endanger themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies