Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 12:53 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
That's my sense, too, that this forum is at least 85% conservative, and among those there appear to be some hard core, scary folks. When forums are anonymous like this, people feel free to let their creative imaginations run wild and they may come across much differently than they may in RL.
I agree that there are some nutjobs that post here, and imo we probably have more right wing than the left wing nutjobs but the board is not 85% conservative lmao.

Except that we don't know what your definition of "conservative" is frankly people off center always over-shoot on that in my experience.

Lastly, how do you peg con or lib? Because I'm definitely socially liberal and certainly have more conservative views on other topics. Heck some of my views on topics are just logical (imo) and not even ones I consider political although others do.

P.S. You have a lot of tropes in your OP about conservatives so I'm not sure why people had to wonder about your leanings. Also the last time I checked my ignore list was somewhat tilted towards cons and you have to be pretty awful to make that list.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:03 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Re: Political statistics on CityData
Trump apologists/conspiracy nuts: 40%
Conservatives: 20%
Liberals: 20%
Independents : 20%

Old 11-19-2020, 01:21 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
I'm curious about the general population in this forum with respect to political leanings. A poll might be too limiting, but a general discussion might be helpful. Topics might include:

• If you're familiar with this forum, do you feel most posters are conservative, progressive, or a mix?
• If one group predominates, are opposing views discouraged?
• Do you feel comfortable hearing views that differ from your own?
• Have you ever radically changed your viewpoint based on reason and evidence?
• How certain are you that your perspective is the correct one?

My objective is to get people to be willing to listen to each other and be willing to compromise.
1. Agree with most that the forum leans slightly right
2. No
3. Yes. However, it is frustrating when people post their viewpoint with no supporting evidence. One of the common problems here is starting a thread based on strawman premise. Links to credible sources should be mandatory.
4. I've changed my view several times, but the only change I would call radical is going from a devout Christian to an agnostic.
5. I'm a scientist by career and training. That means you can never be certain of anything; you should be a natural skeptic and always need to be open to new data. However, you have to ensure the data is from a credible source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies