Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 12:01 PM

193 posts, read 60,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
We'll see what the new Supreme Court justice does.
Uh, again, I think you're conflating "abortion" with "birth control", unless you think that the Notorious ACB is going to notoriously try to ban condoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 12:06 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'd say religion is the top thing. The Republican worldview is centered around trying to reclaim an American past that was more righteous, virtuous, and Christian and where everyone knew their place and got along (that past never existed but people form their opinions of the pre-Vietnam era mostly by the TV shows of the time which did depict this kind of America.)

Global warming for instance; we can't make any progress there because fundamentalist Christians believe that the weather is controlled by God and that more extreme weather is a sign Jesus is coming back. Therefore, there's no point in trying to preserve the environment or mitigate the impact of carbon pollution.

With that said, everything goes back to abortion. That's the top, non-negotiable issue for most conservatives. If the anti-abortion party was also the party that believed in climate change, then conservatives would be for doing something about it.
Abortion is NOT liberal/conservative. Many conservatives are pro choice. Many liberals are pro life. The parties have different positions, but both have significant minorities who don't hold the party view.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Womens rights? no such thing

Animal Rights lol no such thing

People have redefined words and groups. Liberals and conservatives were somewhat close in their beliefs back in the day. It's really big government vs small government and having local control vs a one size fits all approach.

And there are few conservatives. From the word conserve, use less of

I'm a vegan, except when I'm eating meat.
It sounds like you are saying that Women (and animals) don't have rights. I suspect that is not what you are saying. Can you clarify?

To be perfectly transparent, and so I don't push you into a "gotchya", I assume you would say that it's "human rights" (not just women). But then you also mentioned "local" vs "one size fits all". Aren't Women Rights a version of "localized"? I mean do you believe in "one size fits all" or do you think we need to look at things more topically, and what is right for a certain locality, race or gender may not be right for "all".

Trying to have an honest discussion here, hence why I gave insight to my question. Hope you'll respond openly and maybe I/we can all learn from each other....

Old 11-19-2020, 12:16 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'd say religion is the top thing. The Republican worldview is centered around trying to reclaim an American past that was more righteous, virtuous, and Christian and where everyone knew their place and got along (that past never existed but people form their opinions of the pre-Vietnam era mostly by the TV shows of the time which did depict this kind of America.)

Global warming for instance; we can't make any progress there because fundamentalist Christians believe that the weather is controlled by God and that more extreme weather is a sign Jesus is coming back. Therefore, there's no point in trying to preserve the environment or mitigate the impact of carbon pollution.

With that said, everything goes back to abortion. That's the top, non-negotiable issue for most conservatives. If the anti-abortion party was also the party that believed in climate change, then conservatives would be for doing something about it.
Nothing worse than a liberal trying to pretend to understand conservatives by spouting CNN and DNC talking points. You should limit your posts to something you have a clue about.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Generally true but 8 should be 'abortion AS birth control'. I don't know a single conservative who is against birth control
And I don't know a single liberal who is in favor of it.... (I'm sure there are some instances of both)

Old 11-19-2020, 12:30 PM

339 posts, read 171,266 times
Someone asked in this or the other thread, what is the purpose of your post. In both threads it was:
>> My objective is to get people to be willing to listen to each other and be willing to compromise.

Uniting opposing factions is a nobel objective. We do need to really listen to each other and not demonize people with opposing viewpoints.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:05 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
I googled "is Black Lives Matter a hate group" and got the following:

Black Lives Matter Is Not a Hate Group
https://time.com/4413786/splc-black-lives-matter/

Apparently, many conservatives think it is. So in this, as with all our topics, it really depends on your perspective.
Did you fincd that its a Marxest founded group that among its tenents it wishes to over throw the American family.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 AM

339 posts, read 171,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Did you fincd that its a Marxest founded group that among its tenents it wishes to over throw the American family.
No, but that sounds extremely unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies