Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 05:32 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times

Advertisements

The one thing most criminals have in common is that there were not raised properly. The facts tell us that those raised in a single parent environment, no matter what race, are the ones who commit the highest rates of crime. The differences are large.
When 70% of black children are raised in a single parent environment of course there will be high rates of crime. Nothing to do with skin color and everything to do with how one is raised.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:35 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
Homicide rates are higher among wealthy blacks than among poor whites ?

I mean maybe that's the case in Chicago ( which is the place that study you linked to above seems to mention a lot ) a city which by now probably has an insignificant poor white population , but I highly doubt that one is more likely to get murdered in any one of the well off mostly black suburbs of Prince George's County MD as opposed to some backwoods nip joint in Leslie County Kentucky .

And I'm speaking as a fellow who's had the cops called on him more than once by the ( probably black ) residents of upscale PGC county suburbs the few times I went there for work related purposes , so it's not me trying to play at being politically correct or what have you .

FWIW I think that homicide rates are oftentimes hard to gauge in rural counties , since it's much easier to ( f.ex ) dispose of bodies in such areas when compared to their urban counterparts .

Heck even a relatively peaceful ( now semi ) rural area like Sussex County DE is supposed to have tons of corpses floating around in the muck of Trap Pond State Park , from back in the days when fellows involved in the P2P meth trade set up labs in the area .

One can only imagine how many murder victims must have disappeared into slurry ponds in places like Letcher County KY , which have been home to drug dealing outlaw clans since at least 1970s .

Anyways I'll have to run through that study you linked again once I have the patience , but suffice to say that methinks my point about homicide being under counted in rural areas stands .
"Homicide rates are higher among wealthy blacks than among poor whites ? "

This is why I don't engage with you.

If you DON'T BELIEVE the data supplied by the professor, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND PROVE IT WRONG INSTEAD of the snarky reply.

IMO, you are NOT as near as smart as you think you are.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:38 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Ah Kembro , we virtually meet again it seems .

As far as knowing the first thing about legitimate social science research , I'm no expert in the field , but I have read a few sociology textbooks which I'd like to think makes me familiar with the concept .

Of course the science of statistics is something I know nothing about , but that only comprises one part of social science research and it's not as if I've made any pronouncements relating to the raw statistical side of the field as such .

But let me ask you a question : How exactly do you think I've failed ?
"but I have read a few sociology textbooks which I'd like to think makes me familiar with the concept"

I read a few books on brain surgery. Would you want me to operate on you?

Old 11-20-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
IMHO it's not so much poverty in the sense of lacking material things that drives ( especially non theft related ) crime rates and particularly involvement in criminal subcultures , but the cultural values that exist in areas that are predominantly inhabited by lower/working class people of a particular ethnic and/or racial group .

In other words if a boy grows up in an area where he spends a lot of time out on the street or out in the woods/non cultivated fields ( if it's a poor rural area ) hanging around characters who teach him notions like it's acceptable to punch someone who disrespects you , then the probability of said boy falling into a criminal lifestyle or even ( probably much more commonly ) picking up a rap sheet increases .

Naturally the sorts of criminal subcultures or even visual styles commonly associated with criminal activity varies with respect to one's surroundings , i.e. Black and Hispanic males are more likely to become involved in street gangs simply because most big/not so small cities ( the environments where street gangs can truly thrive ) no longer have much in the way of poor White neighborhoods , whereas White males are more likely to become outlaw bikers who have actually done stereotypical outlaw biker stuff than their Black/Hispanic counterparts simply because the outlaw biker subculture is much more entrenched in poor/working class White communities .
Then why do children in high crime areas avoid juvenile delinquency if they come from a stable home. Meaning 2 parents, 1 working, and no addiction. Children from those families have a 90% rate of avoiding juvenile delinquency. If not they have only a 10% chance.

High-crime neighborhoods are characterized by high concentrations of families abandoned by fathers.

State-by-state analysis by Heritage scholars indicates that a 10 percent increase in the percentage of children living in single-parent homes leads typically to a 17 percent increase in juvenile crime.

https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-j...age-family-and

Old 11-20-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"but I have read a few sociology textbooks which I'd like to think makes me familiar with the concept"

I read a few books on brain surgery. Would you want me to operate on you?
It's really about the topic and not the pedigree of the speaker.

Plus I don't think it would do any good.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:42 AM

724 posts, read 503,332 times
Quote:
"Homicide rates are higher among wealthy blacks than among poor whites ? "

This is why I don't engage with you.

If you DON'T BELIEVE the data supplied by the professor, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND PROVE IT WRONG INSTEAD of the snarky reply.

IMO, you are NOT as near as smart as you think you are.

How exactly is anything I have written snarky/why exactly do you think I think I'm oh so smart man or whatever you wish to be addressed as ?

FWIW I've never stated that I don't believe the data that was linked in that study , I merely gave a skeptical reply , which is perfectly reasonable .

After all being a professor who collects data doesn't make one infallible , anymore than being someone who has intimate knowledge of white lower/working class culture like yours truly .

And you are definitely more than welcome to not engage with me as well .

Old 11-20-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Then why do children in high crime areas avoid juvenile delinquency if they come from a stable home. Meaning 2 parents, 1 working, and no addiction. Children from those families have a 90% rate of avoiding juvenile delinquency. If not they have only a 10% chance.

High-crime neighborhoods are characterized by high concentrations of families abandoned by fathers.

State-by-state analysis by Heritage scholars indicates that a 10 percent increase in the percentage of children living in single-parent homes leads typically to a 17 percent increase in juvenile crime.

https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-j...age-family-and

Yup coming from a broken family is another major factor behind criminal behavior and I bet that many statistics would show that males of all races/ethnic backgrounds are more likely to commit crime if they didn't have a stable home life during their childhood .

Of course it's also a fact that when one finds little/the opposite evidence of that being the case when perusing the biographies of ( f.ex ) Italian American mobsters , which is why methinks there's more variance to this topic than meets the eye .

Old 11-20-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
"If you have to ask the question, you will NOT understand the answer!", as they say.

I think that actual quote is displayed in the FAQ section of the Big Red Machine's official website .

In all seriousness though , methinks this question is very much appropriate for a Curious George friendly forum as this , albeit everyone is naturally free to not elaborate if they so choose .

Old 11-20-2020, 11:33 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
And you would lose. Data from the National Crime Victimization Survey shows that homicide rates are 10+ times higher among poor blacks than among poor whites in America. They are even higher among wealthy blacks than poor whites. See table 6 at the link below.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibr...3/9909levi.pdf
Well duh, because I highly doubt Chicago (the location that is the focus of this publication) has many wealthy blacks to begin with.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:57 PM

254 posts, read 114,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I think the video of looting is the video. It's not like certain video clips of looting are being suppressed that contain Asian people in it. The biggest part for me is that this rioting and looting is not denounced by community leaders more strongly and those leaders fight back against getting help to suppress the violence.

You watch mass chaos and violence being committed, and yes most of the rioting video has predominantly black people in it, with some white people as well. Most people are horrified by it, and then you turn on the news to see a local leader speak and they talk about how its within people's rights to protest and those protests don't have to be peaceful. Or that the black community is tired of whatever it is, so they get to loot and riot. Or because POC are poor, they have a right to rob stores.

This is when you start to think maybe some of us are playing on different teams here. If the news media would highlight more black leaders speaking out strongly against this kind of violence, I think it would go a long way. There are black leaders who speak out against it, but that's not who the media wants you to listen to.

You can't pretend somehow that there is widespread issues with violence and criminal activity in Asian-American communities in order to ignore problems in other communities. The data does not lie.
Black people have been rioting and looting since Jim Crow this is nothing new. We learned it from white America. Fannie Lou hamer said it best in this clip about rioting.

https://youtu.be/Nhu_uxRR2og
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies