Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 01:21 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times

Advertisements

Harry Styles’ Vogue shoot signals a man at ease with himself, not weakness

UK pop star Harry Styles posed in a dress in a Vogue photo shoot.

Quote:
When I saw Harry Styles wearing a dress on the cover of Vogue, I thought: “Sweet, if a tad Bowie-lite.” I was inclined to leave it at that until rightwing commentators erupted.

In the US, Trump-supporting Candace Owens opined (I’ll edit for length): “There is no society that can survive without strong men. The east knows this. In the west, the steady feminisation of our men [blah, blah, ***, ***] … is an outright attack. Bring back manly men.” Others were outraged about “feminising masculinity”. Why so rattled by a bloke chilling in skirts? And what’s this guff about wanting men to be “manly” again?
If a real man is a male who's not afraid to be his real self (and pop culture and tradition usually define it as such), and I'm to stay true to the claim, then I accept that Harry Styles is more manly than any socially dominant male who effortlessly meets traditional society's idealized gender archetypes. If you disagree with that, then that implies you think a real man is someone who's ashamed to be unmanly - which would pretty much throw-out a crucial plank of "manliness" (being his own self, not caring about what others think, independent thinker, etc.).

Old 11-23-2020, 01:25 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Interestingly, look no further than K-Pop girls that dig feminine-ish men.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:46 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
The strict gender role horse is long dead. Why keep beating it?

Old 11-23-2020, 01:46 AM

9,989 posts, read 5,691,547 times
"Hey everyone, look at me! I'm an iconoclast!!"

"OK, we're looking at you and you look like an idiot."

"WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME? MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS YOU TROGLODYTE!! "

Old 11-23-2020, 01:47 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Harry Styles’ Vogue shoot signals a man at ease with himself, not weakness

UK pop star Harry Styles posed in a dress in a Vogue photo shoot.

If a real man is a male who's not afraid to be his real self (and pop culture and tradition usually define it as such), and I'm to stay true to the claim, then I accept that Harry Styles is more manly than any socially dominant male who effortlessly meets traditional society's idealized gender archetypes. If you disagree with that, then that implies you think a real man is someone who's ashamed to be unmanly - which would pretty much throw-out a crucial plank of "manliness" (being his own self, not caring about what others think, independent thinker, etc.).
Pretty illogical stream of consciousness there to be honest. It goes of the rails right at the start by applying an attribute/definition to "real man" that wouldn't make the top 20 of a list of attributes that define manliness. Self confidence is a good thing of course, for all people.

You use this false premise as evidence that a man dressing as a woman is manly. Illogical.

You use that logic failure to say that if someone disagrees with you, they must therefore be ashamed to be unmanly (what if a women agrees that a man dressing up as a women is unmanly?).

Sorry Phil, makes no sense.

Good on Harry for wearing what he wants, but no, it is not manly to try look like a women.

Does any women on here find it "manly"? If you husband came home dressed like that, would you be thinking "you are so manly right now'?

edit: Apologies if you were just paraphrasing the article, I didn't read it.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:03 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
A man in a kilt or a caftan is not the same as a man wearing a feminine styled dress or skirt... especially one intended for "hunting" purposes. (Oh, you look "charming" in THAT dress!)

Old 11-23-2020, 02:46 AM

34,238 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Pretty illogical stream of consciousness there to be honest. It goes of the rails right at the start by applying an attribute/definition to "real man" that wouldn't make the top 20 of a list of attributes that define manliness. Self confidence is a good thing of course, for all people.

You use this false premise as evidence that a man dressing as a woman is manly. Illogical.

You use that logic failure to say that if someone disagrees with you, they must therefore be ashamed to be unmanly (what if a women agrees that a man dressing up as a women is unmanly?).

Good on Harry for wearing what he wants, but no, it is not manly to try look like a women.

Does any women on here find it "manly"? If you husband came home dressed like that, would you be thinking "you are so manly right now'?

Thanks for exposing his lack of logic. The Left just want to censor any dissent and disagreement with their insane views of pure emotional bunk.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:23 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 5 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but my actual points are:

(1) "Manliness" - the cultural, not biological, notion - is meaningless. It contradicts itself. As far as I see, the cultural definition of it boils down to the Social Dominance traits (forcefulness, thick-skin, bravery, energy, street-smarts / social skills, courage, independence of mind and body, etc) and having a masculine aesthetic. Harry challenges these notions by wearing a dress.

(2) "Unmanliness" in a man should not be a shameful trait. It is not a conscious and deliberate effort to hurt, harm, or demean others. Nor is a sign of lacking self-respect. In fact, I'd say Harry has so much self-respect that he doesn't hook his self-esteem on how well he "represents" his gender.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:45 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,393,829 times
It's ok, I'm sure OP looks nice in a skirt.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:46 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,809,645 times
No idea why people are freaking out about a singer in a fashion shoot wearing a dress. Why do they care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies