Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 06:32 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Like you said, there was no winner in 2000 until December. My recollection is that both sides behaved in a mature manner. The AP did not declare a winner. Gore probably could have kept fighting but bowed out.
Uhm, not only did the AP call Florida for Gore before being forced to retract the call, but they actually did so before the polls in the Central time zone had even closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 06:37 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
All the complaints I've seen from trump's legal team question 20 ballots here or 50 there. The GOP in Wayne County in Michigan dispute was over something like 360 votes. Biden won Michigan by over 150,000 votes.

Do people really think there were never any errors? When trump won in 2016, do you think every single vote was counted accurately? The Wayne County board certified results in 2016 with more irregularities than there are this year. Why are they only raising a fuss in 2020?

When you have over 150 million people voting there will be a few errors and misses. But every secretary of state has said there were no major issues and that there are not enough votes to change the declared winner of each state.

No election is perfect. But 2020 was a decisive victory for Biden. He will end up with over 80 million votes, probably 7 million more than trump.

It's time to move on.

Of course not.

Other countries have been meddling in each other's elections long before 2016 too.

But anyone who says that the level of division in this country did not substantially increased people's motives and willingness to cheat in this election is either daft as a board or just flat out lying.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:42 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
This election can`t compare, with others.....Dem`s were out for blood.....what ever the cost. Makes me sick.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:42 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
This election can`t compare, with others.....Dem`s were out for blood.....what ever the cost. Makes me sick.
And we lost seats in the house and didn't take the senate how?

Old 11-19-2020, 06:49 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Uhm, not only did the AP call Florida for Gore before being forced to retract the call, but they actually did so before the polls in the Central time zone had even closed.
Nope.

https://www.ap.org/en-us/topics/poli...-we-call-races

Old 11-19-2020, 06:49 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I think people would have more confidence with a system where voting occurred on one day, with paper ballots and allowed a provision for those who could not get to polls on Election Day (absentee ballot). There are other steps government could take to make people more comfortable that the elections are fair and honest, but that is a much longer conversation.

True,

Swing states not changing their voting laws to help favor Democrats would also help as well as not using voting machines with removable thumb drives and user adjustable software would help too.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:51 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
There was never fraud on this great of scale.

The fraud in this election was massive and turned a Trump landslide victory into a loss.
Too bad you spent all summer and fall telling us what an a$$kicking Trump was gonna lay on Biden and didn't warn us about all this fraud that was fixing to come down.

Oh wait, it was US telling YOU that if Biden beat Trump... THEN you would be talking about all the fraud that was going on. I remember now.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:53 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
And we lost seats in the house and didn't take the senate how?

They will never answer this question. No election is fraud proof but for anyone to think fraud decided a national election is crazy. Each state sets up it's own election system and believe me each system has it's checks and balances. I challenge anyone to volunteer as a poll worker and report back to this forum how easy it is commit fraud. The odds are less than .000001 The fact is we have a president who refuses to believe he lost his bid for a second term and a congress who are afraid of telling him the truth.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:01 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Quote:
All the complaints I've seen from trump's legal team question 20 ballots here or 50 there. The GOP in Wayne County in Michigan dispute was over something like 360 votes. Biden won Michigan by over 150,000 votes.

Do people really think there were never any errors? When trump won in 2016, do you think every single vote was counted accurately? The Wayne County board certified results in 2016 with more irregularities than there are this year. Why are they only raising a fuss in 2020?

When you have over 150 million people voting there will be a few errors and misses. But every secretary of state has said there were no major issues and that there are not enough votes to change the declared winner of each state.

No election is perfect. But 2020 was a decisive victory for Biden. He will end up with over 80 million votes, probably 7 million more than trump.

It's time to move on.
Perfect is a high bar. One America could get to. However, it doesn't need to be perfect. The closest we came to our imperfection showing up was Florida 2000 when just 600 votes or so decided the election. That's when hanging chads and poorly designed ballots actually made a difference. However, the margins in 2020 are large enough that Biden's win isn't in question. Trump is simply being placated right now. Instead of having to recognize his loss and still have about 80 days left in office, he'll be looking at only 37 days (Electoral College certification to Inauguration Day).

There isn't much in this world that IS perfect. I was one of those 1 in a million (billion?) people that had an error on my credit card statement. To be more specific, I don't mean fraud exactly. I mean an actual error within the CC company's system. I purchased an item for say, $100. On my bill that transaction was listed as $375. I called my company, and they claimed that the vendor charged me $375. I called up the vendor, they provided me the transaction confirmation from the CC company after the sale showing $100. In the end, it WAS an error that occurred internally within the company. A "glitch" if you will.

If there was one instance of transaction data being incorrectly parsed does that mean the entire system is broken?

Technically, our election system is even better than that. It is a disparate system. It isn't centrally located. A foreign (or domestic) entity can't hack one location to much benefit to any particular candidate. Votes are reported by precinct. And there are hundreds of precincts in a county. And hundreds of counties in some of these states.

Will mistakes be found? I don't doubt it. The volume of those mistakes are going to be far smaller than the vote margins are. Should we recognize these mistakes? Yes! Let's improve upon it for next time.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:10 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Not at all. But I am grateful that Pres Trump had shown a light on this.

Voter ID. No mass mailing of ballots. And verified signatures.

Trump showed us the Swamp that is DC and he showed us the bias of the media with their favoritism for the Left.

Trump has now shown us just how desperate the Democrats are for power and how crooked they can get in pursuit of it.

Trump has also shown us that mass mail in ballots are ripe for fraud and that those in power along with their media don't care. We also all know that if the mail in ballots and fixed voting machines were handing Trump a win our cities would be literally burning right now as the Dems threw a nutty.

Of course all this doesn't matter anymore because democracy is on life support and we shouldn't be surprised if by 2024 we are all voting with our phones/internet. What could possibly go wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies