Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 12:54 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We can just flush the integrity down the toilet. Who needs it nowadays?
It's sad isn't it? There are people out there, some of whom are posting to this thread, who apparently think integrity is some sort of old-timey antiquated notion. It makes me sad for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 12:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,230,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I paid to put my two kids through college; do I get a refund?
What is so unique about student debt? Why won't they pay my mortgage?
This is completely unfair to anyone who was responsible and paid their way.
{in petulant whiney voice}
But adulting is soooo hard, and I'd have to work and not spend my money on stuff like a new iphone....MOM, is my lunch ready yet??!!

Old 11-19-2020, 12:58 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Yeah... when my uncle finished law school in the early 80’s he had about $6k in student loans. You’re average law student today is graduating with over $100k in debt. This is a direct result of state legislatures systematically defunding public universities and driving up tuition.
When I went to the University of California in the mid 1970s CA spent 18% of the state budget, now it is around 12%. CA isn't spending less on higher education, the actual dollars are more, much more, but the state is spending so much more on other items that are crowding out higher education, like pensions for public employees, K-12 education on illegal alien children, Medical on illegal aliens, Medical in general and MANY more things they have no business spending money on.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:59 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
One thing that is decent about government loans is they do provide protections and options.

If someone has a legit disability and can’t work (but busted their butt in college) I have no problem with their loans being discharged, unless it’s like the idiot I know who took out 350k in money he thinks is free and that he won’t eventually have to pay back. You can’t do that with a regular loan......you become seriously handicapped or otherwise disabled? FU, pay me.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:00 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderwomanNot View Post
I paid for my own education 30 something years ago. I also paid for my three kids' educations. I worked two jobs, as did my husband.

I don't feel good about forgiving student loan debts, which I think Biden will enact during his first 100 days.
I paid by debt and my dues. No one forced these students who took out so much in loans to go to college....it was a choice they made. A CHOICE.

Let's keep the bashing to a minimum. Just want to see a show of hands about who opposes this or who is for this. Let's remember that the MONEY will come out of your INCREASED TAXES....and the taxes on your kids and grandchildren's salaries....
I am strongly opposed to it. A very small percentage of americans actually have student loans. I am okay with forbearance and/or waiving interest during the pandemic, but not forgiveness of the loans.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:01 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,750,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Interest on qualified student loans is tax-deductible just as mortgage loan interest.
Only up to a certain amount and it has an income limit, unlike mortgage interest on second and even third homes.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:05 PM

16,357 posts, read 8,174,665 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I paid to put my two kids through college; do I get a refund?
What is so unique about student debt? Why won't they pay my mortgage?
This is completely unfair to anyone who was responsible and paid their way.
i agree. there are a lot of things in life that I think are unfair but this is over the top.

Maybe the problem is these types of loans in the first place.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:10 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
i agree. there are a lot of things in life that I think are unfair but this is over the top.

Maybe the problem is these types of loans in the first place.
I agree, as well. What is next? Mortgage forgiveness? Millions are struggling right now. There are many things that people would love to have forgiven. Why is student debt so special? It actually impacts very few people.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:13 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderwomanNot View Post
How do you feel about student loan forgiveness
Well, the equal protection clause would require everyone still living, be reimbursed for any educational loans they may have had to pay for, including the interest.... To make them equally whole.

Transferring debt from the individual, to the entire nation.
How communist of them, to even think that way in the land of the Free.

Repeal the 16th Amendment and do away with all the corruption it breeds within government to get their cut.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:13 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
if everything in life is free, then its worthless. If everybody had a four year degree, it be worthless, you still be working at macdonald. you got to have some skin in the game, stupid should hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies