Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 04:19 PM

18,803 posts, read 8,462,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So let's see... 1 in 1000... .001 ... 1/10 of a percent ...

Meanwhile, cancer death rates are around 180 per 100,000 . So, 1.8 per 1000 . Nearly double covid. Yet, not a peep about how horrendous the deadly cancer is in North Dakota. No hyperventilation. Nada.

Heart Disease is 137.8 per 100,000 . This is 1.37 per 1000 . No gasp from the covidphobiacs on this one either.

Before covid came along, I noticed the left was obsessed with race and gender. We can add covid to that now. You have a greater chance of dying from cancer. But I'll bet you aren't worried about that one bit. Same applies to heart disease. So go eat a bowl of Doritos and see if you can take the edge off your covidphobia.
Covid 19 is quite different than cancer and cardiac. The most prominent is that Covid 19 was sudden, unknown and transmissible. Most of the deaths occurred bunched up in certain areas and at certain times since March. So if we knew a bit more, or prepared more, deaths would have been more preventable.

Cancer and cardiac include all sorts and many diseases. They are better known and spread out geographically and over time. Local acute HC facilities already cope with them, and HC workers don't have the transmissible worries.

My daughter a geriatric doc in Portland called us today as she's got the Covid. So far only mild symptoms. But as her parents are already survivors from March infections, her prognosis is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 04:28 PM

8,112 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So let's see... 1 in 1000... 0.001 ... 1/10 of a percent ...

Meanwhile, cancer death rates are around 180 per 100,000 . So, 1.8 per 1000 . Nearly double covid. Yet, not a peep about how horrendous the deadly cancer is in North Dakota. No hyperventilation. Nada.

Heart Disease is 137.8 per 100,000 . This is 1.37 per 1000 . No gasp from the covidphobiacs on this one either.

Before covid came along, I noticed the left was obsessed with race and gender. We can add covid to that now. You have a greater chance of dying from cancer. But I'll bet you aren't worried about that one bit. Same applies to heart disease. So go eat a bowl of Doritos and see if you can take the edge off your covidphobia.
Could you please list the R0 for cancer and heart disease?

Old 11-19-2020, 04:29 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, to put this in context you are rolling back a typical victim that is 70-80 years old to the age of 16?

All of that to craft a narrative about people lacking empathy over the deaths of all these children?

I'd say you call for more imagination is more of a warning about using too much of it.
I'm not talking about the deaths of children. I'm using a population of children to be a metaphor for the loss of 0.1% of a larger population of people in general. I must not have made myself clear.

You could use any other large population--factory workers, residents of group housing, civic organizations, church congregations. My point was that minimizing the loss of 0.1% of a population ignores the real loss of the community that those two people out of two thousand belonged to. I was not talking about the students themselves being the ones who die. That was where the imagination part came in.

One of the reasons that I hate the focus on the numbers is that it makes it easy to lose sight of the fact that each number represents a real person who was busy living their life when they breathed in this virus in concentrations enough to eventually kill them. Maybe you aren't a part of a larger community where 1 of a thousand people dead would be considered a loss. If not, I hope that you are able to imagine that you were.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
https://nypost.com/2020/11/19/covid-...esidents-data/

ND is also reporting 90K cases per 1 million residents .

90,035 to be exact. #1 in the country.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

It also joined the "1,000" club - 1,043 deaths per million residents.

That ranks 8th in the country and climbing.

On the other end of the spectrum Vermont has 96 deaths per million people and only 5,066 cases per million people.
Incidentally thanks to opening up Memorial Day my city and county has a 5% death rate, and roughly 1 in a 1000 of our local residents have died from Covid 19 as well.

https://covid-19-mohave.hub.arcgis.com/

Old 11-19-2020, 04:35 PM

8,112 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Covid 19 is quite different than cancer and cardiac. The most prominent is that Covid 19 was sudden, unknown and transmissible. Most of the deaths occurred bunched up in certain areas and at certain times since March. So if we knew a bit more, or prepared more, deaths would have been more preventable.

Cancer and cardiac include all sorts and many diseases. They are better known and spread out geographically and over time. Local acute HC facilities already cope with them, and HC workers don't have the transmissible worries.

My daughter a geriatric doc in Portland called us today as she's got the Covid. So far only mild symptoms. But as her parents are already survivors from March infections, her prognosis is very good.
Wishing your daughter quick and full recovery.

Old 11-19-2020, 05:05 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Correct.

And that was partly due to the surprise of the virus though Emperor Cumo's death camps didn't help.

Point is, it's deep into the season, bro. We have the scouting report on Covid. We know it likes fastballs, low and away. Has trouble with change-ups. Struggles against lefties etc.

Use the scouting report. You were forced to pay for it at gunpoint for God's sake.
Are my eyes deceiving me or is an avowed libertarian calling for government restrictions to slow this virus?

The media got you to sh*t your pants so fast, eh?

Old 11-19-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Wishing your daughter quick and full recovery.
Thanks!

Old 11-19-2020, 07:05 PM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I'm not talking about the deaths of children. I'm using a population of children to be a metaphor for the loss of 0.1% of a larger population of people in general. I must not have made myself clear.

You could use any other large population--factory workers, residents of group housing, civic organizations, church congregations. My point was that minimizing the loss of 0.1% of a population ignores the real loss of the community that those two people out of two thousand belonged to. I was not talking about the students themselves being the ones who die. That was where the imagination part came in.

One of the reasons that I hate the focus on the numbers is that it makes it easy to lose sight of the fact that each number represents a real person who was busy living their life when they breathed in this virus in concentrations enough to eventually kill them. Maybe you aren't a part of a larger community where 1 of a thousand people dead would be considered a loss. If not, I hope that you are able to imagine that you were.
The problem is that I'm too aware not just of that 0.1% (and I lost a relative to Covid so don't try playing the empathy card again plz & thanks.) but of the OTHER 0.1%, the ones at risk of losing their business, homes and that results in increased drug use, suicides, homicides and so forth.

Do you recall a lot of stories and articles about the aftermath of Katrina where survivors were struggling to rebuild and succumbing to a host of mental issues etc?

Well that is something that I also think about when contemplating the situation from my comfy chair, with no impact to my fianancial situation, plenty of money etc. etc. is to be completely aware of the damage that is being done that isn't measured case by case with an identifiable marker.

Whatever decisions and choices that are made will all have consequences, some more subtle than others.

With that, I appreciate your views and obviously good heart and have a great night.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:52 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Are my eyes deceiving me or is an avowed libertarian calling for government restrictions to slow this virus?

The media got you to sh*t your pants so fast, eh?
Nope.

The State is immoral, illogical, and illegitimate. NO STATE RESTRICTIONS.

I'm asking you to think for yourself. I've been over this in here a million times. Republicans/Trumpers are literally dying to spite Democrats.

I wouldn't care if your team had respect for property rights but you folks love to walk into stores (private property my dear Marxists) with no masks and proceed to throw fits.

Trump got jobbed, preemptively, but it's no wonder ya'll lost the popular vote by 6 million and counting. This is insane.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:15 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Nope.

The State is immoral, illogical, and illegitimate. NO STATE RESTRICTIONS.

I'm asking you to think for yourself. I've been over this in here a million times. Republicans/Trumpers are literally dying to spite Democrats.

I wouldn't care if your team had respect for property rights but you folks love to walk into stores (private property my dear Marxists) with no masks and proceed to throw fits.

Trump got jobbed, preemptively, but it's no wonder ya'll lost the popular vote by 6 million and counting. This is insane.
Yup.

You shat your pants. I can smell it from here.

You have been running around, like chicken little, screaming the sky is falling for quite some time.

Where I sit, it's blacks and mexicans dying from Covid, and some really really obese white people and old people, that's it. Blacks and mexicans are your team man, Democrats.

And these small businesses are being FORCED by the state to enforce mask mandates. That's what we're against. Not a small business voluntarily enforcing mask mandates, which allows us to take our business somewhere else. But when all grocery stores require masks, you either got to tow the government line or go without food.

You sound like an idiot, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies