Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 08:05 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I find that some people label office holders who are willing to compromise and reach across to the other party as "cowards" and "weak".

I disagree... compromise and putting country before party is a sign of strength. This was similar to McCain who refused to entertain false character attacks on Obama even while running against him for the Presidency.

Actual political views and standings aside... these are the type of politicians we need more of. Our country depends on healthy Republican AND Democratic parties; compromising and keeping each other in check.
Tried to rep you but CD wouldn't allow it. I strongly agree with your post. Thank you

Old 11-20-2020, 08:24 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
As an outsider looking into the current GOP, I beg to differ. I see a political party who only reaches out to its core base and excludes anyone who doesn't fall in line with the typical party rhetoric of climate denial, Covid-19 denial, insistence on coal (the filthiest fuel I ever worked with in the energy sector) win-at-all-cost, etc., etc., That's not a Moderate GOP. That's a GOP on the fringes of lunacy.
None of that is relevant to the typical understanding of whether the GOP is moderate. Covid is a temporary problem, and the other things are brand new issues that few people care about. Still, maintaining the status quo is obviously the moderate position. And Trump's views on coal are the same as those of 90% of Americans (use it), and his views on climate change are the same as those of 75% of Americans (no way to know whom to trust and can't do anything about it anyway). By the way, there is no such thing as "climate denial", and it's a mark of supreme ignorance and un-seriousness to use that term.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:26 AM
bu2

24,069 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
It’s too bad more Republicans don’t have the same sentiment.

He stated:
Having failed to make even a plausible case of widespread fraud and conspiracy before any court of law, the President has now resorted to overt pressure on state and local officials to subvert the will of the people and overturn the election. It is difficult to imagine a worse, more undemocratic action by a sitting American president.
I don't think there is anything sensible about someone who thought he could win election as President by simply saying "I am not Obama" and talking about the "47%."

Old 11-20-2020, 08:28 AM

25,680 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Romney is the most fake person I've ever seen in my life. A complete dead fish. As much as I dislike people like Nancy Pelosi, at least she is firm in her support of all I despise. At least she stands for what she believes in. Romney would sell his own mother if he thought it would gain him support. He's CERTAINLY not a conservative... but he's more than happy to sail under that false flag if it gins up support for him and his malignant ego.

Last edited by ChrisC; 11-20-2020 at 08:36 AM..

Old 11-20-2020, 08:34 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,092,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I find that some people label office holders who are willing to compromise and reach across to the other party as "cowards" and "weak".

I disagree... compromise and putting country before party is a sign of strength. This was similar to McCain who refused to entertain false character attacks on Obama even while running against him for the Presidency.

Actual political views and standings aside... these are the type of politicians we need more of. Our country depends on healthy Republican AND Democratic parties; compromising and keeping each other in check.
But that doesn’t apply to Dems of course who spent 4 years claiming Trump was a Russian agent, that Kavanaugh was a gang rapist, and the smiling Covington kid was a nazi

Old 11-20-2020, 08:39 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
None of that is relevant to the typical understanding of whether the GOP is moderate. Covid is a temporary problem, and the other things are brand new issues that few people care about. Still, maintaining the status quo is obviously the moderate position. And Trump's views on coal are the same as those of 90% of Americans (use it), and his views on climate change are the same as those of 75% of Americans (no way to know whom to trust and can't do anything about it anyway). By the way, there is no such thing as "climate denial", and it's a mark of supreme ignorance and un-seriousness to use that term.
I highly doubt this argument would gain much traction amongst the young and diverse: the Future [Voters] of this country

Old 11-20-2020, 08:41 AM

6,796 posts, read 14,016,278 times
The history books will be kind to Romney. He is not a Trump jockstrap carrier because he has huge support in his state and he does not have to worry about a president tweet hurting him. I can promise you that many more members of congress believe the same as Romney but fear what the president can due to them if they speak out. Trump treats these congress critters like lap puppies afraid to say anything negative about big daddy. They fear daddy may put a spotlight on them if they speak out. The GOP is full of cowards who fear a tweet about them. They are spineless and we all know it.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:41 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,244 times
Funny reading all the comments bashing Romney but not one person has addressed the comments themselves.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:42 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
But that doesn’t apply to Dems of course who spent 4 years claiming Trump was a Russian agent, that Kavanaugh was a gang rapist, and the smiling Covington kid was a nazi
And of course, the Republican party kept them in check....

Same for many occurrences for in the opposite direction as in the years past.

If either party isn't present and healthy in our politics, then things like that and others like Birtherism will run their course unchecked.

I think my point flew right over your head. If all you think is "us vs them" then it might be difficult to see it.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:43 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I highly doubt this argument would gain much traction amongst the young and diverse: the Future [Voters] of this country
Maybe, but your positions on those issues aren't the moderate positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.