Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 08:49 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Americans don't care?

Americans turned out in force to elect Trump. He was a business man first that loved America and wanted everyone to do well. He was not a career politician. His election and popularity was a rejection of the same ol same ol career politician and that is why he received so much hate from both sides of the aisle. He was calling them out and bringing attention to the swamp that is DC.

What is sad is that the the Love for Trump was defeated by the ginned up Hate for him.

I doubt we will ever see another President that inspires so much joy, hope and Patriotism.
Ginned up lol, yeah, that's it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 08:58 AM

9,866 posts, read 4,638,421 times
It about symbolism through rhetoric. Just keep that swamp full.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:03 AM

6,750 posts, read 3,365,850 times
If the media likes a candidate they will make them look like the angels rode them in on a silver cloud. If they don't, forget about it. A candidate will be vilified, demonized, and brutalized to no end.

The media oligarchs of Twitter, Facebook, and Google now control American politics. They approve and censor what people see.

There are still a precious few politicians out there that genuinely want to do some good for the American people, but they have to be on the side of the aisle the media approves of or they have a tough uphill battle. Going forward, anyone considering a career in politics has to be some kind of masochist.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:05 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Obama wasn't smart? Former mayor Bloomberg isn't smart? Ben Carson isn't smart?

Plenty of smart and good people run, but we don't give a damn about that. We care about name recognition and identity politics.
Sorry, my statement was a generalization. Of course there are good and smart candidates, but they are few and far between IMHO.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:24 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Whether Democrat or Republican, you're mad that your candidate lost the Presidency, Senate, House or Gubernatorial race etc.

You don't think the primary winner of the party race represents you.

You are disgruntled with the local representatives.

It is definitively due to the fact that your neighbors don't care.

Your neighbors are too busy smoking ganja, eating themselves to oblivion, injecting insulin, popping blood pressure meds, eating ho-ho cupcakes, tweeting #YOLO, getting into road rage, eating Ben and Jerry's then complaining about bloating farting in line at the grocery store hours later with their mask beneath their nose.

Your neighbors are too busy ignoring overdue capital one bills, crying to daddy to increase their allowance at age 45, stuffing ramen noodle high sodium packets down their throat and complaining they feel dizzy, calling out sick from work, posting on snapchat #F**kdaHaterz and neglecting their #blessedChildren

Your neighbors are too busy to move and think differently and question the status quo. They are too busy dealing with the overwhelming miasma of their own ego and all that it entails, and endless loop of hedonistic mindless vices and meaningless social media quips and faux-inspirational quotes.

Your neighbors are too busy. And there's nothing you can do about it legally.

The only option I see for the thinkers among us is to either isolate yourself from and profit off the lemmings or leave.

Thoughts?
I think there are more important things to care about than elections...like society being educated in general. I think people care a lot about their politician of choice, at least this election. We've got three groups of people with opposite wishes regarding the future of the country. There are the middle ground people, the far fight and (for America) the far left (although they'd not be particularly far left in the rest of the world).

Those groups are going to keep disagreeing with each other until society figures out which general path is, objectively best...and there's probably going to be one best path for quite a few issues. It's just that most of us don't have the education, or perhaps time, to know what that is.

I've made many posts about global warming. I'm probably like, one of three people on this website who understands hardly anything about it more complex than "Well, clearly the scientists say X, so I'll agree with them" or "Well, clearly the democrats are all part of a vast conspiracy to gain control and global warming is bunk." I assume that's partly because I've sacrificed other areas of knowledge. I pay little to no attention to economics, for example, and lots of people are frequently posting threads about laws and policies I've never herd of. I have no clue what the hell should be done about immigration. There are a very small number of topics that I know enough about to usually not cause damage when I discuss them...and that's it.

Education is going to be what steadily veers society towards the right path. That'll have more long term effects than elections.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:43 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
Man, you must have some pretty bad neighbors. Mine aren't like that.
LOL!

Love when they think they can wall themselves off from society and its problems.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:49 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Whether Democrat or Republican, you're mad that your candidate lost the Presidency, Senate, House or Gubernatorial race etc.

You don't think the primary winner of the party race represents you.

You are disgruntled with the local representatives.

It is definitively due to the fact that your neighbors don't care.

Your neighbors are too busy smoking ganja, eating themselves to oblivion, injecting insulin, popping blood pressure meds, eating ho-ho cupcakes, tweeting #YOLO, getting into road rage, eating Ben and Jerry's then complaining about bloating farting in line at the grocery store hours later with their mask beneath their nose.

Your neighbors are too busy ignoring overdue capital one bills, crying to daddy to increase their allowance at age 45, stuffing ramen noodle high sodium packets down their throat and complaining they feel dizzy, calling out sick from work, posting on snapchat #F**kdaHaterz and neglecting their #blessedChildren

Your neighbors are too busy to move and think differently and question the status quo. They are too busy dealing with the overwhelming miasma of their own ego and all that it entails, and endless loop of hedonistic mindless vices and meaningless social media quips and faux-inspirational quotes.

Your neighbors are too busy. And there's nothing you can do about it legally.

The only option I see for the thinkers among us is to either isolate yourself from and profit off the lemmings or leave.

Thoughts?
"This is Why Poor Quality Candidates Get Elected" ... poor quality candidates is all this society has to offer.

"If you want a moral and just government, you have to raise one" ... author unknown.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Americans Don't Care. This is Why Poor Quality Candidates Get Elected.

I think another big part of why poor quality candidates get elected is they're rarely if ever held accountable for their campaign promises.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:09 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That used to happen regularly in the 1800s. Several of the one term presidents were one termers because they lost a primary, not a general election.

But ever since the 1980 Democratic primary between Carter and Kennedy, both sides are scared to do it fearing it will cost them the general
Well, the way I see it, the sitting President better do a good job.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:26 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
The real issue is.....Just WHO would want the media to go back in your life, pick apart every mistake you might have made and publicize it? Who would want to have an indiscretion made public on something you did 23 years ago? Who would want their finances torn apart and reviewed by those "media experts"?
Most normal human beings would want no part of running for national office. It would take someone with an extreme Narcissistic personality to want to jump into those shark filled waters. Just look at our last two presidents, perfect examples!
This is a good point. American politics does this slander the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies