Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 05:17 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
“If we keep taking steps toward a more perfect union, and close the gaps between who we are and who we want to be, America will move forward.”

~President Obama, 2015
A speech given to the NAACP in July 2015. So what did Obama do for Black people between then and Jan 2017?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 05:23 PM

4,786 posts, read 2,622,115 times
race had nothing to do with it..anyone with two brain cells knew he had to go..

Old 11-21-2020, 05:34 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
race had nothing to do with it..anyone with two brain cells knew he had to go..
if "one side" acts in the way that you just said - because I was just pointing out where that quote came from - and assumes only idiots and ass holes constituted 72MM votes, then we won't be able to come together as a nation.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:47 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,648,878 times
A related question to the OP:

Why did whites in the north fight to free the slaves? Obviously if the whites stayed united, they could have kept the blacks enslaved for another 400 more years.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:59 PM

17,456 posts, read 6,776,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It's only close in a few swing states. Which is entirely expected, that's what it means to be a swing state.

Overall, it's not close at all. Biden will win with exactly the same number of electoral votes that Trump won with. Now I thought calling 306 votes a landslide, as Trump did, was always an exaggeration, so I'm not calling it a landslide for Biden either. It's a comfortable and respectable margin though. Trump blew it. I sincerely hope that Biden doesn't.

Many states, R AND D, that use mail-in doing did just fine, and no one in those states is screaming fraud..
If Biden "blows it" I'm sure you'll vote for him or whatever Democrat runs. So spare us the theatrics.

Old 11-21-2020, 06:05 PM

1,969 posts, read 541,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
A related question to the OP:

Why did whites in the north fight to free the slaves? Obviously if the whites stayed united, they could have kept the blacks enslaved for another 400 more years.
they were racists

Old 11-22-2020, 01:44 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,901,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
A speech given to the NAACP in July 2015. So what did Obama do for Black people between then and Jan 2017?
My post was to comment on the following in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Canada doesn't even allow mail-in voting. Heck, even third world banana republics don't allow mail-in voting, precisely because it's rife for being brutalized.

I will never trust another election in America as long as millions are mailing intheir votes - to mention nothing of Big Tech pulling all the strings for far Leftist policies going forward.

America will never have a clean election again. Mark my words. Which is why Trump's first term was such a surprise - Big Tech didn't get Hillary elected when they easily could have. But those days are over.

America is no longer a free country - come to think of it it probably never was.
America was/is an idea, a poem (Walt Whitman) so to speak. It was not a free Country for all from day one. My reality-based take on President Obama's statement ...

Quote:
"If we keep taking steps toward a more perfect union, and close the gaps between who we are and who we want to be, America will move forward.”
... was that his was a reality & evidence based take on the Preamble's:

Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, ...
I was confirming that we the People of the United States have by reality-based assessments, taken steps to forming a more perfect union.

We, by reality-based assessments, have taken steps to close the gaps between who we are & who we want to be.

There is, imho, still work to be done.

There also seems to be some disagreement about "who we want to be".

Old 11-23-2020, 01:03 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,516,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Biden was more popular than Hillary, or OBAMA... Let that sink in...to reality. You buying it?
Or trump was worse than most expected.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Don't complain when the job market doesn't improve and it's hard to get a job.

Prior to the pandemic that began in March, the economy was booming and we had record low unemployment. If Biden "officially" wins, things may not improve until he gets out of office.
No, the economy hasn’t been “booming” for decades.
We’ve been propping it up with debt and low interest rates for at least the last 15 years.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Considering Trump got MORE votes than he did 4 years ago, I would say no one had "buyer's remorse".
Very, very poor logic.
The most tremendously poor logic the world has ever seen. Ask anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies