Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 07:08 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
No, actually, Nixon, Ford and Carter were three recent Presidents without a new war started under their administration.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ar/6086636002/

Both Ford and Carter = One Term Presidents just like Trump
My mistake on Ford, I was looking at the list, but that article is technically wrong on Carter per my link in the original post.

Under Carter the US Shaba II the War in Zaire. Under Carter we also started funding Osama Bin Laden for the first time.

Eisenhower also had the Lebanon Crisis and slightly escalated what Truman had been doing in Vietnam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Trump, no new wars and 4 peace deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 07:14 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The GOP has been trying to shove supply side economics down America's throat for 40 years. It is NOT broadly supported by the public.

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/poll...7-tax-law.aspx
Hilarious.

Obama made every single Fed pick from the Head of it all on down to be Quantitative Easing pushers.

QE is a variation of trickle down economics.

Obama owns the QE that happened on his watch.

Obama had more trickle down economics than Reagan did as percent of the economy. It is cool when Obama does it though, he has a (D) after his name!

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...021-3624480217

Old 11-21-2020, 07:21 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

If Trump had a better personality he would have won in a landslide. Trump is abrasive and insults people too much to win over key demographics.

If this is the case, the Republicans need to find someone with similar policies, but a better personality.
Heck, I've been saying that since I voted for him in 2016. I don't like the man, but I like his policies because they are good for America. And I vote for policy, not personality.

I think that's the thing for so many liberals. It's why they support people with such inane beliefs as the squad. They like their personality so they vote on emotion and then try to make up policy beliefs to justify their emotions.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:29 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I like Trump but I used to cringe when he stuck his foot in his mouth or got his thumbs twisted up on twitter. WHY Trump WHY? In the first debate with Biden all he had to do was shut up. Biden and the moderator Wallace were against Trump but whenever the pressure was getting to Biden and he started to stumble Wallace would save him and worse Trump did too by interrupting!

Of course 4 long years of the propaganda arm of the Democrats the mass media, did their best to destroy the man but there were far too many times that Trump helped them.

You can't fault Trump for many of his America first policies but his personality was a real issue.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Seems to me this was an election based on personality more so than policy.

Had Trump chosen to lay off Twitter and moderated his rhetoric, I have no doubt he would have easily won a second term. Instead, people voted against Trump.

Trump’s tweets and retweets have shown the world who he is. Believe him.

I have never attributed to or blamed a POTUS or party for the good, bad and ugly in my own life. I own it.

I don’t understand idolizing a President, any President or celebrity.

Trump inherited a strongly improving economy compared to the depths of the Great Recession and aftermath.
The momentum was sustained until Covid, a one in a 100 year global pandemic

There are thousands of micro economies in the US and no POTUS controls it. If he did, there would be no recessions.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:14 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I like Trump but I used to cringe when he stuck his foot in his mouth or got his thumbs twisted up on twitter. WHY Trump WHY? In the first debate with Biden all he had to do was shut up. Biden and the moderator Wallace were against Trump but whenever the pressure was getting to Biden and he started to stumble Wallace would save him and worse Trump did too by interrupting!

Of course 4 long years of the propaganda arm of the Democrats the mass media, did their best to destroy the man but there were far too many times that Trump helped them.

You can't fault Trump for many of his America first policies but his personality was a real issue.
It was a positive issue! I and many millions of others loved hearing him put down enemies of freedom and enemies of America. It was precisely what America needed when we needed it. This criticism is such nonsense!

Forget the first debate....he had COVID, for cryin' out loud. Everyone could see he wasn't himself.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:18 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
On October 29, less than a week before the election Gallup released a poll: Are you better off today than you were 4 years ago?

The results?

56% said yes, 32% said worse off, and 12% about the same. Those "are you better off numbers" were the highest recorded since when this poll started in 1984 with Reagan's 49 state landslide. Trump's +24% would be amazing in a normal year considering that there is a pandemic, economic turbulence, the media dumping fear and Trump attacks hourly. Moreover, I would estimate about 1/4th of the country hates him with passion.

People clearly thought that the Trump years improved their lives, they just didn't like him as a person. Obama had net negative numbers in his first term. Most thought their lives were not better under Obama's first term and yet he won reelection, because many people thought highly of him as a person. Bill Clinton won reelection with only 38% thinking that they were better off, but Dole was weak.

Trump delivered no new wars. The first president to do so since Herbert Hoover. Obama started US involvement in 7 conflicts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Trump delivered regulation and tax cuts.

Trump fought for US manufacturing even if it is a losing battle.

Trump fought to reduce military overseas deployment.

Trump worked on illegal immigration.

If Trump had a better personality he would have won in a landslide. Trump is abrasive and insults people too much to win over key demographics.

If this is the case, the Republicans need to find someone with similar policies, but a better personality.
Nice post, except your conclusions.

There was a fraud. Joe Biden would not have the votes to win without it. It is about to be proven.

and BTW we like him the way he is.....

Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Promises made. Promises forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQFItVBKlAU

Old 11-21-2020, 08:42 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Trump's a jerk, but he is also a pretty good POTUS and did a better job than any of his more recent predecessors. Economically, diplomatically, judicially. Usurper Biden is at best an old sour puss political parasite with failing mental faculties and at worst he's a fascist crook that's an ******* with declining mental faculties. How is that idiot going to possibly NOT be a disgrace and a disaster if he manages to steal the election.
I see people on both sides uniting within a year to demand his removal. We can already see the insane dictates he's making, ones which are just oppressive and damaging and without reason or merit.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:46 AM

15,839 posts, read 6,543,563 times
I agree with the OP for the most part, although DJT's disdain for science and love of fake conspiracies gives me significant pause. Some of his policies I'd have been willing to support, if he wasn't such a total hateful lying arse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies