Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 09:13 AM

6,659 posts, read 2,966,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Sometimes I wonder how people are completely ignorant about what happens in China. Is it just due to the lack of interest?
Almost a million people have been given an experimental Chinese coronavirus vaccine, in a number of countries.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/asia/...hnk/index.html

China controlled the virus very well and the country has been back to normal for months.
Movie theaters, restaurants, tourist sites are all open (masks still required in many places.)
Now they are dragged down by imported cases.
I have many contacts in China.. None of them were given or told about any of these 'experimental' vaccines.

I am sure they have 'something' in the works.,.as many other Countries. But nothing close to completion as Pfiezer. I don't count 'experimental'. as it has not been nationally released. Nor will be as long as it is still experimental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 09:14 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
or, I could simply say that given existing Chinese policies/actions. It certainly seems like they'd not think twice about sacrificing 5K* of 1.4B in order to vastly increase their power.

*if anyone believes that the world's largest nation, where the first KNOWN cases were reported, has the 14th lowest per-capita cases and that few deaths

Very little doubt China has never shared real numbers. Back in February/March there were horrific images coming from China with bodies piled up on the streets and in vans and people being barricaded in their apartments. There is no such thing as free press - not even in HK anymore.

I would also guess the numbers are far too low in India.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:19 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
They don't. Or say they don't. They are a bit embarrassed that they haven't come up with a vaccine yet even though they were the first ones hardest hit.

Unless they snuck in the water or something.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-54883383

they've had an effective vaccine for several months now.
of course being a chinese vaccine, all you're see and hear in western media is suspicion, on how people are being forced to take it, how they're "conducting tests" on people.

and the suspension mentioned in the article above is due to sinophobia. the "adverse effect" was a death.. a death of someone partaking the vaccine who committed suicide.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/10/healt...hnk/index.html

Old 12-01-2020, 09:21 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
It's very coincidental that Wuhan was locked down the day AFTER the first case diagnosed in the US, and just after the Diamond Princess cruise left Japan.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Diamond Princess cruise left Japan.
What do they have against Diamond Princess cruise? lol. Leisure cruise ships used to leave port all the time. Nothing special about this one, you can pick any week.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:32 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
It's very coincidental that Wuhan was locked down the day AFTER the first case diagnosed in the US, and just after the Diamond Princess cruise left Japan.
Because that was right before the Chinese new year.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Because that was right before the Chinese new year.
Definitely to curb all the travel. I was in Shanghai that New Years. Worst Chinese New Year ever.

So I think the timeline is more 'after' new years or smack in the middle. Where people would be traveling back to their jobs.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:08 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times
Quote:
Let me start by saying I think it was a lack of transparency, saving face, etc. I don't *think* they intentionally created and unleashed it on purpose. But could it happen?

does the CCP have really strong control of the country? The government, the media, industry, research, the ability to control people's movements?

It seems the answer is yes to all.

Do the surrounding Asian nations - Taiwan, Hong Kong, S Korea, etc - you think they trust the CCP, or are always on a heightened state of "defense"?

Again, I'd say so - they don't trust the CCP.

So, whether they had the ability to release the virus with intent, while minimizing the effect within their borders, seems clear.

Maybe they were were studying the virus at the lab, and though sloppiness one of the researchers went to eat lunch at the market and spread it to 1 person. A week later, one of them goes back to the market and sees that person, or someone else, sick with the symptoms they've found the virus causes. While the CCP tries to contain it, they find out it has spread through the large dense city. So they order a lockdown, and enforce it.

Meanwhile, one Chinese citizen has gone to Germany for work, and taken the virus there. Who knows how much travel occurred between Europe and NYC in late 2019. An American citizen had gone through Wuhan, and now came home on Jan 20.
I know you're theorizing, but nothing in your post speaks to how one can release a virus on its population, ensuring that they can limit the spread domestically, and have it spread like wildfire everywhere else.

have you been to china?
yes, they have a single party authoritarian govt but the control you speak of is not what you think it is. there is no limiting of movement or information. sure the news is curated and is propaganda to a degree (not that ours is any better), but VPN is commonly used if they so desired to view the outside world.
hundreds of millions of chinese citizens travel abroad; thousands of students study internationally... you think they don't know how the outside world operates, and wouldn't call out their govt for grievances?
the fact is that most of them are willingly giving up what we consider "freedoms" for the greater good of society - free speech (which we ourselves no longer have), free press, surveillance cameras, etc.
don't project your values on another country/culture which lives a completely lifestyle.

btw, the wet market theory has already been debunked. a high percentage (I don't recall the number but it's majority) of the cases could not be traced back to the market.

Quote:
or, I could simply say that given existing Chinese policies/actions. It certainly seems like they'd not think twice about sacrificing 5K* of 1.4B in order to vastly increase their power.

*if anyone believes that the world's largest nation, where the first KNOWN cases were reported, has the 14th lowest per-capita cases and that few deaths
events that played out suggest that they care more about their population than the US does.
case in point: there was an outbreak in a couple of their "small cities". Qingdao (a population larger than NYC) had a few new cases pop up. the govt tested ALL of their citizens over 5 days. for free.

perhaps the real motive is economics and not altruism. they understand that a sick populace is not conducive to building a flourishing economy. regardless, the end result is more important than the motive.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:46 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
The US has tested more than China. 190MM+ to 160MM. 5x/capita. How long has China been on a nice round 160MM? If they're no longer testing, then how do they get any new cases?

What was the reasoning for saying deaths were eliminated by mid-March, but then reporting another 1,300 30 days later? Why were 1/3 of their cases (at the time) reported in one day, AFTER their curve had already started going down?

what has happened with the doctors who were WhatsApp-ing info out?

How is it that China has done so well - beyond the strict CCP controls - but hasn't communicated that to the Western World?

Old 12-01-2020, 09:45 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
it was attempt of color revolution in China.
China is very fragmented politically and nationally. with powerful deep state.
This organization https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...na&action=edit
against Chinese Communist Party.
It was stopped by CCP.
It was not just Chinese event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
It opened in edit mode ... this one should work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun...eague_of_China
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What would the Communist Youth League of China know something special about the virus?
I don't think the COVID virus is the topic of this thread ... I think G. Duval was referring to another type of virus, that spreads, but isn't a biological infectious disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies