Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 05:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Green_Mariner has anything but a victim mentality. I disagree often with them, but they always post in a respectful manner, never resort to personal attacks nor do they play the victim card. I disagree with Green fairly often but never because they are playing the victim card.
disagree. I've read his posts for years.

green mariner is a 30 something, college grad, middle class, virginal male, child of professional married parents who always skews any topic about blacks to him 'suffering' discrimination. he may have been a victim of bullying, but doubt the abuse was due to his black skin.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-25-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 06:02 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I honestly didn't see the big crime here. I worked swing shift and missed many a Holiday family photo. Society is so damned fickle who can keep up? 1 minute feminists are screaming we don't need men to raise a family. The LGBT community screams we dont need a man and a woman to raise a family. We are judged if we judge a single mother family. A single dad raising a family? Better investigate him, he is probably molesting the kids. Right?

What I get out of it is that there will always be someone butt hurt no matter what. If there had been a black father present, no maybe the the gay community would be aggrieved because they weren't represented too. In fact I am surprised there isn't a complaint already.
I will admit that there are times that the "woke crowd" is annoying as can be. One of the reasons I don't identify with the far left or the far right. I take things case by case. This particular case just looked very suspicious to me. I don't agree with the "I don't need a man" mantra from the "woke" types.

Funny you mention single mothers. I do agree that talking about how a single mother became a single mother is pretty much forbidden. There are a few people that know me, who suggested I date a woman who has a child. I'd prefer not to, but I also understand I might get judged for that too.

It also depends on who is doing the judging. I notice on CD, the kind of judgment that gets passed on single mothers does have a political role to play. I'll save that argument for another time.

At the end of the day, there are just things that don't look right in this case. I don't know why the Black family was photographed with no father while the other families were. I have my suspicions though.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:09 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I am absolutely outraged. I am literally shaking and inconsolable. I will never buy a burt's bees product ever again.
I am absolutely outraged by your fake outrage. I am blocking you and will never read any of your posts again. Not only that, I will do the same to everyone who disagrees with me. Now I’m going to loot some stores and throw bricks through windows.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:10 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Green_Mariner has anything but a victim mentality. I disagree often with them, but they always post in a respectful manner, never resort to personal attacks nor do they play the victim card. I disagree with Green fairly often but never because they are playing the victim card.
We disagree on many things. That is true. At the end of the day, there are things I get passionate about, and some things I get suspicious about. I don't come here seeking to insult anyone. One thing about you too, we can disagree on some issues, and there is still respect there.

Now, I got a bit heated on this Burts Bees issue. My point was this. There are many cases where the "woke" can get on alot of nerves. In this case, when I look at the photos, I can understand where some of the outrage comes from. Now, my father buys Burts Bees products. It would be interesting to see where he comes from. There are times my father and me might disagree because of generation gaps (he grew up in the 1960s/early 1970s, I grew up in the late 1990s/early 2000s).

Old 11-26-2020, 12:22 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Aren't 70% of black children born to single mothers? Why would advertising be oriented to represent the demographics of the market?

Old 11-26-2020, 12:54 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I just did some research about this. Several years ago Macy’s did an ad campaign that showed different families. The only single parent family shown was a black woman with her kids. But this instance is not that. Those four photos are not a BB ad campaign. They were hand picked by a Twitter user who chose four photos out of the dozen or more they have on their website. One was a single white mother, but the Twitter user did not select that one to be shown.
So the twit distorted the truth in order to fabricate an unnecessary and unjustified controversy? Seems pretty common these days in certain circles.

Old 11-26-2020, 01:57 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Of course it is a victim mentality, conveniently overlooked (another poster):

"A Twitter user selected those four photos to show that 3 out of 4 included a man as long as the people weren’t black...and the one family that most people would perceive as black is missing the man. But as I said, if you look on their site, there definitely is a white single mom, but the Twitter user chose not to show this."

Stated a few times, yet ignored because that would derail being a victim. Also, it is a fact that a single mother does represent blacks more so than married, and the Smithsonian itself put out the nuclear family is a white culture thing, yet Green cannot accept this, and plays victim to something that is in fact the norm, even calls the norm a stereotype when in fact it is not. Additionally, Green acts like being a single mom is some sort of horrible thing now.

Also, like many others, Green says it is a "black community" when something bad happens, like a cop shoots a black person, but then "everyone is an individual" when a black person does something, picking and choosing when to be a community and when not to be.

Yes, that is a victim all the way.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is not a stereotype though. Just because you do not like something does not mean it is automatically a stereotype.

All in all, it is a proper representation of a typical black family, a family that makes up the majority of black families. Is that wrong?
First off, the word stereotype in and of itself isnt a negative. A stereotype, by its official definition is -a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing. So yes, it is a stereotype.

Now, what makes you wrong is that most black kids still grow up with 2 parents.

OOC birth rates literally only details if the parents are married at the time of birth, not anything else. They could literally get married the day after the child is born, and still be an OOC birth. Both parents could be unmarried living in the same home and still be considered OOC .

Old 11-26-2020, 10:28 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Why? For decades the cultural left has been working diligently to destigmatize single-parent families and telling us that favoring the intact nuclear family is not only outdated Victorian moralism but may even a tool for perpetuating white supremacy. So I hope you can forgive those of us who aren't at all moved by the latest demand from the Outrage Brigadeâ„¢ that we clear off the fainting couch for them.
You can destigmatize single parent families without stereotyping black families.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:51 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You can destigmatize single parent families without stereotyping black families.
And that way, The Outrage Brigadeâ„¢ conveniently gets to resurrect the stigma just for the brief moment it takes to lecture us about the negative stereotype they're resurrecting.

They can go kick boulders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies