Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 06:01 PM

20,756 posts, read 9,378,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'll ask the same ? as a similar thread - at what point does a POTUS-elect get credit? Election Day, or Inauguration Day?
I have had Trump fans here brag at me about how stupendous the stock market rise was the day after the 2016 election. That should give you an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 06:03 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,652,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Trump stated that the DOW would go down if Biden is elected.

What happened ?

The DOW hit 30000 under Trump is what happened.
Biden has not been elected. The electorate doesn't vote til Dec14. 3 U.S. Code § 7

Old 11-25-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I have had Trump fans here brag at me about how stupendous the stock market rise was the day after the 2016 election. That should give you an idea.
Though undoubtedly there are others, I was thinking particularly of one particular poster:
//www.city-data.com/forum/56952074-post5.html
Quote:
The market reacts to elections so that by the time Presidents are inaugurated, the market has already adjusted to its expectations of that President...

for example, the market had its single biggest decline on the day after a Presidential election the day after obama was elected in 2008 and continued to crash until obama's inauguration. Those huge losses of the market fell under Bush Presidency but were caused by Obama's election.

The biggest uptick on the day after a Presidential election was the day after Trump was elected and the market continued a gigantic uptick until Trump was inaugurated so the bump occurred under Obama so he take s the credit but the reason the market jumped was the election of Trump.
Do you blame Trump for the coming recession?
Quote:
My opinion is based on logic and evaluating facts, not emotional childish outbursts as Democrats do. The greatest market jump the day after a Presidential election was the day after Trump and Republicans were elected in 2016 and the greatest drop is the day after Obama and Dims were elected in 2008.
Stock market to date: +23.2% Trump, +41.1% Obama
Dems win House; Stock Market tanks!

Old 11-25-2020, 06:11 PM

1,253 posts, read 499,571 times
The DOW topped out for Obama at +6,916.42 above Bush's high. The DOW, so far, for Trump has topped out at +10,071.62 above Obama's high.

In other words folks, the stock market could not care less who is POTUS. What the market likes is easy money (low rates), political gridlock and in the case recently and going forward through next year, VACCINES. Vaccines are the goose that laid the golden egg, as life will get back to normal.

People can try to spin the stock market to fit their wishful thinking, but I deal in reality. The stock market is my career and I do very well at my career.

BTW - Most novices don't even realize the DOW is only 30 stocks, not much of the market at all. There are around 2,800 public companies, but only 30 in the DOW.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:13 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,175,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Thank you, President-Elect Biden!

I actually think a president's impact on the stock market is minimal. But I've been reading for four years that trump is responsible for the greatest stock market EVAH, so I had to post.

The market does like the fact that the transition has begun. and our new administration will provide vastly more stability.
Lmao Biden has nothing to do with it, it’s all President Trump. Thank You president Trump for the best Dow ever. We know it,will go down under the democrats..but thank you for what you did!

Old 11-25-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Lmao Biden has nothing to do with it, it’s all President Trump. Thank You president Trump for the best Dow ever. We know it,will go down under the democrats..but thank you for what you did!
I am sorry to inform you, but there are Trump fans here who were telling us that stock market performance after the election is based on who was just elected, not who is currently in office. See post above.

Going by that standard - which again, was espoused by Trump fans - the current stock market rally is because of Biden, not Trump. Again, that is the standard that Trump fans themselves have been telling everyone the last 4 years.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:21 PM

Here are 4 more threads I found in which Trump fans bragged after the 2016 election, but before Trump took office, that the rise in the stock market was due to Trump's election:

11-10-2016:
Trump stock market rally continues; Dow hits new high
11-10-2016:
Stock market hits record high after Trump victory
11-22-2016:
Why has the stock market shot up since Trump was elected instead of crashing like predicted?
12-21-2016:
TRUMP STOCK MARKET RALLY CONTINUES – Still Historic and Still YUGE!

So please, Trump fans, don't be hypocrites and tell us that the rise in the stock market after Trump's election was due to Trump's election, but that the rise in the stock market after Biden's election wasn't due to Biden's election.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:27 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,776,834 times
So when Trump won in 2016 and the market shot up.......he got no credit from y'all.....none.

Now Biden is President-Elect and the market goes up a little and he gets the credit.....? Do you realize what hypocritical means? Do you realize that you embody this concept?

They need something stronger than a head-smack for you guys, sheeeesh.....

Old 11-25-2020, 06:36 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,906,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I am sorry to inform you, but there are Trump fans here who were telling us that stock market performance after the election is based on who was just elected, not who is currently in office. See post above.

Going by that standard - which again, was espoused by Trump fans - the current stock market rally is because of Biden, not Trump. Again, that is the standard that Trump fans themselves have been telling everyone the last 4 years.
So whomever gets elected in 2020 is the one who gets credit according to Trump supporters ?

Old 11-25-2020, 06:44 PM

1,253 posts, read 499,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
The market will almost certainly go down at some point under Harris/Biden, but will almost certainly end up quite a bit higher than now at some point during their term in office. We cannot pick a singular point in time, as there are too many variables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies