Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 06:20 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,683,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There's a pretty big precedent for this with yellow fever vaccinations. Plenty of countries require them for all people entering the country or people who have been in a country where yellow fever is present in the past year. Get the jabs, tuck your 'covid card' into your passport next to your yellow fever card and show it when boarding an international flight. (It is going to be displayed as a requirement for entry to most countries in TIMATIC* and no entry level airline employee will override what it says in TIMATIC because that can lead to getting fired)

I also suspect that the covid card is going to be harder to forge than a yellow fever card is.

*TIMATIC is the database all airlines use to check a passenger's entry eligibility and documents into a foreign country. If you're curious about it, United has a public access point here.

https://www.united.com/en/us/timatic?i=TIMATIC&POS=US
Yep. People are acting as though this is unprecedented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2020, 07:02 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,276,356 times
This is an unnecessary overstep by Qantas. If they simply sat back and waited almost all countries will instill this rule for entry by Spring or Summer 2021. All this does is make them and other carriers look bad who now inevitably have to follow. Again, not much point in going further since countries will require this anyway but this will tank any recovery the airline or tourism industry hoped for since maybe 50% of the population will get the vaccine at best

Old 11-24-2020, 07:36 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,354,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There's a pretty big precedent for this with yellow fever vaccinations. Plenty of countries require them for all people entering the country or people who have been in a country where yellow fever is present in the past year. Get the jabs, tuck your 'covid card' into your passport next to your yellow fever card and show it when boarding an international flight. (It is going to be displayed as a requirement for entry to most countries in TIMATIC* and no entry level airline employee will override what it says in TIMATIC because that can lead to getting fired)

I also suspect that the covid card is going to be harder to forge than a yellow fever card is.

*TIMATIC is the database all airlines use to check a passenger's entry eligibility and documents into a foreign country. If you're curious about it, United has a public access point here.

https://www.united.com/en/us/timatic?i=TIMATIC&POS=US
That is the country requiring it, not a specific company. Two different things.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:37 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,354,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Yep. People are acting as though this is unprecedented.
It is, I asked for an example where a company requires customers to have a specific vaccination, no one has given an example yet. The poster you responded to, it is not a company requiring it, it is a country.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:46 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,276,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
That is the country requiring it, not a specific company. Two different things.

See my above post which addresses exactly this. Countries will do this, why Qantas decided to prematurely jump the gun is just stupid. I used to work for Qantas and former co-workers told me today the policy likely won't start til late summer (northern hemisphere summer) 2021 anyway so it makes it the move even more ridiculous since by then all countries will require it.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:47 PM

30,463 posts, read 17,902,378 times
I think they may go back on this if enough people don't vaccinate. Note, I hope that everyone does vaccinate, but the polls so far on the matter aren't encouraging.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:49 PM

4,941 posts, read 2,189,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
There is virtually no Covid here and we’d like to keep it that way. Signed, Australia
I don't blame you. In a country of 25M people... I'd recommend keeping that way or you may wish you had your guns back.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:50 PM

16,237 posts, read 5,822,593 times
Shrug, where I live they require proof that you have been screened for Covid before flying. The certification can not be more than 72 hours old. You enter the country you then have a 2 week quarantine, that you pay for. $2000. You will be tested every day.

Qantas isn't over reaching they may be premature, but they are being reasonably safe.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:55 PM

3,797 posts, read 4,641,504 times
I would just be surprised if our main airliners in the US do this. Seems like it could be more costly. (for domestic flights that is)

First off you're dealing with a virus that for 99% of the population is similar to the flu or even less. Yes, it's real. I'm not saying it's fake virus so stop rushing to your keyboard right now to counter what I'm about to say.

There are many people in this country who do not want to take something that is pushed through this fast. Many of these people are probably frequent fliers. The airlines can't afford IMO to lose passengers for something like this. They will realize that by implementing this type of policy they will probably lose X millions of dollars a week.

Because guess what. I would be willing to say that a great % of people who are pro vaccine are not the ones doing a lot of traveling.

And before anybody wants to chime in & say "well just because you're one of the 99% people recover doesn't mean you won't have long term effects". The media loves to keep bringing this up because they know that with a survival rate that high you need to still be able to put fear into people so why not say "but if you survive you might..."

Old 11-24-2020, 07:56 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,683,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think they may go back on this if enough people don't vaccinate. Note, I hope that everyone does vaccinate, but the polls so far on the matter aren't encouraging.
I don't think so. If you want to go to a country requiring yellow fever vaccination, then you either get the vaccine or you do not go. They don't care about your personal feelings on the matter (though medical exemptions are available). It will be the same with this. I suspect that the people who are well-traveled and who will be flying internationally are largely overlapped with the people who will get the vaccine, anyway, for a variety of reasons. I really don't think this will have a large impact on the airline's bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies