Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 01:28 PM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

Do you think it will ever be more than 12 weeks? I know that Canada, Australia and parts of Europe everyone gets a year off some even more. I have two kids and with each of them I got 12 weeks. I've heard it can vary and some places only give 6-8 weeks, but then some of the better companies give 6 months. I personally think paid leave should be 6 months for everyone. I think a year seems like kind of a long time to be gone from the workplace and then just expect to come back and displace a temp and get up to speed again. It just doesn't seem practical to have people taking leaves for a year, coming back (or not), then having another kid be gone for year again.

It's kind of unfair that some people dont NEED to go back to work if they have a highly paid spouse, but it is what it is.

thoughts?

Old 11-24-2020, 01:41 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,353,616 times
Why should taxpayers, business owners and corporations pay for your childbearing decisions? It's your right to have children but don't pass the costs of that decision to me.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:43 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Why should taxpayers, business owners and corporations pay for your childbearing decisions? It's your right to have children but don't pass the costs of that decision to me.
To answer the thread:
https://youtu.be/VYOjWnS4cMY

Old 11-24-2020, 01:49 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
This.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:55 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Do you think it will ever be more than 12 weeks? I know that Canada, Australia and parts of Europe everyone gets a year off some even more. I have two kids and with each of them I got 12 weeks. I've heard it can vary and some places only give 6-8 weeks, but then some of the better companies give 6 months. I personally think paid leave should be 6 months for everyone. I think a year seems like kind of a long time to be gone from the workplace and then just expect to come back and displace a temp and get up to speed again. It just doesn't seem practical to have people taking leaves for a year, coming back (or not), then having another kid be gone for year again.

It's kind of unfair that some people dont NEED to go back to work if they have a highly paid spouse, but it is what it is.

thoughts?
No 6 weeks is plenty it’s up to you to plan save vacation, etc. I worked and I didn’t get 6 weeks back then.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:56 PM

Default re

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with this which is why I dont think maternity leave in the US should be a year the way others so desire.

I'm not sure how companies in other countries manage really on that kind of cycle.

I actually would have taken unpaid leave for a month or so but that's can't even be done it seems. Overall i guess people need to make better arrangements if they want to have kids. In a way I wouldnt mind if it were possible to survive on one income in this country the way it once was. Of course women should have the option to do whatever they want but it does seem like having a family has become more difficult these days.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:58 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
No 6 weeks is plenty it’s up to you to plan save vacation, etc. I worked and I didn’t get 6 weeks back then.
Some companies won't hold someone's position if they choose to take more time than the 12 weeks-even unpaid.

I guess this topic kind of reminds of the debt forgiveness loan situation. People want others to be responsible for their choices.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:59 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
My employer has been 16 weeks for a long time and has extended paternity leave to 16 weeks now as well all fully paid. I have no problem with it, nerving having kids and 99% chance I won’t. It’s an overall positive for morale and attracting employees and I believe is better for society overall

Old 11-24-2020, 02:01 PM

1,265 posts, read 444,746 times
Quote:
Rights were granted for maternity leave agree or disagree with it. Now with that said no more than 12 weeks of leave should be given in my opinion. All leave must be used vacation, sick, comp before going into a negative leave status. This should not count the 5 granted sick family days. Just my 2 cents

Old 11-24-2020, 02:04 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Do you have the same thoughts on income tax deductions/credits like mortgage interest, state and local taxes, high medical bills, max taxation of SS being 85% of that income? Curious as to where the line is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies