Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 09:24 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Yeah that would be what 10%, at most?

When I hear rural Americans I am not thinking city dwellers in small cities. I am thinking Americans in the sticks. The town closest to me had a population of 800. Every yard had a garden. Hunting is a norm as is fishing. If you are hungry in that town you are doing it to yourself.

Next 4 towns are the same. Farmers market in the summer, everyone loads up to can or freeze what they didn't grow themselves.

One thing for sure, no way is it 1 in 6 rural Americans go hungry.
You might want to google hunger in rural America you’ll see not all is as well as in your corner of the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 09:27 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
You might want to google hunger in rural America you’ll see not all is as well as in your corner of the world
Like I say then it is self inflicted. Drugs, alcohol or both. For those types we really do need to let Darwin have the win. You can't save ignorant people from themselves and they just like to make more of themselves. I know some Necks from West VA and Kentucky. They are proud to be ignorant.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So long as there is funds to contribute to these causes, then people can contribute. I am not greedy, I do give to the needy, this year is just tougher because I made less this year.
This year has been hard for most. Some are more fortunate than others though. I think your priority right now should be looking out for your family and your needs.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
This year has been hard for most. Some are more fortunate than others though. I think your priority right now should be looking out for your family and your needs.
Where I live there are racks outside of the stores for those who can't pay. Patrons buy extra and stock the racks.

It seldom gets abused because it is on video and absolutely it will make the news. The abusers will be publicly shamed.

We always and I do mean always buy a little extra for the rack.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:41 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Like I say then it is self inflicted. Drugs, alcohol or both. For those types we really do need to let Darwin have the win. You can't save ignorant people from themselves and they just like to make more of themselves. I know some Necks from West VA and Kentucky. They are proud to be ignorant.
No not all self inflicted. Many single moms working several jobs still don’t have enough to feed their kids. Covid shut down our economy and thousands are without work for months have no food. You’ve seen the food lines I’m sure. That isn’t self inflicted

Old 12-01-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
No not all self inflicted. Many single moms working several jobs still don’t have enough to feed their kids. Covid shut down our economy and thousands are without work for months have no food. You’ve seen the food lines I’m sure. That isn’t self inflicted
No food lines where I used to live. Those folks have gardens.

No food lines in the country I live in now either. At least not in my province which is a farming Province. These folks are even more independent than rural Americans. Then again this country has never depended upon safety nets like welfare. In other threads I have said before and I will in this one. I see more people begging in DC or NYC in 1 day than I have in this country in the 35+ years that I have been coming here. It isn't a utopia, far from it. People here just find a way to make it.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:32 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Yeah that would be what 10%, at most?

When I hear rural Americans I am not thinking city dwellers in small cities. I am thinking Americans in the sticks. The town closest to me had a population of 800. Every yard had a garden. Hunting is a norm as is fishing. If you are hungry in that town you are doing it to yourself.

Next 4 towns are the same. Farmers market in the summer, everyone loads up to can or freeze what they didn't grow themselves.

One thing for sure, no way is it 1 in 6 rural Americans go hungry.
I agree. The closest town to me is about 2500, the next 11K with lots of rural land and communities around.
For those that dont garden or can and are facing hard times there are food stamps and lots of food banks.
No one is going hungry unless they are dumb. And if your going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:37 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The schools here are doing the same in terms of pick up locations for food (no drop off) The issue is that many can’t get to the pick up location.
I found out last night working concessions at the game that my counties schools are actually using the school buses and distributing meals for the kids at their usual stops when there is no in school classes. Pretty awesome.

Old 12-04-2020, 01:22 PM

68 posts, read 43,842 times
The 'food insecurity' hoax

Promoting hunger scam is how federal bean counters keep their jobs

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...e-hunger-hoax/

Old 12-04-2020, 02:19 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Wait. So you have never been on SNAP, homeless, living off 700/month disability check, etc. but your qualified to gives shopping and nutrition advice to those who have experienced such.

Maybe try that for about 6 months then come back and grace us with your wisdom.

Yes people can not starve on very little, and I do not believe anyone is going to starve or even go hungry but far be it from me to tell people eligible for SNAP what or how to eat.
I've been broke, hungry and didn't know when my next meal was coming. And at times didn't know on the 23rd of the month how I would make rent on the 1st.

As a result I scrambled to sell things, do odd jobs, and found a way to survive until I could thrive.

What I haven't been is dependent on SNAP, Section 8 or other benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies