Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 02:42 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I agree with you. It's sort of like how they do drunk driving deaths.

Falling asleep at the wheel deaths are counted as drunk driving deaths. Just because your BAC was .40 doesn't mean driving drunk caused the accident.

People who have double vision while driving are also many times counted as drunk driving deaths.

People who have wrecks while attempting to pee in a cup are usually counted as drunk driving deaths as opposed to "peeing in a cup" deaths.

In fact, I bet lot of COVID deaths are counted as drunk driving deaths. You get tested positive for COVID and you have a couple of drinks and you wreck and kill somebody. Mark it down. They will count it as a drunk driving death and you will probably lose your license.
300,000 more people have died this year than in each of the last 5 years. Sure eventually everyone will die of something but its cutting lives short. And caused millions who survive it to have horrible long term effects. To split hairs over whether a few cases here and their were incorrectly counted does not change that or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 02:44 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
I saw that bolded part on first reading, but you have to put it in the title. If you don't you're implying that the quoted title is your belief.

Here's an example: a national news source runs an article with this headline, "People who drive Fords deserve to die," but then in the article they say "Nah, we don't really mean it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnsota View Post
I believe you are incorrect. The title is the title of the article I wanted to talk about. I made it exceedingly clear to understand in my post that I completely disagreed with said article. I think you were just ready to go off about it and you jumped the gun with your response. It happens. All's good.
Sure.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:48 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Sorry; you did say "I completely disagree with that". I misunderstood your point.
Thanks Leo. Great post. We need more of this around here and less rabid partisanship. We ALL make mistakes reading peoples posts and we all make statements that can be take a different way than intended.

+1 for Leo. Post of the week.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
Why do I need to prove anything? This is a message board. I'm not getting paid. I am stating I don't believe the death count is valid. And therefore, I'm not gonna take this crap seriously.
Thats a fair point. Frankly nobody should take a post seriously unless they back it up with reasonable facts and numbers and include links.

That poster and everyone else should have just ignored you. Well played.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
300,000 more people have died this year than in each of the last 5 years. Sure eventually everyone will die of something but its cutting lives short. And caused millions who survive it to have horrible long term effects. To split hairs over whether a few cases here and their were incorrectly counted does not change that or anything.
Largely, it accelerated deaths by *typically* a year or three but in some cases perhaps more than a decade or more. I'm being clinical here, not saying that's comforting news.

But irrefutably, Covid did that. (to people claiming otherwise)

Just seems like some rampant partisan dishonesty about the whole situation and I'm just laying out the fact that people had their lives cut short by covid. Some of that was a mercy, other not so much.

ON THE FLIP SIDE

How many more suicides, drug overdoses, robberies etc. will occur due to the shutdowns?

Again, clinical.

How many 30 year olds with decades ahead of them etc?

I mention this out of fairness because that's not being measured.

We also don't know about long-term covid effects to health so there is that consideration too.

Just asking people to be aware that everyones situation isn't like yours and to be respectful to others if you want the same in return.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No link to horrible long term effects considering a disease we've known about for less than a year.

Is that really a positive contribution to any discussion?

Old 11-25-2020, 08:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnsota View Post
COVID-19 Had No Impact on US Death Rate So Far in 2020 so says this article. The article determines this means the virus is a hoax. I completely disagree with that, however it would be nice if we did a deep dive into the numbers and how causes of death have been determined. I guess history may look different than the present. Time will tell.

The CDC website says the average US death totals since 2015 from all causes has remained unchanged so far in 2020.
LOL -- I got out of that site before the bugs got me....creepy.

Over simplistic analysis of the death rate.

Social distancing, school closures, forced plant closures from illness, etc...means that things like deaths from mass shootings, traffic accidents, work accidents, etc....are drastically impacted.

Basically what you are posting is that because of COVID we have fewer traffic accidents....so you would rather have COVID spreading?

Find some kind of analysis that factors in the reduced deaths from traffic accidents, work accidents, mass shootings, etc....and get back to us.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

Social distancing, school closures, forced plant closures from illness, etc...means that things like deaths from mass shootings, traffic accidents, work accidents, etc....are drastically impacted.

Basically what you are posting is that because of COVID we have fewer traffic accidents....so you would rather have COVID spreading?

Find some kind of analysis that factors in the reduced deaths from traffic accidents, work accidents, mass shootings, etc....and get back to us.
The article was from May as well.

Anyone with a Google machine can read the numerous studies as well as the direct stats from the CDC showing how overall deaths are way up indicating Covid deaths are actually under-counted.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:19 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No link to horrible long term effects considering a disease we've known about for less than a year.

Is that really a positive contribution to any discussion?
Well its out there. Here are a couple links:

Mayo Clinic: COVID-19 (coronavirus): Long-term effects

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20490351

COVID-19 symptoms can sometimes persist for months. The virus can damage the lungs, heart and brain, which increases the risk of long-term health problems.

CDC: Long-Term Effects of COVID-19

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...m-effects.html

While most persons with COVID-19 recover and return to normal health, some patients can have symptoms that can last for weeks or even months after recovery from acute illness. Even people who are not hospitalized and who have mild illness can experience persistent or late symptoms.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:43 AM

1,253 posts, read 502,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

I think those are valid points. I think the other poster discussing a multi-year study will iron some of this out. We certainly can't go by just this year and can't go by what is labeled as Covid deaths as if all Covid labeled deaths are equal. There are so may other issues that can be related directly or indirectly, including short term and long term effect.

I really hope the data folks use this to learn pre and post Covid, rather than putting 2020 into the rearview mirror once we all take Trump's Covid vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies