Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 07:25 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
In a normal year in the US, 2.8 million people die each year. That equates to 7,700 people per day on average die in the US, every single day, 365 days a year.

On the CDC website, they state that the average age of Covid death is 76.9 years old. Co-morbidities are 2.6 on average, with the main three being obesity, diabetes, and respiratory ailments.

Are we absolutely sure that people are dying of Covid as opposed to with Covid? Because I’m not convinced of that at all.

Now I have read reports that the death figures have gone up overall in 2020, but I’m not convinced at all about that either. Even if it were true, couldn’t that be equated to the uptick of murders, suicides, drug overdoses, people unable to get routine care such as chemo or other life saving care?

I just have a hard time believing the Covid narrative that Fauci and others keep trying to sell me.

I suspect that most people who have died were actually quite sick and close to death already. With so many dying in nursing homes, perhaps we are actually looking at just a severe flu year and nothing really above that?

I’m open to change my mind on all of this, but I need real substance to change my mind on this. Not anecdotal cases, and certainly not MSNBC and CNN slanted ridiculousness designed to scare everyone into clickbait.
most of your post is very true. But this NOT "just the flu" in any way, shape or form beyond both being viruses.

While we should mourn each death, especially those who died with/from Covid, the reality will be the excess deaths figure. It lags by about 6 weeks. Here it is:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm. in chart form

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm. scroll down for graph form

Old 11-25-2020, 07:30 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
As with another prominent malcontent at this site (Dorian Ro) the OP cannot offer a single post without offering the impression that (1) life (adulthood) is a disappointment, (2)evil (presumably mature white) men in positions of authority are the cause of most of the problems, and (3) only those in agreement with him can do a better job (but they need access to te capital someone else worked for).

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-25-2020 at 08:10 AM..

Old 11-25-2020, 07:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Would have been worse under Biden, and with no vaccine in sight. I can’t believe that the media was successful in blaming this on Trump, and using the issue to get him out of office. You can stop peddling the lie now....you won (sorta).

Thank G-d Trump was at the helm this year, when the Chinese government unleashed their virus on the world.
Might have been worse.

Might have been better.

Might have been the same.

Only thing certain is response would have been different.

China closed the Wuhan airport and restricted ground exits on 1/23.
The US began restricting entry from all of China on 1/30.

About 400,000 people entered the US from China during the gap. The US made no effort to contract trace.

Despite the restriction, US expats, those visiting families and students from China continued to be admitted. No effort was made at contact tracing.

We all watched what was going on in Italy and other hot spots in Europe and assumed it could not happen here.
Millions arrived from hot spots in Europe in the weeks before travel was restricted. Best I can tell, no effort was made to contact trace.

We can recall the surge of inbound humanity that was subjected to being packed like sardines for hours in major US airports while a very inadequate number of CDC staffers attempted to screen them. There is no question, these processes became massive super spreader events. No effort was made to contact trace.

Had Biden been POTUS, it’s far more likely the admin would have spoken with a common voice.
Very unlikely anyone would have gone down the hydroxychloroquine rabbit hole.

More likely, the Admin would have made faster and better use of the Defense Act. Less likely, the Admin would have created a bidding war for respirators and PPE among states and FNMA and in the process bid up the price.

Would Biden have predicted Covid would go away in April, then May, then June? Who knows?

Regardless of who sat the oval, Congress would have approved massive funding to expedite vaccines.

And as we have seen, the first vaccine did not use any federal funding.

Regardless of who sat the oval, Covid was going to spread. People would resist protecting others by masking up and distancing.

No clue how a different admin would have approached travel over Thanksgiving. We have the CDC advising people to stay home. On the other hand, airports are open and carriers have added flights to accommodate passenger demand. Peak travel will occur this coming Sunday. And Covid will spread.

At some future date, there will be endless domestic and global post mortem evaluations to determine what actions were effective vs not.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
He had noted at a Thursday briefing that research was underway into the effect disinfectants have on the virus and wondered aloud if they could be injected into people. “Is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning?” Trump asked. “Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that.

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/04/26...trumps-musing/
and who knew there actually WAS research into the use of UV light inside the body for treatment of other conditions?

the media took a big step down after this briefing. The "real news" was the administrator discussing how successful they were quickly killing the virus on surfaces with various disinfectants, and virus viability on other surfaces. That was near-completely ignored in order to jump on an innocent, if ignorant, musing.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, they are dying from COVID-19. People with comorbid conditions die of other infections, too, such as bacterial pneumonia. They may have had heart disease or diabetes, but it was still the bacterial pneumonia that killed them, just like COVID-19 is killing them. No, most who died were not "close to death already", even those in nursing homes. Average life expectancy for a woman in the US at age 80 is 9.1 years and for a male 7 years. Excess deaths are being followed on a weekly basis. Not all of them are due to COVID-19 but about two thirds of them are.

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2771761
there is NO way of knowing this claim. Also, that means no way of truly knowing "on death's doorstep" without better data reporting or other information.

For example, what is the life expectancy for that 80 year old woman that does have the specific co-morbidities? You get that info, and you get your truest excess deaths figure. As it is, there's some unknown algorithm/actuarial figure that says 3MM people are expected to die annually

Old 11-25-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
There is nothing less rewarding then convincing die hard Trumpers of the truth. If you want to take risks with Covid, go right ahead. Yes, some scientists and politicians did get it wrong in March because there was so little information. However, most of them adjusted their views based on new research and data. Has Trump ever shown the ability to do this? He holds fast to one belief and tries to shape, warp or twist all evidence to fit that belief.

I'm not surprised at all the faith based anti-science crowd is having so much difficulty getting all of this. No amount of discussion on C-D is going to dislodge them from their ignorance. Now that's a fact.
interesting take.

Let's see, Trump did change from "I hope we can be open for Easter by using 15 days to Stop the Spread" to saying a week later "Sorry, we've got to put additional measures in place and be closed for Easter." He personally never said "Don't wear a mask", and in fact encouraged them - even if he should have said so earlier..

As to "faith-based anti-science crowd", maybe I've missed i, but I haven't seen a lot of "I won't catch Covid because I believe in God." ...or... "Covid only affects the non-believers". Maybe you can point these "fact" posts out to us.

I haven't even heard or read "Old people and the vulnerable shouldn't take precautions." I've seen idiots or contrarians post "hoax", and it's either because there are idiots in this world - you can find them on both sides - or I assume some folks so tired of the politicization and demonization that this is how they lash out.

Old 11-25-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Might have been worse.

Might have been better.

Might have been the same.

Only thing certain is response would have been different.

China closed the Wuhan airport and restricted ground exits on 1/23.
The US began restricting entry from all of China on 1/30.

About 400,000 people entered the US from China during the gap. The US made no effort to contract trace.

Despite the restriction, US expats, those visiting families and students from China continued to be admitted. No effort was made at contact tracing.
Quote:
The State Department is flying more U.S. citizens back from Wuhan, China, this week to protect them against the coronavirus that has been circulating there.

The passengers will be under federal quarantine for 14 days, during which scientists will check their temperatures and monitor them for breathing problems. The latest will be added to the 195 people who are already under quarantine.

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the Center for the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Disease, said in a call with reporters Monday that the federal government wouldn't have figures on how many more people will be under quarantine until later this week. Government officials are considering military bases and hotels to isolate people.

"No option is off the table, and it is very localized depending on the state and local considerations," she said.
as to Euro entries, I suppose we should have told them "not for 10 days until we get enough screening in place."

Old 11-25-2020, 03:35 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Like nearly everything else over the past four years he would talk the talk for one minute and then move onto the next topic that way never having to take ownership of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
interesting take.

Let's see, Trump did change from "I hope we can be open for Easter by using 15 days to Stop the Spread" to saying a week later "Sorry, we've got to put additional measures in place and be closed for Easter." He personally never said "Don't wear a mask", and in fact encouraged them - even if he should have said so earlier..

As to "faith-based anti-science crowd", maybe I've missed i, but I haven't seen a lot of "I won't catch Covid because I believe in God." ...or... "Covid only affects the non-believers". Maybe you can point these "fact" posts out to us.

I haven't even heard or read "Old people and the vulnerable shouldn't take precautions." I've seen idiots or contrarians post "hoax", and it's either because there are idiots in this world - you can find them on both sides - or I assume some folks so tired of the politicization and demonization that this is how they lash out.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:39 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
If there’s anyone who’s an expert on pandemics, it’s a computer engineer.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:46 PM

1,969 posts, read 543,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
Just to remind you, he did say you could possibly inject yourself with bleach.
and i wonder how many fools didnt get the joke...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies