Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 05:42 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Did you read the article?

The GOP didn't flip anything, they won back 4 seats that are traditionally Republicans.

Those 4 seats flipping to Democrats in 2018 WAS the surprise. The Republicans taking them back in 2020 is no surprise, not any more than the Republicans taking back the Senate seat in Alabama.

We dont care as long as we get the seats! Come on man be happy for the republicans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 05:45 AM

1,601 posts, read 866,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop...ny-other-state

Maybe they are waking up and voting for the GOP..because California has been thru alot

I read an interesting article about this a day or two ago, that basically said that Republicans in CA went full throttle into ballot harvesting, and while still staunchly disagreeing with it, had to avail themselves of it to win. Two can play and all that...

Ballot harvesting is the pretty much the sole reason that those Republican seats were lost in 2018. I clearly remember Republicans being well ahead on election night and over the next two weeks losing seat after seat. Glad to see some fight in the CA GOP.

EVERY seat must be contested, EVERY time with great candidates. That's how you win over time, and that's how the Republicans won everything but the presidency this time.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:54 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I have fond memories of CA in the mid-1960s, such a beautiful place. You couldn’t pay me to live there now.
There are people who take that literally.
I drove an 18 wheeler for a while. There are plenty of truckers who simply will not go to California. They will go to NYC, Boston, etc., but not California. Fuel is too expensive, state requirements too strict, speed limit too slow. They just won't take a load going there.

My daughter was born in San Diego, 1971. It was a wonderful place then...

Old 11-25-2020, 07:18 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There are people who take that literally.
I drove an 18 wheeler for a while. There are plenty of truckers who simply will not go to California. They will go to NYC, Boston, etc., but not California. Fuel is too expensive, state requirements too strict, speed limit too slow. They just won't take a load going there.

My daughter was born in San Diego, 1971. It was a wonderful place then...
Similar stories here. I deal with contractors. Many will not work in 2 states. CA and NY. I know one IN Orange County New York state that stopped doing work in NY then moved across the border into NJ. Yes... NJ with the crazy costs, permits, and corrupt building/code departments. I read somewhere where CA is trying to end around to make people from other states who used to do business in CA still have CA obligations after leaving. (Cannot find the links atm)

Old 11-25-2020, 12:04 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
We dont care as long as we get the seats! Come on man be happy for the republicans!

California being a blue state is the result of the Republicans abandoning the center. CA is a state with mostly moderates and they know it, but the GOP just cannot for the life of them embrace reasonable centrist government. So the Democrat moderates is filling the void and the state is 90% blue. But when you dissect the Democrats, it's really about 30% progressive and the rest is moderates/liberals. The Republicans in CA is NOT fighting the Democrats for the center, they are off in their own radical right-wing space screaming conspiracy theories to the wind.

The sad thing is, even most life-long CA Republican politicians don't know this. They think all CA Democrats are John Avalos-esque followers - they're as clueless about the CA makeup as someone from Alabama.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:11 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I have fond memories of CA in the mid-1960s, such a beautiful place. You couldn’t pay me to live there now.
California doesn't miss you, trust me.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:20 PM

21,927 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Thrilled to see this happening. I live in California, and, yes, we've suffered under the Dems. I'd like to see CA red again.
I would, too. My husband and I would like to retire there but I am not coming there under the current governance.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:41 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times
Quote:

The GOP didn't flip anything, they won back 4 seats that are traditionally Republicans.

Those 4 seats flipping to Democrats in 2018 WAS the surprise. The Republicans taking them back in 2020 is no surprise, not any more than the Republicans taking back the Senate seat in Alabama.

Sore loser huh we won the seats !!! Pelosi thought they would keep them well they didn’t lmao

Old 11-25-2020, 05:43 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
EVERY seat must be contested, EVERY time with great candidates. That's how you win over time, and that's how the Republicans won everything but the presidency this time.
Losing Senate seats is winning? Uhmm...ok. Carry on.

Old 11-25-2020, 07:08 PM

1,253 posts, read 502,712 times
Quote:

So they will flip them back, if all works out? If they flip them back, then they flipped them because the didn't have them at the time of the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies