Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 09:33 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You'd have to be a short-sighted idiot to not want to do what we can to mitigate pollution, even for ourselves and our children. I've spent the last seven years in China, for better or worse, and on a bad day in Guangzhou before the economy here went to crap after COVID, I couldn't see a mile from the 29th floor where I live. Streams in my wife's hometown that used to be full of edible fish are used for dumping trash and waste. You want that in the US again?
We don't have that in the US. We have lowered emissions more than any other major country in the world.

China keeps increasing far more than we decrease. What we do is irrelevant.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:34 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Big energy propaganda. If we all sacrificed just a little we could save mother earth. If everyone did their part by not using bags of any sort. compost at home to reduce carbon footprint. ride a bike or walk for short trips. Get a Tesla because it doesn't use fossil fuels. Keep your thermostat on 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer. If people were compelled to do this by law our environment would be in really good shape.
What do you think that Tesla is made of? Lots of plastic. That comes from fossil fuels.

Just like your cell phone. Your computer.

And where do you think the energy comes from that powers all your electronics?

Old 11-25-2020, 09:35 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Global temperatures will continue to rise for another 400 years. So stop it with the sky is falling nonsense if we don’t do something now to stop global warming. It’s “BS” !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFv6NQaSers
There is no point in telling this to the progressives. They firmly believe they can control the entire universe.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:29 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Big energy propaganda. If we all sacrificed just a little we could save mother earth. If everyone did their part by not using bags of any sort. compost at home to reduce carbon footprint. ride a bike or walk for short trips. Get a Tesla because it doesn't use fossil fuels. Keep your thermostat on 60 in the winter and 80 in the summer. If people were compelled to do this by law our environment would be in really good shape.
Stop jetting all over the world and extolling the virtues of visiting 40 countries. Actually make real changes in your own life instead of trying to force the government to change everybody's. Be the change you wish to see in others.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:50 AM

7,356 posts, read 3,527,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Stop jetting all over the world and extolling the virtues of visiting 40 countries. Actually make real changes in your own life instead of trying to force the government to change everybody's. Be the change you wish to see in others.
Our founding fathers as imperfect as they were failed to see the existential threat that climate change has on our very planet. It is because of this that there needs to be a new deal in regards to writing an environmental contract. this will be the only way that humanity will ever be able to survive on this planet. In about 20 years America will be cut in half due to the rising ocean levels. By then it will be too late to do anything about it. We have to change, and the change must be forced otherwise there will be no one left.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:23 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Our founding fathers as imperfect as they were failed to see the existential threat that climate change has on our very planet. It is because of this that there needs to be a new deal in regards to writing an environmental contract. this will be the only way that humanity will ever be able to survive on this planet. In about 20 years America will be cut in half due to the rising ocean levels. By then it will be too late to do anything about it. We have to change, and the change must be forced otherwise there will be no one left.
Sarcasm?

Old 11-25-2020, 02:36 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times
Quote:
Lol ok kiddo.

So we should nuke China and India?

Old 11-25-2020, 02:50 PM

4,427 posts, read 5,154,316 times
How about forcing China and India’s hands with trade agreements.

I’m all for the Paris agreement. The military confirmed what greenhouse gases are doing to the planet. If people want to be fossil fuel propaganda sheeple, go right ahead. I really don’t care if doing it kills jobs either. Get an IQ and replace those jobs, which would only really involve refineries in Texas and Louisiana. All the other jobs are outsourced anyway.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:51 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,367,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
How about forcing China and India’s hands with trade agreements.

I’m all for the Paris agreement. The military confirmed what greenhouse gases are doing to the planet. If people want to be fossil fuel propaganda sheeple, go right ahead. I really don’t care if doing it kills jobs either. Get an IQ and replace those jobs, which would only really involve refineries in Texas and Louisiana. All the other jobs are outsourced anyway.
You make no sense.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:58 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Global temperatures will continue to rise for another 400 years. So stop it with the sky is falling nonsense if we don’t do something now to stop global warming. It’s “BS” !!!
Believe it or not, to a great extent I actually agree. I've read many things that have pointed out that, in essence, the genie is out of the bottle and trying to put it back in is largely futile. It would take centuries, even millennia, to get CO2 levels back to, say, 1900 levels, even if we went full-out in reducing CO2 emissions.

Also, civilization itself generates waste heat., regardless of CO2 levels. You can see this in heat islands in and around cities. The heat from urban heat islands dissipates to surrounding areas and heats them up as well (albeit less than in the cities themselves).

My main interest in reducing CO2 levels is that doing so will also reduce other pollutants, which we absolutely should do, even though we've made great strides in that in recent decades. In principle, we should generate as little waste and pollution as we possibly can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies