Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Howsomever, I really hope that any confrontation/conflagration can be avoided, that the PM (what's his name?) will "see the light" and will step back from the point of no return. Shooting up Iran would be like shooting duck in a gallery at the carnival. Too bad, really, Mr. Jimma didn't have the tools to do this back in 79. But, even if he HAD had these tools, would he have used them instead of launching a failed "rescue" mission at the get-go? Nah, I doubt it.
Like you, I would hope that a military confrontation can be avoided. This said, I don't think it will be avoided.

It appears fairly clear that Iran is supplying arms to the insurgents in Iraq - even though Iran says they are not. Iran is also a training locale for terrorists that go out worldwide.

And, with Irans nuclear ambitions becoming more evident and clear, the world community has a vested interest in taking out their nuclear arms program and their ability to train and fund terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 09:04 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
it will turn out badly and get ready for $8 gas a gallon if it does happen. I guess Dubya needs to make his Oil buddies richer before he leaves office.
Do you understand that your whole future is dependent on the US gaining control of Iran?

Understand I don't care if the US burns down, falls over and sinks into a swamp, but if you're going to live in the US, it's going to be a miserable existence for you and your children and grand-children, if the US can't gain control of Iran.

Iran already sells oil and natural gas to Japan in Yen instead of US Dollars which reduces the demand for US Dollars and weakens it against the Euro. China and Iran have reached an agreement to sell oil and natural gas in Yuan/Renmibi, and that will probably start June 1 and you'll see the US$ decline even further.

UNOCAL (now Chevron) owns 75% of the oil, natural gas and mineral rights in the Central Asian states. Those fields are being developed, but if the oil and natural gas is sold in Euros or Rubles instead of US$, it will be a serious blow to the US economy.

If the US cannot impose its hegemony on the Central Asian states, then it cannot control the currency in which those commodities are sold, and the only way the US can exert its hegemony is to control Iran.

And no one can say it doesn't matter, because it does. If it didn't, then Iraq would still be selling its oil in Euros, but it isn't because the US is forcing Iraq to sell its oil in US$.

When I was in the XVIIIth Airborne Corps, we trained to invade Iran, well not Iran, just a small province in Iran called Khuzestan. 80% of Iran's oil is located there and it represents 4% of the world's oil. The US will easily gain control of it. Those are Arab-Iranians who live there, not Persian-Iranians. On at least 12 occasions over the last 100 years they have tried to become independent from Iran, the last two times they tried were during the 1979 "revolution" and then again during the Iraq-Iran War. They would view the US as "liberators."

The great thing is that all of the oil and natural gas in Khuzestan goes into the Syrian-Iraqi pipeline, or the Kuwaiti-Saudi pipeline, or right to the port facilities on the Persian Gulf, except for one minor natural gas pipeline that goes through the foothills of the Zagros Mountains, so you don't have to worry about gasoline being $8/gallon, but you do have to worry about keeping your job if the US doesn't invade Iran.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:20 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
We could always just invade Ecuador and Venezuela instead. Added to what we already own in Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Iraq, I would think we should have enough to get us by for a while, what with us being less than 5% of the world's population and all. Do we really have to own ALL the oil in the world in order to "make it" these days? If so, maybe we are doing it wrong...

Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,765,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
We could always just invade Ecuador and Venezuela instead. Added to what we already own in Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Iraq, I would think we should have enough to get us by for a while, what with us being less than 5% of the world's population and all. Do we really have to own ALL the oil in the world in order to "make it" these days? If so, maybe we are doing it wrong...
---
Why invade Ecuador and/or Venezuela, why not just drill in ANWAR, off the US coasts? We still need to "stay on top" of Iran because Iran doesn't give a tinker's damn about us, and would just as soon "own" us. Rue the day that happens.

And what is the "it" you are referring to?

Go USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,122 times
As long as it's after this summer, atleast I won't be the first line of draftee's....

Guess I should get an electrical vehicle of some sort, because there is no way in hell an attack on Iran won't force oil above 200 bucks a barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Actually, we sorta do own canadian oil.

A stipulation in NAFTA is that canada has to sell us their oil for market price.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
As long as it's after this summer, atleast I won't be the first line of draftee's....
---
That says a lot for your concern, yep, sure does. There ain't no draft, troll, and I sure wouldn't want you in my foxhole, on my ship, standing next to me on a flight line, anyway..

Go USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:46 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Do you understand that your whole future is dependent on the US gaining control of Iran?

Understand I don't care if the US burns down, falls over and sinks into a swamp, but if you're going to live in the US, it's going to be a miserable existence for you and your children and grand-children, if the US can't gain control of Iran.

Iran already sells oil and natural gas to Japan in Yen instead of US Dollars which reduces the demand for US Dollars and weakens it against the Euro. China and Iran have reached an agreement to sell oil and natural gas in Yuan/Renmibi, and that will probably start June 1 and you'll see the US$ decline even further.

UNOCAL (now Chevron) owns 75% of the oil, natural gas and mineral rights in the Central Asian states. Those fields are being developed, but if the oil and natural gas is sold in Euros or Rubles instead of US$, it will be a serious blow to the US economy.

If the US cannot impose its hegemony on the Central Asian states, then it cannot control the currency in which those commodities are sold, and the only way the US can exert its hegemony is to control Iran.

And no one can say it doesn't matter, because it does. If it didn't, then Iraq would still be selling its oil in Euros, but it isn't because the US is forcing Iraq to sell its oil in US$.

When I was in the XVIIIth Airborne Corps, we trained to invade Iran, well not Iran, just a small province in Iran called Khuzestan. 80% of Iran's oil is located there and it represents 4% of the world's oil. The US will easily gain control of it. Those are Arab-Iranians who live there, not Persian-Iranians. On at least 12 occasions over the last 100 years they have tried to become independent from Iran, the last two times they tried were during the 1979 "revolution" and then again during the Iraq-Iran War. They would view the US as "liberators."

The great thing is that all of the oil and natural gas in Khuzestan goes into the Syrian-Iraqi pipeline, or the Kuwaiti-Saudi pipeline, or right to the port facilities on the Persian Gulf, except for one minor natural gas pipeline that goes through the foothills of the Zagros Mountains, so you don't have to worry about gasoline being $8/gallon, but you do have to worry about keeping your job if the US doesn't invade Iran.
This is a shortsighted statement IMHO. War creates additional inflation. All this will do is bid up prices for other assorted consumer goods, creating additional social unrest domestically. America would have to militarize, open detention centers, and begin forcing its own citizens to hold onto the dollar through currency controls. This situation would make the US a very unpopular area in the world to do business. The added benefit of claiming oil fields would be more than offset by the massive collateral damage in our economic infrastructure.

Underestimating the resilience of the Iraqi terrorist insurgents is just a small example of why I believe what you say can unfold. Never underestimate the lack of wisdom in today's political leaders.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Never underestimate the lack of wisdom in today's political leaders.
---
Nor the lack of wisdom from today's armchair politicians with nothing to lose other than a seat in the computer room.

Go USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,294 times
king of like bombing cambodia back in the 70s, history is repeating itself

Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Default Iraq backs off allegations that Iran is behind violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It appears fairly clear that Iran is supplying arms to the insurgents in Iraq - even though Iran says they are not.
Here is another interesting point of view - McClatchy Washington Bureau | 05/04/2008 | Iraq backs off allegations that Iran is behind violence

Is there any end in sight??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies