Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 05:26 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
No. Johns Hopkins University did the study. They are considered an elite research university and were in fact the first university on Earth to spend more than $1 Billion in a single year on research.

You are arguing feelings and not facts.

2018 thus far at this point has had slightly more deaths than 2020 has. Many of the dead people from Covid had severe health issues and would have likely died from those severe health issues, which is why the university study points out some the severe conditions that normally kill people in bigger numbers are down.

Keep in mind that the lockdowns have also killed people.
It's not a study. An economist who works at JHU put on a webinar using CDC data. In it she interpreted data arriving at a conclusion I don't believe the data supports. The webinar is then described and the economist interviewed for a JHU student newsletter. That is what you're reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2020, 05:27 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That is not a study, that is a newsletter by an economics major, do you have an actual study that states the same from an infectious disease expert, shouldn't be hard to find one at JH if it exists. Plenty of great scientists but you chose an economics major.
one more time slowly.....

She counted numbers....added and subtracted numbers....averaged numbers...she got from the CDC's own reports

that is not "infectious disease expert" material.....that is economics material

I'm not arguing if she's right or wrong.....but I am arguing against stupid counter arguments....like "infectious disease expert" doing math

Old 11-27-2020, 05:33 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I find that hard to believe....but that's what their study says

'According to study, “in contrast to most people’s assumptions, the number of deaths by COVID-19 is not alarming. In fact, it has relatively no effect on deaths in the United States.”

"After retrieving data on the CDC website, Briand compiled a graph representing percentages of total deaths per age category from early February to early September, which includes the period from before COVID-19 was detected in the U.S. to after infection rates soared.

Surprisingly, the deaths of older people stayed the same before and after COVID-19. Since COVID-19 mainly affects the elderly, experts expected an increase in the percentage of deaths in older age groups. However, this increase is not seen from the CDC data. In fact, the percentages of deaths among all age groups remain relatively the same…"

"…When Briand looked at the 2020 data during that seasonal period, COVID-19-related deaths exceeded deaths from heart diseases. This was highly unusual since heart disease has always prevailed as the leading cause of deaths. However, when taking a closer look at the death numbers, she noted something strange. As Briand compared the number of deaths per cause during that period in 2020 to 2018, she noticed that instead of the expected drastic increase across all causes, there was a significant decrease in deaths due to heart disease. Even more surprising, as seen in the graph below, this sudden decline in deaths is observed for all other causes."

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...0-prior-years/

==================

Johns Hopkins Study Saying COVID-19 Has 'Relatively No Effect on Deaths' in U.S. Deleted After Publication

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ation-n1178930
??????

Perhaps, due to far less travel and social interactions, other deaths are declining (accidents, etc) are balancing out the Covid deaths.

Make no mistake of it, this is VERY REAL. I have seen MANY patients die of it and it is not pretty. My father is currently fighting for his life in a Covid unit. Thankfully two of my sibs and I are docs and were able to request things that the public may not be aware of. A couple of the treating docs are former partners.

Take the vaccine when available! I will be one of the first, as I am immunosuppressed from cancer and a physician, so I’ll get it in a couple weeks.

Old 11-27-2020, 05:43 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
not at all....unless you think quarantine stopped deaths from other causes

...because deaths from other causes is what went down
So people died of covid rather than murder or car accidents.

Old 11-27-2020, 05:52 PM

"When Briand looked at the 2020 data during that seasonal period, COVID-19-related deaths exceeded deaths from heart diseases. This was highly unusual since heart disease has always prevailed as the leading cause of deaths. However, when taking a closer look at the death numbers, she noted something strange. As Briand compared the number of deaths per cause during that period in 2020 to 2018, she noticed that instead of the expected drastic increase across all causes, there was a significant decrease in deaths due to heart disease. Even more surprising, as seen in the graph below, this sudden decline in deaths is observed for all other causes."

Old 11-27-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
One reason for that is the vast majority of older people who have "died of covid" were dying anyway. They likely would have been dead within a few months without covid's help. I personally witnessed two of these situations that were chalked up to covid.

That being the case, it is no surprise that when the real numbers come out and real statistics are shown, there is not a huge difference.

Granted, there are healthy, young people who for whatever reason did not have the proper immune system response to fight off the covid virus and died. But that is not all that common. This happens even with benign things like the common cold at times.

Essentially, a lot of people have gotten sick from covid and recovered, a lot of people have had covid and only minor or no symptoms, a few healthy people have truly died of covid, and a good number of people who were headed toward death anyway "died of covid." You can have any opinion on the matter you like. But the numbers do not lie, as demonstrated with this study.

I was briefly in a MS statistics grad program emphasizing medical statistics. The program required no actual medical training whatsoever other than a bit of terminology used to describe data. The statisticians gather the raw data as reported by the "medical professionals" and apply the same statistical methods that are used in any other field requiring statistics, from engineering, to science, to social science, to etc.
The CDC calculates excess deaths by looking at defined times and places. The pandemic was spreading during the period she examined, with many parts of the United States not yet impacted. That should be addressed in any analysis or at a minimum qualified. But again this was not an academic study. No need to expect rigor for a webinar that supports what essentially are her personal conclusions.

Old 11-27-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The pandemic was spreading during the period she examined, with many parts of the United States not yet impacted.
"After retrieving data on the CDC website, Briand compiled a graph representing percentages of total deaths per age category from early February to early September, which includes the period from before COVID-19 was detected in the U.S. to after infection rates soared."

7 months

Old 11-27-2020, 06:14 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
JHU retracted the newsletter and apologized for the misinformation.

Quote:
Briand was quoted in the article as saying, “All of this points to no evidence that COVID-19 created any excess deaths. Total death numbers are not above normal death numbers.” This claim is incorrect and does not take into account the spike in raw death count from all causes compared to previous years. According to the CDC, there have been almost 300,000 excess deaths due to COVID-19. Additionally, Briand presented data of total U.S. deaths in comparison to COVID-19-related deaths as a proportion percentage, which trivializes the repercussions of the pandemic. This evidence does not disprove the severity of COVID-19; an increase in excess deaths is not represented in these proportionalities because they are offered as percentages, not raw numbers.

Briand also claimed in her analysis that deaths due to heart diseases, respiratory diseases, influenza and pneumonia may be incorrectly categorized as COVID-19-related deaths. However, COVID-19 disproportionately affects those with preexisting conditions, so those with those underlying conditions are statistically more likely to be severely affected and die from the virus.

Because of these inaccuracies and our failure to provide additional information about the effects of COVID-19, The News-Letter decided to retract this article. It is our duty as a publication to combat the spread of misinformation and to enhance our fact-checking process. We apologize to our readers.

https://www.jhunewsletter.com/articl...ue-to-covid-19

Old 11-27-2020, 06:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
One reason for that is the vast majority of older people who have "died of covid" were dying anyway. They likely would have been dead within a few months without covid's help. I personally witnessed two of these situations that were chalked up to covid.

That being the case, it is no surprise that when the real numbers come out and real statistics are shown, there is not a huge difference.

Granted, there are healthy, young people who for whatever reason did not have the proper immune system response to fight off the covid virus and died. But that is not all that common. This happens even with benign things like the common cold at times.

Essentially, a lot of people have gotten sick from covid and recovered, a lot of people have had covid and only minor or no symptoms, a few healthy people have truly died of covid, and a good number of people who were headed toward death anyway "died of covid." You can have any opinion on the matter you like. But the numbers do not lie, as demonstrated with this study.
WRONG. A number of people were elderly but there have also been a decent number of younger healthier people. Yes, we have gotten better at treating the virus, I am not here to debate or begrudge that. However there are a good number of younger people with severe cases and death. I highly doubt even with those elderly that they were waiting on death's door regardless of Covid. I dont get this morbid obsession with justifying covid being a nothing burger.

Old 11-27-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
??????

Perhaps, due to far less travel and social interactions, other deaths are declining (accidents, etc) are balancing out the Covid deaths.

Make no mistake of it, this is VERY REAL. I have seen MANY patients die of it and it is not pretty. My father is currently fighting for his life in a Covid unit. Thankfully two of my sibs and I are docs and were able to request things that the public may not be aware of. A couple of the treating docs are former partners.

Take the vaccine when available! I will be one of the first, as I am immunosuppressed from cancer and a physician, so I’ll get it in a couple weeks.
The vast majority of patients who die from covid have co-morbid conditions. Some number of the elderly who ended up dying from covid may well have died from those conditions within a relatively short time period. The more who die from covid, the less the opportunity for deaths from co-morbid conditions. I don't think that it is disputable. Covid does not lead to an absolute increase in deaths over some time period.

What is disputable is what this student ??? writer said the author believes: "This suggests, according to Briand, that the COVID-19 death toll is misleading. Briand believes that deaths due to heart diseases, respiratory diseases, influenza and pneumonia may instead be recategorized as being due to COVID-19."
https://web.archive.org/web/20201126...ue-to-covid-19

At the same time it is is very likely that there is some number of excess deaths, or deaths where the longevity was substantially decreased. Restrictions that led to the decline in accidents etc. would mask those deaths among younger patients not likely to be fatally impacted by their co-morbid conditions during the time period examined.

Again this is not an academic study that would need to account for or adjust for these impacts. Had this not been picked up by various media outlets, it would an unremarkable and unremarked on webinar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies