Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 09:51 PM

316 posts, read 155,607 times

Advertisements

Forgiving student loans would take a mountain of debt off of young Americans. However, it would not solve the problem of college costs. Neither would free college solve that. Colleges would still keeping raising tuition because the taxpayers would be covering it.

Those who took loans they could not afford would largely not learn their lesson. They would believe the government will bail them out whenever they had a need so many would replace their student loans with car and home loans that they cant afford. It would likely lead to more bailouts as politicians pander to them for votes.

Forgiving student loans does not solve the economic problem of supply and demand. Neither does having taxpayers cover tuition. The truth is that we are bringing in lots immigrants to work jobs that require advanced education. Our youth should be taking almost all of those jobs but aren't because many are picking majors that have no real vocational relevance. All I see on the left is support for free college for the educational value of having liberal arts degrees but no proposals to condition any taxpayer supported education on obtaining a degree in something useful to society and the economy.

In the Democrat world, taxpayer funded tuition opens college up to more people. It does nothing to solve the dropout rates. Should a dropout be required to pay tuition to reimburse the taxpayers? Democrats want to give handouts to buy votes but they have no solutions to the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 11:12 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
Forgiving student loans would take a mountain of debt off of young Americans.
Not necessarily. The average debt is around $32,000 which is nothing more than a car loan.

Except Christen used her student loan to buy herself a car. And to buy a car for her lover (instead of buying one for her husband):

Christen currently has well over $225,000 in student loans. (Id. at 51); (Ex. 3-1 to 3-3). Christen estimated that $128,453 in student loans were directly attributable to living expenses

Christen used student loan money to purchase at least two vehicles—one of which was titled in her boyfriend's name. (Tr. at 64, 206) Christen's bank statements also evidenced financial irresponsibility. Christen spent much of her student loan money purchasing coffee from high-end coffee shops like Starbucks, Caribou, and Cup O'Joe; products and clothes from retailers; I-tunes; tanning sessions/products and massages; arts and crafts; OSU athletic tickets; and other food and entertainment. (2006 Chase Bank & Credit Card Statements, P's Ex. 7). Christen also made several ATM withdrawals for several hundred dollars at a time; it is unclear where this money was spent. (Id.). After reviewing all of the financial records, it is clear that Christen was spending more than the typical student on miscellaneous items and services, often incurring late fees for failing to keep up with her credit card bills. All of these expenses were in addition to the high living expenses that Christen incurred by choosing to live in Dublin, Ohio, an affluent suburb of Columbus.

[emphasis in original court decision]

Quote:
However, it would not solve the problem of college costs.
That much is true. One thing that would solve the problem of college costs would be limiting student loans to only those students who score 2100 or higher on the SAT or 27 or higher on the SAT.

By limiting student loans to only the smartest students, colleges would be forced to cancel all remedial classes and terminate the employment of instructors who are usually adjunct professors or "street people" who teach remedial courses.

I mean, really, if you're in college, you should not need remedial English, math and science.

Quote:
Neither would free college solve that. Colleges would still keeping raising tuition because the taxpayers would be covering it.
No country on Earth has "free college."

That is a Göbbelization.

A truthful statement is that many countries offer free college to the cream of the cream of the crop, meaning the most intelligent students based on continually scoring in top 10% on tests and exams.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:57 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
Forgiving a $250,000 loan is silly and would provide no value. Forgiving $10,000 loans would simply be a stimulus program like the others that have been passed. It's limited in scope and more controlled than handing out checks to people and corporations. It also doesn't wipe out loans for people who abused the system.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
If we really want to solve the problem, we would remove the government from the revenue stream of universities. All they do is jack up the costs with a bunch of costly overhead.

I started college in 1986, lived at home, and it was $60 per credit hour. I took 16 hours, which totaled $960 at a second tier 4 year institution. In 4.5 years, I graduated with $5000 of student loan debt from my credit union in 1990. No government involvement.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:48 AM

17,425 posts, read 14,668,729 times
I'm all for making student loans akin to mortgage loans.

To be approved for a mortgage, you need to prove your ability to pay.

Let's make that the same for school loans - base your approval on your projected salary with your intended degree.

So, let's say, nurse practitioner ... approved.

Women gender studies ... denied.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:51 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,966,007 times
Taking such a burden off young americans is good enough. High tuition costs is another issue separate from young americans being straddled with debt.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:52 AM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
It doesn't solve any problem.
It is intended to attract voters, nothing more. As people leave college and go to work they leave the Democratic party. This is an attempt to keep them.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:54 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If we really want to solve the problem, we would remove the government from the revenue stream of universities. All they do is jack up the costs with a bunch of costly overhead.

I started college in 1986, lived at home, and it was $60 per credit hour. I took 16 hours, which totaled $960 at a second tier 4 year institution. In 4.5 years, I graduated with $5000 of student loan debt from my credit union in 1990. No government involvement.

This.

Get the government out of the student loan business and watch tuitions drop like a rock.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:07 AM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
When I was selling my house a few years ago I had three young couples who wanted to buy but the banks would not give them a loan due to their student loans. They are stuck paying rent in some dingy apartment or are living with parents. There are likely millions of similar situations where the couple has a combined debt that is holding them back, especially if they graduated during the great recession or some other recession and struggled to find work. Who really benefits from the student loan mess?

Forgiving loans is a band-aid solution that will help families and the economy but it has to go with a revamping of the higher education system. Free community college would be one way to shake things up. Then add some kind of tuition/cost control on public universities. Nobody "needs" to go to Middlebury or Yale. We might need to figure out how to manage the cost for medical school or other graduate professional programs.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:08 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Taking such a burden off young americans is good enough. High tuition costs is another issue separate from young americans being straddled with debt.
Burden off the student who is indoctrinated with liberal political agenda.

Burden put on adult taxpayers - many who despise the liberal political agenda being pushed onto kids with no life experience.

The burden is just being shifted around - it doesn't go away.

Take the government out of the equation, and what would result is the burden of payment for one's education would be put on the consumer - like it is with most of normal life. And prices would be much lower.

When colleges understand that government is main the purchaser (through student loans) - they will jack up prices because the main customer has deep pockets to pay the inflated prices. Take the government out - colleges would be forced to lower prices to normal consumers who don't have deep pockets if they want to stay in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies