Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 10:35 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why make this kind of comparison? Back in those days we were sparsely populated with plentiful jobs and resources for everyone. Not so today! At least immigrants signed a book back then and those who were unhealthy were denied entry. Not so today with illegal aliens who just sneak across our border undetected without signing anything and no health checks.

Hmm, seems strange to me that a family sponsor would be a citizen or Green Card holder in our country but their family members are in Mexico, etc.? How did the family get split up that way? Who are these family members in Mexico, etc. that couldn't follow the same process as their family sponsors did?
To your first question, I'm merely pointing out that it is not so easy to legally immigrate to the US as it once was. Yes, back then we were sparsely populated and encouraged immigration.

To your second question, I can point out an example: Melania Trump's parents, Viktor and Amalija Knavs. Melania came here in 1998. She was granted resident status because of her modelling job; her parents stayed in Slovenia. Years later they immigrated to the US, and were sponsored by Melania. This is called "chain migration", something Donald Trump wants to outlaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 03:20 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
To your first question, I'm merely pointing out that it is not so easy to legally immigrate to the US as it once was. Yes, back then we were sparsely populated and encouraged immigration.

To your second question, I can point out an example: Melania Trump's parents, Viktor and Amalija Knavs. Melania came here in 1998. She was granted resident status because of her modelling job; her parents stayed in Slovenia. Years later they immigrated to the US, and were sponsored by Melania. This is called "chain migration", something Donald Trump wants to outlaw.
There was no need to point it out other than a veiled insinuation that immigration is so unfair these days. I wasn't born yesterday to not see what you were doing.

Chain migration where immigrants have family members to sponsor them who are affluent isn't the problem. Learn to know the difference. I never heard Trump say he wanted to outlaw immigrants based on the above. He was against chain migration for those who end up being a burden to our society financially.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:37 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
this is one of your more interesting takes. It doesn't fit neatly into "white guilt" or "Stockholm Syndrome" .... but "it's not the illegals fault they are here, it's our fault for not stopping them. So they can't be held responsible" is a unique stance.

It's like "Well, everybody knows Wal-mart has a policy not to chase down shoplifters. Therefore, I should be allowed to walk in, grab what I want, and walk out without paying. Heck, why does ANYONE pay at Wal-mart when they don't have to?"
That poster is as disingenuous as they come.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:06 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
That poster is as disingenuous as they come.
Says the blind who refuses to use good sense.

Of course individual border crossers or overstayers are responsible for their actions. And if caught should be instantly on their way out.

That however in no way mitigates the fact that we have allowed 11 million or more to accumulate in the US.

The illegals are responsible for their individual actions. We are responsible for establishing a structure which allows them to get away with it.

Now we are faced with the need to do something about it. Hopefully Biden will lead actions that start to correct the problem.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
this is one of your more interesting takes. It doesn't fit neatly into "white guilt" or "Stockholm Syndrome" .... but "it's not the illegals fault they are here, it's our fault for not stopping them. So they can't be held responsible" is a unique stance.

It's like "Well, everybody knows Wal-mart has a policy not to chase down shoplifters. Therefore, I should be allowed to walk in, grab what I want, and walk out without paying. Heck, why does ANYONE pay at Wal-mart when they don't have to?"
More absurdity.

And you are outrageously out of line and utterly dishonest when you quote stuff I never said and do not believe to be true.

And of course it is their fault for being here and if discovered that should be correctly disposed of. But it is also our fault for failing to erect a structure letting us control such behavior.

So why don't you knock off the prevarication and true to understand what it is we need to do to remove this problem? Too much for your mind?

Old 11-30-2020, 04:19 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
If they were living in the USA illegally that has to be put down on the forms. That pretty much disqualifies them from getting a green card.
Gee, that's too bad. Maybe they should have thought of that before they broke U.S. laws, either by crashing the border themselves, or (for DACA) by staying in the U.S. once they grew up enough to know they were here illegally even if through no fault of their own.

Perhaps we should pass a law saying that for people who were babies or toddlers when their parents brought them across the border illegally, will NOT be punished in the way you described, when they apply for citizenship the normal way.

All they have to do, is go back to their native countries, apply as I described earlier (the same way all foreign nations apply), and wait the same waiting period that all other foreign nationals apply.

If we're in a really good mood, we can even deiced that the 10-20 years they have already spent (illegally) in the U.S., is on the house. That time will not be added to the waiting period that all foreign nationals must wait.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:20 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
With the apparent ascendency of Harris/Biden, the far left is once more pushing hard for what they call a "pathway to citizenship" for the illegal aliens in our country. Some of which have been here for years, and some carried across the border as toddlers or babies in their mothers' arms while the parents were border-jumping.

The leftist fanatics seem intent on hiding the fact that all foreign nationals, including illegal aliens who entered or stayed in the U.S. illegally, have had the same "pathway to citizenship" that law-abiding foreign nations have always had. They don't need anything new. Go to the US Embassy in your native country, fill out the forms, pay the fees, and then wait. With the number of border-crashers we've had for the last 30 years, that wait will be a long one, like 10-15 years.

The U.S. has an obligation to its citizens to make sure we don't turn into Somalia North, or Czechoslovakia east, or Alto Monterrey etc. Foreigners coming here permanently should assimilate into the population, not form alcoves where they bring in and promulgate the problems they were running away from in their own country. So we have quotas. Hence the long wait.

But to those who are persistent, and willing to become actual Americans and not merely hyphenated-Americans, they all have the most generous "path to citizenship" the country can safely allow. They must be able to speak English, understand our laws and form of government, and accept them. They must go through a standard medical exam, to make sure they are not re-importing dangerous diseases that have been all but eradicated here but still exist in many countries outside our border. They must demonstrate the likelihood that they will support themselves and not take advantage of the generous govt largesse available here, and already abused by many American citizens.

There are good reasons for all these restrictions, and if they don't want them, then maybe they are trying to get into the wrong country, and should choose another.

But now I hear that our politicians are considering getting rid of a lot of those restrictions. And even more inexplicably, they are doing this only for people who have already broken our laws and entered the country illegally, and have stayed even after finding out that what they are doing, is illegal.

Not only is this rewarding illegal behavior. Be prepared for a lot of outrage from the majority of foreign nationals - the ones who have obeyed all our laws, who have NOT crashed the border or overstayed a visa, but have correctly filled out all the forms, trustingly taken all the tests, kept in touch with our embassies and immigration officials, and who have been patiently waiting for their turn to come in, fully obeying all our rules. And who have conscientiously waited for years, if not a decade or more.

We will get questions, fully justified, saying "Why are you granting citizenship to people who broke the laws, cut in line ahead of us, crashed the border, and illegally taken advantage of America, while you don't grant that boon to us who obeyed all the laws, stayed out, and patiently waited for years?"

Are these far-left politicians ready to answer those questions? DO they even have a good answer?

Old 11-30-2020, 04:35 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Says the blind who refuses to use good sense.

Of course individual border crossers or overstayers are responsible for their actions. And if caught should be instantly on their way out.

That however in no way mitigates the fact that we have allowed 11 million or more to accumulate in the US.

The illegals are responsible for their individual actions. We are responsible for establishing a structure which allows them to get away with it.

Now we are faced with the need to do something about it. Hopefully Biden will lead actions that start to correct the problem.
You want amnesty and in the other thread you diminished the value of the wall system.

Either you are some high school kid or you make money off of minimum wage employees.

Or you're not even an American citizen yourself.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
You want amnesty and in the other thread you diminished the value of the wall system.

Either you are some high school kid or you make money off of minimum wage employees.

Or you're not even an American citizen yourself.
Never stop the prevarication and BS do you?

I support the wall to the extent that the Border Patrol says it is needed for border security. I believe that is the only rational position. We do not need a tourist attraction on our south border.

I am an older American and an Army Vet. I am the retired engineering VP of a Fortune 50 Company. I am 6th or more generations on one side and 3rd on the other.

Let us see your pedigree...if you actually have one.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:56 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Reagan's amnesty was not a "pathway", but "amnesty". My point was to say that when "pathway" has been brought up in the past it has usually included requirements like returning home to apply. That was the case in Obama era too, even though the DACAs were allowed to stay.

No one knows what Biden's pathway means, so its almost moot to even discuss it at this point.

Personally I would be opposed to giving amnesty to 11 million illegals, but it does not sound like that would be the case.

Again, Reagan granted amnesty, while Biden has only mentioned a "pathway". You are trying to reword it into "Biden's amnesty" even though he specifically said "pathway". And of course you have no idea what he is proposing, since he has not explained himself.

Amnesty = One time deal, - automatic.
Pathway= Steps to be taken, - time consuming, - strings attached. In Obama's proposal the "path" would have taken 13 years and included a fine and other requirements. Vast majority of Americans supported such approach, including about 70% of Trump supporters. It passed the Senate in a bipartisan manner, but was iced in the House. A border wall was also a part of that deal.
Step 1: Pay all unpaid back payroll taxes plus interest

Step 2: Return to country of origin and apply to enter legally.

Step 3: Enter the country the proper and legal way.

I agree there are steps to be followed. The same steps every legal immigrant has used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies