Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 08:26 AM

994 posts, read 502,206 times

Advertisements

I mean, this was expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 08:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
We don't agree on much but I'll agree with you here. A lot of poorer people don't have credit cards, and many don't even have a checking account. It's very difficult for these people to buy online unless they know someone who will let them use their card and pay them back. Either that, or buy a prepaid card.

Nothing prevents poor people from having credit cards.

Those with lousy credit scores are more challenged, regardless of income. I was chatting with a neighbor yesterday. His wife has a better credit score than he does, despite she has not been employed for 30+ years.

A debit car can be used instead of a credit card to shop online. That assumes one has an adequate balance to pay for the purchase.

If the masses were to suddenly only buy what they could pay for with cash equivalent , the economy would crash.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:30 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Online sales overtook brick and mortar sales in 2019, pre Covid pandemic.
has what to do with anything in my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am unaware of any state, county or local government that has closed retail stores, in this, round 2 of Covid.

Perhaps I missed something.
you missed it because you agree with the measures that have made entering a retail store an experience akin to going through airport security

Old 11-28-2020, 08:32 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
I take the easy way out. I write checks and they can pick out what they want. I sometimes give gift cards. I don't like the stress of buying gifts and wonder what they want.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 AM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
CORONA + the INTERNET has killed Stores.
2020 is now a Reality.

2020 has been a reality since January 1st.

Sorry....couldn't resist

Old 11-28-2020, 08:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
has what to do with anything in my post?

you missed it because you agree with the measures that have made entering a retail store an experience akin to going through airport security
Other than essentials, I don’t shop retail.

I was at Costco last week. Other than their business decision requiring everyone to mask up, and the 2 guys sanitizing carts, it was business as usual.

Did notice, the hoarders cleaned out TP and paper towels, once again.

Went to a small business pet food store yesterday. Only diff was the huge pump jar of hand sanitizer on the counter.

What’s going on in your neck of the woods?

Old 11-28-2020, 08:58 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
And yet, many of the brick and mortar stores are having amazing sales figures on their online platforms.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:07 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I found everything I needed on slickdeals and ordered it all online and in a few cases had it shipped via amazon direct to the gift recipient with gift packaging. They put all this stuff on sale starting Thanksgiving day morning and through today and this weekend to a lesser extent. Why go into the store? Nah...
I did all my shopping online this year. Bliss. My UPS man loves to talk shop in my driveway about my ‘66 Mustang, which he wants me to sell to him. lol. Never gonna happen. He’s here almost every day now that all my shopping was done online. It’s an annoying amount of boxes but is a much better all-around option.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:10 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Stores were losing their grip due to online before Covid. Now Covid has given people more reason to move away from brick and mortar. Stores didn't stand a chance this year.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,078 times
In any other year people would be posting about mindless consumerism and fools fighting over discount TVs and sanctimoniously declaring that they would NEVER get up at dawn to shop sales.

Now the complaint is people aren’t shopping?

Some people just want to gripe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies