Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 08:23 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Read much? I was talking about masks and all the little snowflakes who whine about having to wear them.

Go back and re-read what I wrote.
I did, you're just being dishonest at this point

See:"So while the government can't force every single person to wear a mask they can enforce business closures. I wish it didn't have to come to that but we have some very selfish people in this country."
You are clearly fine with closures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 08:30 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I'm not in favor of shut downs either - but we have a subset of society who feels that their freedoms are getting squashed because they have to wear a mask (oh the humanity).

So while the government can't force every single person to wear a mask they can enforce business closures. I wish it didn't have to come to that but we have some very selfish people in this country.

Edited to add - I'm not a doctor or a scientists but those people suggest wearing a mask. I do and it has changed zero about my life. For the life of me I don't understand why people continue to make a big deal about it, then turn around and blame the shutdown on the gubmint.
My wife and I have worn masks since it was recommended. We've also social distanced as much as we could. I've worked from home since March. She only have 6 people in her office, so they've staggered their schedules, and yet last month she contracted it, along with 4 others from her office. One salesperson, must have came in contact with someone and brought it back. He did wear his mask, but we think he got complacent and didn't wash his hands, or something. There really is no way to tell. Either way, even if we practice all the protocols, and venture out, we are risking contracting the virus. Chances are, we all will contract it or come into contact with it. There is no way around it , other than staying locked in your home.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:44 AM

923 posts, read 526,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
My wife and I have worn masks since it was recommended. We've also social distanced as much as we could. I've worked from home since March. She only have 6 people in her office, so they've staggered their schedules, and yet last month she contracted it, along with 4 others from her office. One salesperson, must have came in contact with someone and brought it back. He did wear his mask, but we think he got complacent and didn't wash his hands, or something. There really is no way to tell. Either way, even if we practice all the protocols, and venture out, we are risking contracting the virus. Chances are, we all will contract it or come into contact with it. There is no way around it , other than staying locked in your home.
I agree and have heard what you have said many times.

It's a highly contagious virus. Deductive reasoning leads me to believe that masks and social distancing have had no effect in controlling the virus.

We are shutting down an economy and changing the lives of 98%+ for less than 2% of the population. If we do this for covid, why not the flu?

I honestly believe most have had covid and didn't even know it.

If you have a weak immune system or underlying conditions, stay home. Lets let the majority continue to live their lives as they see fit.

In the end, the virus may cause less damage than the masks, social distancing, and the business shut downs across the nation.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:50 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I agree and have heard what you have said many times.

It's a highly contagious virus. Deductive reasoning leads me to believe that masks and social distancing have had no effect in controlling the virus.

We are shutting down an economy and changing the lives of 98%+ for less than 2% of the population. If we do this for covid, why not the flu?

I honestly believe most have had covid and didn't even know it.

If you have a weak immune system or underlying conditions, stay home. Lets let the majority continue to live their lives as they see fit.

In the end, the virus may cause less damage than the masks, social distancing, and the business shut downs across the nation.
Exactly. I couldn't rep you again.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:57 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Shut down or not - if you test positive YOUR SPOUSE is off work for two weeks. If your kid (school age) tests positive, you AND your spouse - and any adult-age children at home - are off work for two weeks - no pay. Can you afford it?

Maybe you can - the first time. Wait til you're on your 4th two week vacation. It's happened where I work. One unfortunate couple has had a sick child (two weeks off), a sick sibling (was over for dinner, now two weeks off), a sick parent (babysits - now two weeks off), and a sick student (she's a teacher) - now two weeks off. NO PAY.

Can you afford it?

That's the policy. Schools may not "kill" anyone - but they have a great opportunity to bankrupt lots and lots of folks - who are now sitting home for two weeks. Well-done, non-believers.
Why is it necessary for your spouse to take off work if you get sick? Just quarantine in a separate room...

Old 12-01-2020, 10:30 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
Just quarantine in a separate room...

Nope. 14 days since the last close contact.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Just quarantine in a separate room...

Nope. 14 days since the last close contact.
I actually heard that it was 14 days after the positive test person in the house had no symptoms, then the 14 days starts.
It's crazy

Old 12-01-2020, 10:39 AM

It's a highly contagious virus. Nope. It's a contagious disease. A highly contagious disease would be chicken pox.an EXTREMELY contagious disease would be measles. Covid is not like that. It's less catchy than the common cold.

Deductive reasoning leads me to believe that masks and social distancing have had no effect in controlling the virus.

There is absolutely no data that supports that point of view, and a mountain that supports the opposite.

The flu has never killed this many in this little time, with no end in sight. But this is about resources - not death - so if it killed NO ONE - it would change nothing. Dead people don't need hospitals.

I honestly believe most have had covid and didn't even know it. What lots of people "believe" is why it's as bad as it is. Antibody tests exist - and they confirm that most people have NOT had it. Best guess right now is maybe 10%. Even 15%. Far from "most."

Practically half the country is overweight, has diabetes, or high blood pressure - you want them to all stay home? Who will write your paycheck?

Doubtful. Because this is a worldwide problem, and whole lot of the world does not care about your business or your nation or your money. We cannot thrive (economically) without the help of the world. Sorry.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:41 AM

It's not 14 days after the "no symptoms" - but it IS 14 days after the last "close contact" - which, for a spouse, I will assume was the day of or day before the test. So - 14 days is actually the minimum. If your child is sick - and they're of an age where you have to care for them each day - then it's 24 days for you - not 14. With no pay. Can you afford it?

If you continue to have contact with your spouse - it's actually 24 days (minimum). The 14 was when you DO put them in a separate room.

All on the CDC website - clear as can be.

(Might be changing though!)

Old 12-01-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
It's a highly contagious virus. Nope. It's a contagious disease. A highly contagious disease would be chicken pox.an EXTREMELY contagious disease would be measles. Covid is not like that. It's less catchy than the common cold.

Deductive reasoning leads me to believe that masks and social distancing have had no effect in controlling the virus.

There is absolutely no data that supports that point of view, and a mountain that supports the opposite.

The flu has never killed this many in this little time, with no end in sight. But this is about resources - not death - so if it killed NO ONE - it would change nothing. Dead people don't need hospitals.

I honestly believe most have had covid and didn't even know it. What lots of people "believe" is why it's as bad as it is. Antibody tests exist - and they confirm that most people have NOT had it. Best guess right now is maybe 10%. Even 15%. Far from "most."

Practically half the country is overweight, has diabetes, or high blood pressure - you want them to all stay home? Who will write your paycheck?

Doubtful. Because this is a worldwide problem, and whole lot of the world does not care about your business or your nation or your money. We cannot thrive (economically) without the help of the world. Sorry.
1. - No, as I stated it is what I believe. Please name the "mountain" that says that masks and social distancing has helped? Where is it at in the USA that no one has worn masks and and not kept social distancing? Yet most everyone has followed the rules and the positive cases keep rising? Sounds to me like it's not working

2. - We have also not labeled the cause of death for people that tested positive for the flu, so there really isn't any data on that, is there?

3. - Where is the data that says best guess of 10, 15% at most? Your big on data, show it. I've never been tested, have been around people who have tested positive. Where's that data.

4. - "Practically half", is that data that your proud of? Underlying conditions would be weak immune, cancer, respiratory issues, etc. How is your weight have anything to do with covid? What if your too thin?

5 - I actually am self employed and am not in retail. Not that it really matters where I get my income.

I wrote what I believe, aka opinion. It was through deductive reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies