Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 01:07 PM

1,969 posts, read 544,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yup. Any forum run by a liberal quickly bans people who present a non-liberal opinion. I once entered a thread (on another forum) where liberals were discussing how wonderful it would be if Sanders got his way to give health care to illegals, give away free college educations, Medicaid for all, forgive student loans, and whatever other giveaways he was talking about, and said it was time to make the rich pay. (There wasn’t a single conservative posting, and I soon learned why.)

I wrote out a detailed explanation, with citations, showing the estimated cost (In the trillions), and how taxing the rich even 100% of their earnings wouldn’t cover the cost. I further explained how the tax increase would have to dip far into the middle class to pay for it all, and when I checked back a few minutes later, the message was deleted. I then wrote to the forum owner asking why, and he answered that we don’t need Trump supporters spouting lies, and blocked me.
oh my goodness! i guess bright side is you dont have to wash their stank off you anymore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 01:10 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I like how you get this from someone blocking someone thats annoying them on twitter. LOL.

This sort of nonsense? Just as true when I say:
Right wingers are the bullies on the playground. They never grow up emotionally. They never admit that they are bullies. They want their way, don't care who they disservice or harm and they will do whatever deed 9 in the back alleys)necessary to achieve it.

Meanwhile in reality...we're just folks with different political views. One of us is here calling the other entire group of folks names. and its you here. Why not try discussing the topic instead of yelling insults at people?
I am defining a group of people who are known for these characteristics. You may feel insulted, but sometimes the truth hurts. You don't get to define what is "discussing the topic" for anyone but yourself.

TWITTER is leftist controlled and anti Trump. They ban and censor any speech that exposes the leftist DEMs.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
It’s true that if I get Covid, I’ll have a great chance of beating it and probably only get mildly ill. However, we lost my aunt to Covid about a week and a half ago. We tried our best to keep her safe (she hadn’t been to church since March) and has not been out in public. But on Halloween, my non-mask wearing, Trumper cousin brought the grandkids to see her and we’re pretty sure that’s how she contracted the virus. It makes me so angry and I’m kind of venting here because it's inappropriate to point the finger at family members who are grieving right now.
I’m worried we are going to see more needless deaths from family gatherings over Thanksgiving because people weighed their chances of survival and decided it was worth it to get the family together. There will be deaths because of it. Hospitals are going to struggle.

I think this is why the “Leftist” blocked the OP. 99.7% survival rate is high, however, if you knew that three out of every 1000 planes would crash daily, how likely would you be to fly? I mean 997 planes would be just fine, so do you go ahead and board your flight? Worldwide, there are 102,465 per day. 99.7% survival rate is like 307 of those flights crashing every day. That might be no big deal to a lot of people but I’d probably be a little too nervous to fly.
not passing the sniff test for me....

Old 12-01-2020, 01:21 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
That is why I never participated in any social media except City-Data. I suggest all Conservatives ditch the rest of them, & cable TV and any newspaper subscriptions theymight have.

These media companies cannot survive with only 1/2 of Americans seeing their ads. Cut them off.
I haven't participated in social media at all! City Data isn't really social media, IMO, but I guess that's open to interpretation. Social Media will be our undoing....our society is unraveling before our very eyes. We have 24/7 news, and virtually everything they talk about nonstop is fear based. Scared people are far easier to control. It's a pretty easy concept to understand, because we can all relate to it on one level or another.

Social Media makes it far easier to spew hate, bully people, promote fake news etc... If you participate, there really isn't any way to escape...other than to just stop using social media period, and only consume media that seems relatively balanced...but in judicious amounts. It's pretty easy to see when there is an obviously unbalanced agenda...just turn it off. '

I'm all for being informed, but I don't need 24 hour a day media to understand Covid is here, the Russians are coming, the coast line will be under water in 20 years....and we're all doomed. All I can do is live my life, make changes that seem reasonable to make our world sustainable, help my friends and neighbors as best I can when they need assistance, and know I did the best I could. If that isn't enough....so be it!

Old 12-01-2020, 01:23 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I think the only thing being exposed is the delusional mindset of right wingers...
No, they are being denied their first amendment rights.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
No the right just likes to live thier lives and have others live by the Bible yet only take things out of it they want too..

If they truly lived the Bible word for word they’d give money to the poor like it says to in the Bible..

No offense but to act like one political side is all bad and the other is all moral and honest you have to have a childlike mentality.
which is exactly what you did here!

Old 12-01-2020, 01:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Not so lefties come up with great facts it’s in the “expert” interpretations of the facts - that is the problem

Old 12-01-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
What you desire is called an Echo Chamber.
presumptuous at best.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:54 PM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
You don't argue facts and logic with people who make emotional based arguments.

So true, many liberals are generally more about feelings and emotions rather than facts and logic.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:10 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Why do I say this?

Well, over on twitter I told a young lefty that she had been scammed, because Covid 19 has a 99.7% survival rate if you get it and are < 70 years old.

Instead of disputing that fact or trying to learn something, I got blocked.

I rest my case.
I'll try to be diplomatic here, and in doing so, will start of by saying I believe your 'fact' is correct. If you are under 70, you have a 99.7% chance of survival.

I try to think about why people do what they do. Maybe she didn't believe your facts. I was skeptical, so before I responded, I looked it up, and you are apparently correct.

So, I don't think most* reasonable people will completely block someone because they don't like their facts, I think there is more to it than that. Maybe emotions, maybe different perspective, or something else. Unfortunately, she blocked you, so if you are interested, you'll never be able to find out.

I would counter your facts with the point that it's relevant, but doesn't paint the full picture. I just (as in within the past hour) spent some time with my doctor, who had COVID and recovered. She is young (40-ish?), extremely healthy, and still said she was down and out for 17 days, the first seven of which were complete hell.

Some people who "don't die" have permenant damage, I hope and pray my doctor is not one of them. But some do. Others may infect a loved one above the age of 70, and could potentially have to live with the knowledge they caused them to die. There are a million other scenarios that "could" be.

I guess my point is that your "fact" about 99.7% seems to be accurate. I'm not debating it.
But maybe your "opinion" that she was scammed is very subjective at best. Maybe that is why she blocked you? Again, I don't know.

I'll say this, and I'll preface it by admitting I don't always follow my own advice (but I'm trying). Maybe if you don't start a discussion by implying that someone is gullible, or has been scammed, or imply they are stupid, you'll get further.

As for me, I'm curious about why people who disagree with me, why they think they way they do. Sometimes I go to words like Gullible and Scammed, but I know in my heart, it's not going to lead to anything productive. (So again, I'm trying to do less of that.)

I do understand your comments about overreach too, and really think they are legit, but I also understand human nature to protect our loved ones, and not bring harm to them. I am curious how people feel that it's OK to tell 70+ people that they have to stop living their liberties, just so I can avoid being inconvenienced by not wearing a mask in public, or so I can sit at a bar and drink until midnight.

I'd love to find people I can have a productive discussion and exchange of ideas with. I know I'll never convince them, and they likely won't convince me, but maybe we'll both understand each other a little better, gain a bit of empathy, and maybe, just maybe we each move a tiny bit toward compromise. We won't FIX the whole thing, but maybe make it a little better.

Just a thought. I know, it's kinda preachy. I wrote it fast, and don't have time to edit. just consider that maybe she blocked you for other reasons than what you assume? Maybe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies