Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 07:01 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
The restaurant owner in the video is in Washington state. The TITLE of the video is, "Restaurants suffer financial fallout in wake of Washington's increased minimum wage".
Mispoke. Still not the same issue in FL though. You can't compare FL to WA. OP is clueless.

Last edited by Mr.Hospitality; 12-02-2020 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
There's no reason a 15 year old needs to make $15/hour...
People get jealous of others all the time... but don't get jealous because people make more than you.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:50 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
It doesn't hurt to ask for twice as much pay and see how it goes.

If you can't afford to eat out, simply don't eat out.
Keep saying that and you'll get what your asking for. How much do you think people will pay for a big mac? Or will all those making $15 suddenly start eating at Le Chateau of High Prices?

Old 12-03-2020, 01:32 PM

1,265 posts, read 445,089 times

Old 12-03-2020, 01:34 PM

1,265 posts, read 445,089 times

Old 12-03-2020, 01:51 PM

230 posts, read 97,568 times
I think this is a lost cause, minimum wage has been in place for a long time and there really is no successful push back against raising the dollar amount.

Small business owners, use to be the American dream. I am not sure about it right now. Especially in certain areas.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Keep saying that and you'll get what your asking for. How much do you think people will pay for a big mac? Or will all those making $15 suddenly start eating at Le Chateau of High Prices?
You overestimate the amount of human labor required to make a Big Mac. Fastfood jobs are being automated through innovation.

Le Chateau of High Prices wait staff already make well above $15/hr.

The real concern would be around low paying jobs that can't be automated. Like my car washer.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:04 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times
Before a minimum wage is raised what type of research is conducted to determine if enough businesses can afford to pay a certain minimum wage?

Old 12-04-2020, 03:42 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,122 times
Minimum wage pushes up the wage of ALL workers in a Country.

Not to difficult to understand.

It takes time.. and that might be why some people dont understand it.

If a company that pays 8$ pr hour now, can't pay 15$ pr hour it goes out of business.
But, a FUNCTIONAL company has to increase cost to customer to compensate for that increased cost.
Customer is "forced" to pay a higher price.. but its not a 1-1 cost. Its a small percentage.

Now, customers, who themselves are workers, demands wage increase, to cover increased cost in society.
Their employers will have to increase their wages, and pass that cost on to their customers again.
But, again, its not a 1-1 increase in cost.

Since everybody in the US now have more Dollars.. they can buy more from other countries.
And those other countries buys more American goods...

Old 12-04-2020, 07:08 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Minimum wage pushes up the wage of ALL workers in a Country.

Not to difficult to understand.

It takes time.. and that might be why some people dont understand it.

If a company that pays 8$ pr hour now, can't pay 15$ pr hour it goes out of business.
But, a FUNCTIONAL company has to increase cost to customer to compensate for that increased cost.
Customer is "forced" to pay a higher price.. but its not a 1-1 cost. Its a small percentage.

Now, customers, who themselves are workers, demands wage increase, to cover increased cost in society.
Their employers will have to increase their wages, and pass that cost on to their customers again.
But, again, its not a 1-1 increase in cost.

Since everybody in the US now have more Dollars.. they can buy more from other countries.
And those other countries buys more American goods...
the min wage should NOT be FEDERAL...it should be set at state or local levels....why … because there are 1500 different economies (cost of living areas) within the continental US

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

Quote:

here is an example of what will happen with this 'raising'

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED currently at 7.20

I pay my UNSKILLED laborers (that clean the shop) over $9 an hour, the min wage is $7.2

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$24/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$22/hr each
I have a parts manager...$22/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$14 each
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$12 each
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$9 (2 over min) each

minimum wage is $7.2

the 'government' raises the minimum wage to 15

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 15.. and he will WANT $17 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $17 then the driver (who must maintain a clean license) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

either that or you will make what was 'above' min wage skilled worker to being min wage workers

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....

I would have to raise salaries on mech helpers, drivers, and laborers...not to mention the actual highly SKILLED workers....meanwhile the business will end up failing, why...because it is too costly to stay in business (payroll is the biggest part of my overhead)

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......because as a small shop owner I cant afford to give any more than I am giving

this is just one example of what will happen, if we try raising the min wage anymore

as to raising it to a federal 15/hr remember this about raising a min wage and how it effect/affect other things
and let's not forget the COST of raising it to 15...those workers are NOT going to see much of a raise....

it also increases the taxes on EVERYONE who fell in that zone
increase of income taxes
increase of payroll taxes
loss/reduction of ACA/Medicaid health care subsidies
increase cost of health premiums
increase of state income taxes (if any)
loss/reduction of social benefits such as welfare/food stamps
increase on the prices of EVERYTHING

so possibly half of that raise magically disappears into the pockets of the politicians

the problem with all the fools shouting raise the min wage, is they don't see the big picture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies