Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 07:27 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,951,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post

Since everybody in the US now have more Dollars.. they can buy more from other countries.
And those other countries buys more American goods...
AH, that makes no senses if we raise our wages it will cost more to make American goods and other countries will buy LESS of what me make not MORE. Thats simple economics we can't compete with a lot of places now because of the cost of manufacturing our goods raising their prices will make things worse and destroy Americas Manufacturing base which is already on the ropes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 09:56 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,762 times
abolish tipping, let municipalities establish their own minimum wages and pay them accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
People that complain about tipping either A. should not be eating at restaurants or B. have never worked in a service industry before

Is this ideology only geared towards restaurants? Do people not tip their barbers/hair stylists?
every other country in the world can pay their wait staff and run a business. there's no reason why we can't.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:02 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
abolish tipping, let municipalities establish their own minimum wages and pay them accordingly.
every other country in the world can pay their wait staff and run a restaurant. there's no reason why we can't.
I suggest you actually visit every other country before making that statement. Because clearly you don't have the knowledge to back up what you're discussing. Even this very thread (if you actually read it) points out that other countries have a similar tipping policy at restaurants.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
No, but a restaurant paying $5.63+ tips right now will see that number rise 114% in just five years. Who gets a 20% raise every year?

There are things the public shouldn't vote on and that legislatures shouldn't get involved in, minimum wages is one of them. Why stop at $15? Why not $25 an hour? Why not $50? The voters and legislators have never had to meet a payroll before.

Other nations that so many people talk about have Youth Wages (sometimes called Apprentice Wages), and wages that increase as they get older and actually a) need adult wages b) learn more and become more valuable.

In the UK, for example, under 18 make $6.08 an hour, 18-20 earn $8.61, 21-24 $10.95 and people over 25, $11.64. That all seems pretty reasonable.

But if I am an employer in FL, I will be expected to pay a 16 year old with no skills, who has never worked in his life, $15 an hour. The result is going to be fewer jobs, especially fewer jobs for teens and the lowered skilled. You will be more automation and self directed interaction.

Take WDW for example. In normal times they have a workforce of 77,000 people. That is a weekly payroll of a minimum $20,000,000 right now. In just 5 years that would grow to $35,000,000 if everything remained the same. Does anyone think Disney will employ 77,000 people in 2026 and beyond? I worked for the Mouse, I sure don't.

As noted above, other first world nations have staggered wages. Sweden doesn't have a minimum wage. Switzerland, as a nation, doesn't have a minimum wage. Italy doesn't have a minimum wage. There are many others.

It isn't exclusive to parts of the country, Dade County and Orange County have very different cost structures.
repped.

there's many things that the public and congress isn't qualified to decide for the masses, yet they pass laws on or it is put up for vote.
how much of obamacare was drafted by people who actually work in the medical field, on the operations side?
democracy in a country full of idiots is doomed to fail.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I suggest you actually visit every other country before making that statement. Because clearly you don't have the knowledge to back up what you're discussing. Even this very thread (if you actually read it) points out that other countries have a similar tipping policy at restaurants.
I've been in my fair of restaurants across asia and europe, and a few in south/central america and the caribbean.
there was no mandatory tipping.
the tipping that took place was from americans who brought their habits and customs with them.

furthermore, the price you see is the price you pay, all taxes included. the dining experience outside the US is much more enjoyable.

i suggest you not make assumptions about where I've been and what I've experienced.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:14 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Business owners have been complaining about Minimum wage since 1938 when the federal law was passed people were given 25 cents an hour. Every time another wage increase was passed business owners would complain that they will go out of business yet they are still there.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:25 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
I've been in my fair of restaurants across asia and europe, and a few in south/central america and the caribbean.
there was no mandatory tipping.
the tipping that took place was from americans who brought their habits and customs with them.

furthermore, the price you see is the price you pay, all taxes included. the dining experience outside the US is much more enjoyable.

i suggest you not make assumptions about where I've been and what I've experienced.
Tipping is not mandatory in the US either.

Visit the countries mentioned in this thread... and you'll see that the tipping culture is not too different than here.

I suggest you not make broad assumptions about the entire world.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:28 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
You overestimate the amount of human labor required to make a Big Mac. Fastfood jobs are being automated through innovation.

Le Chateau of High Prices wait staff already make well above $15/hr.

The real concern would be around low paying jobs that can't be automated. Like my car washer.
Very few fast food positions can be 'automated'.

When I went to McDonalds last night, I saw proof of this, within 10 minutes...first, a customer had made a mess in the mens bathroom, employee had to go clean it up...another customer in drive thru had came in the store, complaining that he was short changed on his order, he wanted a manager to speak to.

Please tell me how an 'automated robot' can go clean the bathroom, and then switch to dealing with an unhappy customer?

Old 12-04-2020, 10:31 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:

actually many countries have gotten rid of the antiquated tipping model, making it out right illegal, or just not common

these include China, Polynesia, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Switzerland, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Estonia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Philippines, Austria, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Turkey

in the united kingdom Tipping is not expected in Britain; however some of the people may tipp in some circumstances such as extraordinary service as a sign of appreciation

Old 12-04-2020, 10:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
That video is misleading and just a straight up lie. Florida does have a tip credit wage for servers. Assuming the restaurant is decent, the employer would never be required to pay $15/hr (which, btw, goes into effect in 2026).

Right now it's $8.56/hr (where the employer is responsible for a minimum of $5.54) and next year it goes up to $8.65/hr (where the employer is responsible for a minimum of $5.63/hr). If a server is not making $3/hr in tips, that server is in the wrong line of business.
When I know a server is making a minimum of $15 an hour I’ll do what I do in Australia and Europe when I go to restaurants there - not leave a tip at all except maybe rounding up my bill to the nearest dollar.

Decisions have consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies